I have a Tosh G900

Guest ripnet

Guest scott_donald
It was the protective tape over the camera.

How was it in normal daylight - could you see the screen if you shaded it with your hand?

Did the battery last for 9 holes or 18?

I'm thinking these factors could be show-stoppers if you intended to use it for GPS - outdoors or in the car.

i stood under a tree... had golf bag on back...

see thats the thing i dont know aboutt he volume thing...

some funky apps from toshiba on a disk i need to play with...

Guest Crazyapp
Hi,

It arrived this morning :) Clove did good

First Impressions

Good

1. Its Faaaaaast. WizBar lite comes up immediately, programs switch quickly

2. The screen - obviously - i can finally see the entire M25 region on screen at once on Mapopolis

3. The keyboard action - its much more 'positive' than the hermes

4. The screen - again - its beautiful. Ive not tried it in sunlight yet (aparently its not transflective, hope its not as bad as the sony T610)

5. The 'feel' of the device is lovely

6. Built in Opera - im modaco plus anyway, but having it in rom is great as its a large app

7. Lack of 'crapware' - the homescreen is pretty much as microsoft intended, (obviously) no orange / tmob crap

8. Its sooooooooo fast

9. Camera button is push and hold - i was forever accedentially pressing camera on my hermes which sucked as it took ages

10. Camera software is better than hermes - the icons make sense :P

Bad

1. Speaker is very quiet, even on max - the hermes had a PA system as a speaker

[uPDATE - It helps to remove the camera protector film, which covers the speaker ;) ]

2. No Remote Desktop client (very very bad - i hope i can lift the one from Hermes)

[uPDATE - Installed a warez'ed Remote desktop client - works, but only up to 640x480, and only in landscape... still thats 4x better than the hermes...]

3. My old Hermes charger doesnt charge it unless its only half plugged in. The Tosh charger is fine tho

Unsure yet

1. Video playback in TCPMP - it can just playback full screen video, but scaling sucks, and goes very slowly. Not done much testing yet, but a sample 800x480 video DID play back. I will post more as I play

[update still seems jerkey on all resolutions - hopefully this thing has a gpu and hopefully someone will make a player that uses it]

2. Screen shape - its a bit narrower than the hermes, but longer. Not sure if I like it yet

Specs

128meg ram, 64meg flash (of which around 54 megs was free)

overall - its definately a keeper

Anything else others want me to test?

g

How did you encode videos de 800x480? Which software did you use? I'm having real trouble doing so.

I'll get my portege next week, thank you for all your replies, you finally persuaded me of buying one :D

Guest Crazyapp

Edited: Would it be possible to get a comparative picture with a hermes or tytn and the G900 set to full brightness? I wonder if the screen is really that bad regarding outdoors use.

Edited by Crazyapp

Guest zwmg

i'm looking for some photos of the hermes and g900 next to each other, comparing sizes (portrait mode and with slideout keyboard).

thx very much.

ps: someone wrote about 12MB program memory... that can be without any programs in background. what is the program memory directly after a softreset without any open programs?

Guest ripnet
How did you encode videos de 800x480? Which software did you use? I'm having real trouble doing so.

I'll get my portege next week, thank you for all your replies, you finally persuaded me of buying one :)

Short answer: MEncoder (linux). Also available for Win32

Long answer:

Mac Mini running MythTV on FC5 grabs raw mpeg's of FreeView (very big files). Then a custom mono script written by me to run mencoder 2 pass.

Its quite nice, fully automated, I just use MythTV's web interface to choose what to record, and wait for my Smartphone DIVx's to turn up :P

Turns out that if you can timeshift, there is more than enough to watch on freeview...

I believe that pocket divx encoder (google it) is a windows wrapper around the windows version of MEncoder...

g

Guest Crazyapp

What do you think of screen brightness? there are reports that it is very dim, almost unusable outdoors. Is it really THAT bad? This is a major point, as it will decide between the flame and the G900 for me.

Also, how good is wifi reception?

Thanks for all the replies and enjoy your device :)

Guest ripnet
i'm looking for some photos of the hermes and g900 next to each other, comparing sizes (portrait mode and with slideout keyboard).

thx very much.

ps: someone wrote about 12MB program memory... that can be without any programs in background. what is the program memory directly after a softreset without any open programs?

There you go - just for you :)

The G900 is a little longer, but it 'feels' nicer in my hand. Not sure if thats just psycological because I just spent over £300 on it :P

g

post-117400-1183541485_thumb.jpg

post-117400-1183541618_thumb.jpg

post-117400-1183541714_thumb.jpg

post-117400-1183541842_thumb.jpg

post-117400-1183541929_thumb.jpg

Guest Crazyapp
There you go - just for you :)

The G900 is a little longer, but it 'feels' nicer in my hand. Not sure if thats just psycological because I just spent over £300 on it :P

g

Looks like you got lucky, ripnet, as everyone else is experiencing crashes and freezes all the time.

Guest Anath

I received my G900 a few days ago and totally agree with the quality of the screen.

However I have noticed an issue with the hardware buttons and keyboard. They don't seem to respond for most games I've loaded and also pocket music player. Also emulators such as morphgear and pocketsnes I have the same problem where the hardware keys do not respond

Anyone else having the same problems?

Ripnet would be very grateful if you could try out some games (such as this http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=25127) and also pocketmusic player and see if you got the same issue

In every other way I think it is fantastic, although mine seems slower than yours and I've had several lockups where it does not come on from standby without a soft reset

Guest ripnet
Looks like you got lucky, ripnet, as everyone else is experiencing crashes and freezes all the time.

The only way I can reliably make it freeze is to try and save something from opera to the memory card. Also internet explorer now just closes when I run it, but I dont really care as i use opera. The IE problem wasnt there when I got it - i t must be somethign ive installed.

Also newsgator reader seems to bomb it. Apart from that, its been stable so far...

not sure about battery life tho - seems to go down a little quicker than my hermes, although ive been using it a lot (eg, remote desktop to home all the way to work = half the battery gone (After 1/2 hour).

Guest scott_donald

i charged mine on tuesday and still not needed to charge and used it alot... ie last night lying in bed with wifi browsing internet and an hour long phone call... sitting at 1/3 battery...

still no resets... touch wood... been leaving it intentionally to go to standby by itself...

Edited by scott_donald

Guest ripnet
i charged mine on tuesday and still not needed to charge and used it alot... ie last night lying in bed with wifi browsing internet and an hour long phone call... sitting at 1/3 battery...

still no resets... touch wood... been leaving it intentionally to go to standby by itself...

Ive had to reset it a few times today... it doesnt seem to like it when you go out of signal (eg into a metal lift) during a opera page download.

Ive also had Opera crash a few times, and IE always crashes when I load it now, but I have loaded lots of software onto it... might try a hard reset and a softly-softly approach to software.

Also it had trouble browsing the web at lunch time, but I reckon the 3g transmitter near work (SE1, London) is a bit funny, as my Hermes often did wierd things when on 3g here, whereas everywhere it (and my g900) seem to get good reception.

Also, the G900 seems very pesimistic about signal strength - ive had a full speed remote desktop connection going on on 0/1 bars 3g signal, without any aparent slowdown.

I havent had any problems coming out of standby, but I always turn it off after use anyway, so i never let it go into standby on its own.

The screen IS a bit crap - its quite overcast today, and I could only just see it outdoors - i reckon on a sunny day it would definately be a case of finding shade, although for me that is preferable to looking at things through a 240x320 peephole of the hermes

Also, EVERY time i save a file in Opera to the SD card I get a hard-lock. If i save to internal ram its fine. Before it stopped working, IE had no probs saving to the memory card, so I call a software issue.

I hope Tosh sort these issues out, as this device leaves HTC devices for dust in terms of build quality as far as I can tell.

I remember when I first got my Hermes (vario2) it used to go to sleep at night and need a reset in the morning. It happened evrey day for the first week, then the problem went away... ive only had 2 nights with the g900 so far, and both mornings its been ready for action whn I woke up (ie, not locked).

I also had a prolonged remote desktop session last night through wifi, without any issues... i guess i need another couple of days with it to determine if its a keeper (which I think it is at this stage)...

ive ordered a 8gb external USB pen (i hope it uses <100ma!) for my movies, which should arrive tomorow. Ive also ordered a SDHC minisd 4gig card to see if it works... would be great if it does, but im not holding my breath!

g

Guest zwmg

one more question.

how much free program memory (toshiba states 128MB total rom and ram!!!) is available (best after a SR)?

thx very much.

Guest ripnet

re memory - there is 128meg of ram, and 128 meg of rom. You lose just over half that rom space for the OS itself, leaving around 50 megs.

I have solved the 'opera crashes when saving files to SD card issue' by installing my trusty old verison of Oracle. I think the one in rom is a bit crappy.

Also, since I removed SPB GPRS monitor, it hasnt hung at all, and the internet is working a lot better... im wondering if this program doesnt like WM6 or non-htc hardware?

I now have another very serious concern - battery life. Yesterday, I used the phone quite a lot, but it completely ran out of juice - to the point of switching itself off. I NEVER made my hermes do that, even when I played with it all day... This thing (like the tosh E800 before it) seems to get through power very quickly...

It might be because im using remote desktop a lot, which seems very power hungry - the device gets quite warm (not Hermes warm, but warm) during a prolonged rdesktop session. I never used rdesktop much on the hermes because of the peephole 240x320 screen..

having said that, ive just downloaded a 22meg mp3 to test opera downloading, and it has used i woudl guess about 1/5 of the battery.. thats not good :)

g

Guest scott_donald

my battery lasted tuesday lunch to firday lunch without recharge... recharged it when i got my first warning message...

Guest ripnet

Update on SD card situation...

MiniSDHD cards... do NOT work... they are not even seen in Resco explorer.

A large 8gb usb pen... does NOT work either - uses > 100ma :) (its a HDSD card, with a USB adapter combo)

so looks like i am stuck with 2gb onboard storage... unless someone knows a 8gb usb pen that uses <100ma

/disapointed

Still dead stable since I removed SPB GPRS monitor re internet tho, so overall still happy with device, provided yesterdays battery dying was a one-off

g

Guest ripnet
did anyone else see that on expansys toshiba are going to solve the problems...

http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=94067

Sweet... did they say exactly what issues? this is rapidly becoming my favorate device ever, (edging out my old C500!) even with the niggles... with a rom upgrade it could easily win it...

As far as im concerned, the main issues are

1. The built in Opera cannot save files to SD card (hard lock) - WORKAROUND - Installed old opera

2. Lack of remote desktop in rom (WORKAROUND - Install warezed version that was lifted for WM5 users)

3. Power usage - it does seem a little power hungry

/happy

btw I tried to sign up to Expansys forums, but couldnt get patch the captcha :)

Guest zwmg
re memory - there is 128meg of ram, and 128 meg of rom. You lose just over half that rom space for the OS itself, leaving around 50 megs.

I have solved the 'opera crashes when saving files to SD card issue' by installing my trusty old verison of Oracle. I think the one in rom is a bit crappy.

Also, since I removed SPB GPRS monitor, it hasnt hung at all, and the internet is working a lot better... im wondering if this program doesnt like WM6 or non-htc hardware?

I now have another very serious concern - battery life. Yesterday, I used the phone quite a lot, but it completely ran out of juice - to the point of switching itself off. I NEVER made my hermes do that, even when I played with it all day... This thing (like the tosh E800 before it) seems to get through power very quickly...

It might be because im using remote desktop a lot, which seems very power hungry - the device gets quite warm (not Hermes warm, but warm) during a prolonged rdesktop session. I never used rdesktop much on the hermes because of the peephole 240x320 screen..

having said that, ive just downloaded a 22meg mp3 to test opera downloading, and it has used i woudl guess about 1/5 of the battery.. thats not good :)

g

and how much free PROGRAM MEMORY (!!!) is available?

thx.

Guest ripnet
and how much free PROGRAM MEMORY (!!!) is available?

thx.

Hi,

Sorry, i didnt check... and ive got everything loaded now... so i cant find out...

g

Guest zwmg

well, actually after a SR or with no program running in background you can tell it. but i will get mine tomorrow, so thx anyway.

program memory is for programs running on system

storage memory is for programs being installed in main storage :)

Guest ripnet
well, actually after a SR or with no program running in background you can tell it. but i will get mine tomorrow, so thx anyway.

program memory is for programs running on system

storage memory is for programs being installed in main storage :)

i see. Ram is the 'program memory', eg memory that requires power not to erase itself, and that is 128megs. as it is now, it says total 112.51MB in use, 36.45mb, Free: 76.05mb

That is pretty good - i think 128 is quite high, and will allow you to run several programs at once. Maybe even enough to not need a proper X button???? im using wisbar atm

Storage is another story though. Ive installed everything non-essential to sd card, and my storage is total:39.28mb in use 30.12 free 9.16

That sucks... flash is so cheap you would have thought they could have stuck 256mb in instead of the lousy 128 that is half used by the os...

At least most things can go on SD

g

Guest zwmg
i see. Ram is the 'program memory', eg memory that requires power not to erase itself, and that is 128megs. as it is now, it says total 112.51MB in use, 36.45mb, Free: 76.05mb

That is pretty good - i think 128 is quite high, and will allow you to run several programs at once. Maybe even enough to not need a proper X button???? im using wisbar atm

Storage is another story though. Ive installed everything non-essential to sd card, and my storage is total:39.28mb in use 30.12 free 9.16

That sucks... flash is so cheap you would have thought they could have stuck 256mb in instead of the lousy 128 that is half used by the os...

At least most things can go on SD

g

thx.

wow program memory is really great. to me that's more important than storage, also 40MB total is nothing and that definitely sucks. you can use the sd card instead, but you can't "replace" program memory...