Upgrade WM6 to Photon

Guest seifip

Guest seifip

Hi!

I'm currently thinking on buying HTC Kaiser when released, but I am very exited about the upcoming WM7 (Photon) and whanted to ask if you have any ideas if it'll be possible to upgrade from WM6 to WM7 or the changes are that big that you'll have to buy a new phone?

Silly question but... Should I but HTC Kaiser or wait for WM7?

Philip Seyfi, fs-studio.eu

Guest Swampie

WM8/Photon is scheduled for release in H1 2008. It then takes a number of months for the handsets to be rolled out with it installed.

In other words, don't expect handsets to appear until maybe a year's time from now - you're in for a long wait.

Guest Samuran
WM8/Photon is scheduled for release in H1 2008. It then takes a number of months for the handsets to be rolled out with it installed.

In other words, don't expect handsets to appear until maybe a year's time from now - you're in for a long wait.

So when is WM7 planned to be released?

Ben

Guest mikeeey
WM6 was nearly just a redesign... WM7 will be

a major release...

it took long enough for wm6 to be finished, how long do you think wm7 will take?

btw we dont even know everything about the kaiser yet so i dont know how we would know if it can be upgraded to wm7 yet. i guess ANY device could be upgraded, as long as they made the rom for it.

Guest seifip
it took long enough for wm6 to be finished, how long do you think wm7 will take?

btw we dont even know everything about the kaiser yet so i dont know how we would know if it can be upgraded to wm7 yet. i guess ANY device could be upgraded, as long as they made the rom for it.

The Kaiser was just an example... I was talking about any new WM6 device... Because as WM7 incomporates some major changes in it's architecture (unlike WM6) I'm interested if it will be too advanced for current hardware, if they would be a lot of features that wouldn't be usable with current phones...

Guest mikeeey
The Kaiser was just an example... I was talking about any new WM6 device... Because as WM7 incomporates some major changes in it's architecture (unlike WM6) I'm interested if it will be too advanced for current hardware, if they would be a lot of features that wouldn't be usable with current phones...

well it also depends how much RAM and ROM wm7 will use, and if by then there will be different a different resolution for smartphones and/or ppcs. the reason some smartphones and ppc's werent upgraded to wm6 was because it didnt have enough ROM and/or RAM, or was so very little that it wasnt worth upgrading for.

Guest seifip
well it also depends how much RAM and ROM wm7 will use, and if by then there will be different a different resolution for smartphones and/or ppcs. the reason some smartphones and ppc's werent upgraded to wm6 was because it didnt have enough ROM and/or RAM, or was so very little that it wasnt worth upgrading for.

If my informations are right, Kaiser should be quite a lot of RAM/ROM at least for taday's standarts... The main question is if the standarts will change during the half year before WM7 release or not :)

Guest mikeeey
If my informations are right, Kaiser should be quite a lot of RAM/ROM at least for taday's standarts... The main question is if the standarts will change during the half year before WM7 release or not :)

yes RAM and ROM i think thers enough. but i have a feeling that by the time wm7 is out the screen resolution will have changed

Guest edgecrush3r

How RAM hungry the OS will be is debateble.. but that shouldnt be the issue to upgrade current WM devices theoratically. Also I dont think that their will be an architectural issue.. because I dont think the supporting HW change much coming year, apart from better cpu, better screen resolution support (and the current OS is already independend from this), better X.

The main architectural differences, will be WITHIN the Kernel, and the way livbraries are now loaded within the kernel.

CE 6.0 (basis for Photon) works with x86, ARM, SH4 and MIPS based processor architectures.

If the OS will be backward compatible... guess so.. but.. well. we have to see, as it depends on the decisions beeing made..

The main operation for this release, is what MS promised 3 releases earlier... one OS for both WM and PocketPC devices...

Within the OS itself.. well.. we dont know yet... new version of Solitair? Media Player, PocketIE that supports javascript?

Edited by edgecrush3r

Guest Confucious

When Photon is released they will anounce WM8 - why not wait for that, or WM9 which they'll anounce when WM8 is released.

There is always something better coming along. Have you learned nothing from PCs? Futurer proof PCs never are!