Flickering screen and CPU problem [Help needed]

Guest afv

Hi,

From some days ago, my S200 started restarting itself sometimes (like once or twice a day).

I thought it was something to do with the ROM but 3 days ago I woke up and the phone was completely turned off. I tried powering it on with the Power On button but nothing happened.. Tried Soft reseting and hard reseting and nothing.. Removed the battery for 10 minutes and then it powered on but the screen started flickering (horizontally, 1 pixel).

Then I saw at BatteryStatus that the CPU speed was jumping from 195 MHz to 91 and 52, randomly (195, 52, 91, 52, 195, 91...).

I searched the net and did found almost nothing, just a forum where they say that 195 Mhz is the normal mode, 91 Mhz big sleep mode and 52 Mhz deep sleep mode.

Even if I overclock it with BatteryStatus, it doesn't maintain the speed, and slows down to 195/91/52.. (Even with speeds below 195 MHz it doesn't fix).

(Sometimes it doesn't enter the Standby mode, it only turns off the screen and the battery discharges in a few hours)

One day I plugged it in at night and in the next morning the phone was charged (green light always on) but I pressed the button to power on the screen, and nothing.. Removed the power cord and the green light kept on. Reinserted the battery and tried to turn it on, and nothing.. Resets did nothing, it was completely dead. Took the battery off and after one hour I put it back, and it powered on (with screen flickering and that CPU changes..).

I think the problem is on the CPU.. I reflashed it with other ROM's just to be sure it wasn't from the ROM (although I used that ROM's without any problems before).

One more thing I remembered, the WiFi isn't working (from some days ago, before that CPU changes...). It doesn't turn on.

Sometimes, when connected to Activesync via USB, it keeps the speed (195 MHz) and the screen stops flickering.

Sometimes, it loses network from mobile operator and I have to turn the phone (not the pda) off and on, or soft reset, and sometimes it freezes and I have to soft reset or re-insert the battery...

:)

Any help appreciated... Thanks in advance

Edited by afv

• 10 months later...
Guest drewspeed

Hi,

From some days ago, my S200 started restarting itself sometimes (like once or twice a day).

I thought it was something to do with the ROM but 3 days ago I woke up and the phone was completely turned off. I tried powering it on with the Power On button but nothing happened.. Tried Soft reseting and hard reseting and nothing.. Removed the battery for 10 minutes and then it powered on but the screen started flickering (horizontally, 1 pixel).

Then I saw at BatteryStatus that the CPU speed was jumping from 195 MHz to 91 and 52, randomly (195, 52, 91, 52, 195, 91...).

I searched the net and did found almost nothing, just a forum where they say that 195 Mhz is the normal mode, 91 Mhz big sleep mode and 52 Mhz deep sleep mode.

Even if I overclock it with BatteryStatus, it doesn't maintain the speed, and slows down to 195/91/52.. (Even with speeds below 195 MHz it doesn't fix).

(Sometimes it doesn't enter the Standby mode, it only turns off the screen and the battery discharges in a few hours)

One day I plugged it in at night and in the next morning the phone was charged (green light always on) but I pressed the button to power on the screen, and nothing.. Removed the power cord and the green light kept on. Reinserted the battery and tried to turn it on, and nothing.. Resets did nothing, it was completely dead. Took the battery off and after one hour I put it back, and it powered on (with screen flickering and that CPU changes..).

I think the problem is on the CPU.. I reflashed it with other ROM's just to be sure it wasn't from the ROM (although I used that ROM's without any problems before).

One more thing I remembered, the WiFi isn't working (from some days ago, before that CPU changes...). It doesn't turn on.

Sometimes, when connected to Activesync via USB, it keeps the speed (195 MHz) and the screen stops flickering.

Sometimes, it loses network from mobile operator and I have to turn the phone (not the pda) off and on, or soft reset, and sometimes it freezes and I have to soft reset or re-insert the battery...

:D

Any help appreciated... Thanks in advance

I'm having the same problem

artemis screen flicker/no activesync/ no internet/ but phone works

screen does not shift in bootloader mode or til just after the bootloader lists the os and ipl/spl stuff

ran original rom from arte wiki

(the 1.12 one)

ran htc official rom update utility for wm6

first time failed at 92% and gave error 270

but, luckily the ipl and spl changed to really high updated numbers from htc update

so I ran update again

install is completes and says successful this time

unfortunately for some reason this is wm5 rom as well, no wm6

however screen still shifts to the left

attempted to install original rom again

results:original rom installed

screen flicker remains

no activesync

same as before

so changing the ipl/spl/gsm/os doesnt do anything, all of those were changed between my two versions of htc software.

It's definately a hardware related problem. Since I don't see a flicker in the boot loader mode or during the first part of ipl/spl/gsm/os loading.

So in this case I would say it was the screen. I think the phone goes into VGA mode when it loads, for some reason my screen is broken in such a way that it is glitching the whole system when VGA is loaded by the regular software. The software is basically setting off the hardware fault in the screen.

Thats the only way it could be a good thing.

I'm not even sure if thats how it is, thats just my guess.

Otherwise my/your phone is probably badword.

sadly