The official UBiQUiO 503G 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

An update on the 503G... due to the fact this is a preproduction unit and still has a few issues to be ironed out, I've decided that I will hold off on the review until UBiQUiO can get me a production unit, particularly as this should only be a couple of weeks away.

Apologies!

P

Guest shadeone

would it still be possible to get some sample camera pictures in the meantime or do you think this will drstically change as well?

my question while were waiting for the review and the actual device to come out is:

what happens to programs that only are able to run in portrait mode? i know theres a function for screen rotate but if you have such a program and rotate it to sideways portrait mode, will it then work? i know some of my emulators have problems in landscape mode on my MDA... so i ws just wondering if you have tested this yet...

shade

Guest craighome

I'd like to know how this device compares to the Dopod C730/HTC Excalibur which wasn't released in the UK (does anyone know what happened to the planned Motorola Q release on 3 network???)

Particular like to know how likely the screen is to crack under pressure in the back pocket/etc (the excalbur is a smartphone with a reinforced screen) and how the keyboard /battery life and weight compare

Got a Hermes at the moment and it's a great device, but want something thinner than can fit the back/ or shirt pocket

Cheers

Edited by craighome

Guest adamzeit
An update on the 503G... due to the fact this is a preproduction unit and still has a few issues to be ironed out, I've decided that I will hold off on the review until UBiQUiO can get me a production unit, particularly as this should only be a couple of weeks away.

Apologies!

P

OH MAN....as someone who just pre-ordered this unit from MobilePlanet here in the U.S. - that makes me nervous! Mainly for 2 reasons....a) the fact that you don't have a Production unit yet makes me think that they will be delayed on their shipments (they are saying July 31 which is a week-plus away!) - and :) one would think they unti they sent to you for review so close to the ship-date would indeed already have the "issues ironed out"? Hopefully the released version won't be buggy...!

Oh boy....please udate us as soon as you can Paul...thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I should have a production unit very soon, and I am dealing directly with the personal responsible for the 503G at UBiQUiO. I have been told there is still another software drop before launch.

P

Guest michehrlich

Delighted to see this thread -- been waiting for it, as I've had my eye on the 503G for some time.

A question, one that is in fact more general to WM 6 Professional but that I'm posting here because it's this device I'm interested in: how is the usability as a phone? I've read people, including professional journalists, complaining about WM Pro as being pretty bad as a mobile phone platform (as opposed to a mobile computing platform, which is its main purpose). Some people say that WM Standard is the only way to go if you care about phone usability. Rumours of things like no automatic finding of contacts when you punch in the first few letters, no profiles, phone numbers in Calendar appointments or e-mails not recognised and clickable (i.e. instantly dialable) as numbers etc... Would be grateful for your view on this Paul, and anyone else's as well.

Guest sooby77

Paul,

How solid does the device feel? The 501 was sort of creaky and the dpad didn't feel solid, but somewhat loose. My definition of solid is the Treo 750's solid feel, no creakiness, everything feel tight and well built. Thanks for your feedback.

Guest galenyip

Another preview of the pre-prod 503g

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index....io_503g_preview

Matt: I've just managed to get my hands on a pre-production version of the UBiQUiO 503G which we shall be reviewing this coming week. As it's not the retail version we haven't got a full unbox video for you but we do have a preview and compare video instead.

Guest holybear

I have an iMate Jaq3, which AFAIK is almost identical to the 501, and the only thing I can say is that if they haven't put the scrollwheel on the 503, I'm not interested.

Petty, maybe, but that was the saving grace of the Jaq3.

Guest adamzeit

Well - I just hung up with MobilePlanet here in the States.....the 503G is delayed shipping into the US !!! The FCC won't let it in the country due to the Qualcomm chip issue...!! They said it will "be a few weeks"....but I think it could be longer then that since the issue is between Qualcomm and the FCC - and UBiQUiO has nothing to say about it!

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul - you hear anything about this?

Thanks.

Guest Gilbert1
The 503G has the scroll wheel.

re: the chipset, i'll check on that with my UBiQUiO contact.

P

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your input on the Ubiquio 503G. I am waiting for my device which should arrive Monday morning. Just curious, why is it that no official review has surfaced for the device? I have seen and participated in the expansys.com forum under the device and have come to know that the device only has 36 mb accessible to the end user which means 155 mbs of the 192 mbs are in use. Martha, a Ubiquio business manager acknowledged the issue and said her team is working on a new rom that will remedy the issue. But surely if at launch time there are issues with the device, why is there that no one has reported them. Why all the secrecy and dark room alleys? This device surely houses a Qualcomm 6280 and according to Qualcomm data sheet, the chip has GPS embedded in its circuits. So did the Ubiquio people determine that it does not work well with HSDPA or UMTS and this is why they asked for it to be disabled?

Best regards,

Gilbert

Guest Paul (MVP)

I am awaiting the final device to do the review, which should be with me any day now. I liaise directly with Martha, and reported the memory issue to her, amongst others that UBiQUiO are fixing :)

The UBiQUiO guys have been second to none in my experience in doing their best to fix any highlighted issues.

P

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your input on the Ubiquio 503G. I am waiting for my device which should arrive Monday morning. Just curious, why is it that no official review has surfaced for the device? I have seen and participated in the expansys.com forum under the device and have come to know that the device only has 36 mb accessible to the end user which means 155 mbs of the 192 mbs are in use. Martha, a Ubiquio business manager acknowledged the issue and said her team is working on a new rom that will remedy the issue. But surely if at launch time there are issues with the device, why is there that no one has reported them. Why all the secrecy and dark room alleys? This device surely houses a Qualcomm 6280 and according to Qualcomm data sheet, the chip has GPS embedded in its circuits. So did the Ubiquio people determine that it does not work well with HSDPA or UMTS and this is why they asked for it to be disabled?

Best regards,

Gilbert

Guest Gilbert1

Hi Paul,

What other issues are also present or reported? Do you know when or if a time frame is available, that Ubiquio will issue a new rom for the 503G?

Best regards,

Gilbert

I am awaiting the final device to do the review, which should be with me any day now. I liaise directly with Martha, and reported the memory issue to her, amongst others that UBiQUiO are fixing :)

The UBiQUiO guys have been second to none in my experience in doing their best to fix any highlighted issues.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I was using a version prior to the shipping release, so it's not a fair reflection on what will be offered for sale. More deets when I get the prod ROM.

P

Guest michehrlich

Got my devices this morning, have been setting one up. Seems good so far. One bit of experience I can already pass on: the box comes with two USB cables. One of them has a yellow connector. Do *not* try to use that one for transferring files from your computer or installing programs or syncing -- it's been included to be used for a future radio update, and doesn't work for normal functions. I hadn't noticed that there were two USB cables, grabbed the first one that came to hand, which happened to be the one with the yellow connector; I thought that sort of odd but used it anyway, and wasn't able to get a connection to my device. Finally called a UBIQUIO product manager who was extremely nice and helpful and pretty quickly guessed what was going on. From then on, it was smooth sailing. Another thing: putting in and taking out the battery is not an obvious maneouvre with this phone, and the instructions are a little unclear -- what they refer to as the "bottom" of the battery seems to me rather like the top, and I guess for most others it'll be the same. If you consider the top to be the end where the contacts are, then you have to seat the BOTTOM FIRST when installing the battery, and unseat the top first when removing it. Hope that savs some people some time.

Guest fire007

my friends I got mine today and although I started to be very happy and smiling I had to stop with it and had to start crying....why?

the device would be just great - the screen with its resolution....wow...BUT - I am not able to use it !!!

The reason is you cannot use the keyboard properly! Typing letters with normal speed (experienced user but no turbo-user) means that nearly every second hit is not recognized so almost every second letter is missing.

Typing e.g. "Ubiquio" in really NORMAL speed will result in "UBQUI" or "LOVE" = "LOV"....oh guys what is this a peace of sh.t or what ???? !!!!

I tried everything, reset, tried with Word Mobile, then in Notes...it seems that the keyboard vs. software part is very very buggy and bad.

Any opinions on that?

He I would hate myself if I had to return the device!

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is a complaint I logged and attributed to prerelease firmware, so UBiQUiO ARE aware of it.

I think their testers all type too slow :)

I'll follow up with the product manager...

P

my friends I got mine today and although I started to be very happy and smiling I had to stop with it and had to start crying....why?

the device would be just great - the screen with its resolution....wow...BUT - I am not able to use it !!!

The reason is you cannot use the keyboard properly! Typing letters with normal speed (experienced user but no turbo-user) means that nearly every second hit is not recognized so almost every second letter is missing.

Typing e.g. "Ubiquio" in really NORMAL speed will result in "UBQUI" or "LOVE" = "LOV"....oh guys what is this a peace of sh.t or what ???? !!!!

I tried everything, reset, tried with Word Mobile, then in Notes...it seems that the keyboard vs. software part is very very buggy and bad.

Any opinions on that?

He I would hate myself if I had to return the device!

Guest fire007

Hi Paul thank you man.

I'd appreciate if you managed to get a commitment from the Product Manager on when they'll release an update, because I've got 14 days period I can return the device and get back my money.

thanks

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'll try... it's useful that someone else can verify this issue now as I suspect they thought I was crazy and typed too fast or something :)

I'll speak to the PM tomorrow and keep you posted. Could you post which ROM version u have?

P

Guest michehrlich
I'll try... it's useful that someone else can verify this issue now as I suspect they thought I was crazy and typed too fast or something :)

I'll speak to the PM tomorrow and keep you posted. Could you post which ROM version u have?

P

I'm not having this issue so far.

I am however having one annoying thing, which is that the red dot key (lower left) doesn't always seem to behave as expected, with the result that when typing a url, for example, it doesn't always revert back to letters but instead stays on symbols after the "." or the "/". I don't know whether this is just me, however, and a learning curve thing, or whether it's actually a bug.

My ROM is 02.06.1_S0707161621(12.190)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.