Cavalier/S630 initial thoughts from a previous Excalibur owner...

Guest dwhitney

Guest dwhitney

For those of you that own the S620/Dash thinking of moving to the newer model (S630/Cavalier), I thought I would share my initial thoughts about the move as being one that has gone through that process.

I used the Dash for about 60 days (back several months ago) with WM5 only (never had the WM6 upgrade on it at the time). I've had quite a few phones (both smartphones and PPC-based devices) and considered the DASH the best phone I ever had. For reference sake, I have also used; KJam, TyTN, P4350, Vox, HP6945. I just gave up the Vox and moved to an S630 and have been using for just the past 4 days.

I was initially a little concerned about battery life given the processor speed inrease (400Mhz vs 200Mhz in the Dash...).

My initial impressions after the frist 4 days?

It is now my favorite phone ever.

Pros:

- Same fantastic screen as the Dash (or appears to be)

- Fast

- Fast

- FAST!

- Did I say FAST? :)

- Feels lighter for some reason (than the Dash)

Cons: (if one is being picky...)

- Doesn't have the rubberized feel of the Dash - feels less solid in a way and 'cheaper' - thus possibly giving it the "lighter" feel weight wise (not sure if it is actually lighter though...)

- Ever so slightly larger than the Dash (but not much at all)

As for the battery life?

I'm ecstatic that I am not seeing any difference at all between the two devices. Let me clarify... I'm a very heavy data user but don't use a lot of voice (maybe 100 minutes a month...). I do a ton of email, web browsing, and local application usage on the device though. I sync 1 exchange account (with all messages and attachments all the time...) and 1 imap account (every 5 minutes). With the Dash, I would typically run the battery down to about 20-30% left by the end of each day and would recharge by habit each night. I was concerned with the S630 that I wouldn't be able to make it through the day. The reality has been that I am seeing the exact same profile but I'm able to do it all a lot faster than on the Dash.

Oh, another important point. While the S630 does have 3G support, I'm not in an area that has 3G connectivity (unfortunatley) so I'm only using Edge in both situations (and occassional wifi - maybe about 20-30 minutes a day on average).

My initial impressions are very positive with the device.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Guest sahli
For those of you that own the S620/Dash thinking of moving to the newer model (S630/Cavalier), I thought I would share my initial thoughts about the move as being one that has gone through that process.

I used the Dash for about 60 days (back several months ago) with WM5 only (never had the WM6 upgrade on it at the time). I've had quite a few phones (both smartphones and PPC-based devices) and considered the DASH the best phone I ever had. For reference sake, I have also used; KJam, TyTN, P4350, Vox, HP6945. I just gave up the Vox and moved to an S630 and have been using for just the past 4 days.

I was initially a little concerned about battery life given the processor speed inrease (400Mhz vs 200Mhz in the Dash...).

My initial impressions after the frist 4 days?

It is now my favorite phone ever.

Pros:

- Same fantastic screen as the Dash (or appears to be)

- Fast

- Fast

- FAST!

- Did I say FAST? :)

- Feels lighter for some reason (than the Dash)

Cons: (if one is being picky...)

- Doesn't have the rubberized feel of the Dash - feels less solid in a way and 'cheaper' - thus possibly giving it the "lighter" feel weight wise (not sure if it is actually lighter though...)

- Ever so slightly larger than the Dash (but not much at all)

As for the battery life?

I'm ecstatic that I am not seeing any difference at all between the two devices. Let me clarify... I'm a very heavy data user but don't use a lot of voice (maybe 100 minutes a month...). I do a ton of email, web browsing, and local application usage on the device though. I sync 1 exchange account (with all messages and attachments all the time...) and 1 imap account (every 5 minutes). With the Dash, I would typically run the battery down to about 20-30% left by the end of each day and would recharge by habit each night. I was concerned with the S630 that I wouldn't be able to make it through the day. The reality has been that I am seeing the exact same profile but I'm able to do it all a lot faster than on the Dash.

Oh, another important point. While the S630 does have 3G support, I'm not in an area that has 3G connectivity (unfortunatley) so I'm only using Edge in both situations (and occassional wifi - maybe about 20-30 minutes a day on average).

My initial impressions are very positive with the device.

Let me know if you have any questions.

thanks for your quick review. Very interesting. I upgraded my Dash to WM6 and I loved it. Battery is short but I always use a charge in the car .... connected to a laptop.... and connect to a charger every night. If in a allday conference, the battery dies on me in less than a day without having the chance to charge in between. :-(

So if speed is the only advantage over the 620, I may skip the purchase. I now own the HP Ipaq voice Messenger, cheap but very good battery. WM6 and VOICE OVER IP which I love. All other functions are same as on the 620 just. smaller screen and no qwertz keyboard. The T9 is cool as I get used to it (miss the qwertz keyboard though a little, just a little)

greetings from Switzerland

Guest dwhitney
So if speed is the only advantage over the 620, I may skip the purchase.

Yea, I hadn't thought about it that way. If one owns a Dash/620 already, I really don't see a reason to upgrade other than if the processor speed of the 620 bothers you that much.

Yea, I hadn't thought about it that way. If one owns a Dash/620 already, I really don't see a reason to upgrade other than if the processor speed of the 620 bothers you that much.

I think that you are forgetting 3G HSPDA :) If you have unlimited data of course.