• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

bb79

bb79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Devices:Vario III!!
Yeah it's a shame but as has been said not totally unexpected. I've had my Lobster for 7 months but I rarely make use of the TV, as there's bugger all of interest on when I have thought to have a look and I can only really get a continuous signal when sitting still in my flat. But the DAB is great and keeps reception well even when whizzing around on the bus. I only bought it cos it was a cheap WM5 phone after the saga I had trying and failing to buy an SP5, but it has served me well even if it is more minger than supermodel!

slimgym

slimgym

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Devices:iPhone, E51
I understand there are plans to change the audio codec used on DAB from MP2 to AAC+ which might render the dab function obolete too! I imagine the timescale is probably a way off but stations might start to migrate from MP2 to AAC+ leaving fewer and fewer MP2 stations as time goes on.

http://www.digitalra...-years-time.php

Edited by slimgym, 30 July 2007 - 07:06 PM.

Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Devices:Acer dual sim thingy..

Haha thats hysterical! :) Their going to have some really happy customers. So when you say more than virgin do you mean more than with the discount code you enter or even more than without the code :P

Currently £157!

http://www.bid.tv/Pr...Type=Categories

At least £100 too much!

M.S

Shuflie

Shuflie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@Shuflie
Down to £150 with only two of them left to go, get one while you can :) Glad I bought mine from V a few months back for £40.

Just had a closer look at some of the auctions on the bid.tv website and I can't believe that there are idiots out there that will actually pay the sort of prices that they do for this stuff. e.g. a pay as you talk Motorazr V3 is £50 from the vodafone website, on bid.tv there is one left to go and the price is nearly £78 + 7.99 p&p. I know that the prices are meant to be dropping but do they ever manage to dip below the price you could pay by walking into a vodafone shop and picking one up right away?

Edited by Shuflie, 31 July 2007 - 09:47 AM.

Posted Image

sxywill2005

sxywill2005

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500
I think HTC should look into doing some cheap little handsets like the S310 to compete with the likes of the Moto L7 etc.

Windows Mobile is a clear plus. My mum hates using a computer, but found Windows Mobile really easy to use for texting, reading her emails on the go and listening to MP3's through WMP.

I hope there will be more £50 Windows Mobile PAYG handsets soon!

My brother got a Lobster 700 TV one as a birthday present a few weeks back and he loves that he has an easy to use phone. His mates say it is ugly, but like the fact it has DAB radio and the mobile TV was a neat feature.

I think Windows Mobile manufacturers need to innovate. HTC has some cracking form factors, but they just don't have the sexyness of a Sony Ericsson. Moto just build poorly built handset anyway, whether Win Mo or not, Samsung actually has done well with the i300, i320 and i600, but they never are seen around in the shops.

m.stephens

m.stephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Very disappointed to hear of the demise of DAB-IP TV.

I have owned a Lobster 700TV since last December. I wouldn't have paid the full price - I am on PAYG and have just got my final monthly £5 credit and am still getting TV for nothing. Maybe if Virgin had priced the TV this way from the start (and made it possible to renew licences without having to clear everything from the phone and reboot!), it might have sold better. The TV worked remarkably well actually, including on buses, but DAB coverage in Scotland leaves something to be desired. I noticed the other day that ITV now actually carries adverts - again maybe if ITV and C4 had done this from the start, they may have made some money.

All in all the concept was technically sound - probably marketed to the wrong people - I am quite happy to watch a full programme on a tiny screen if I have to - as I did 20 years ago with a Sinclair B&W Tv and 10 years ago on a Casio. Unfortunately the content was hardly likely to appeal to the youth market (Virgin's main sector ) who won't watch it on a big TV. The handset design is a bit of a so-what to most people but obviously not to the super-cool trendsetters who are currently looking for a super slim tiny handset. Maybe if they had included 2Gb of memory (stick a micro SD card in) and made more of its "iPod" capability, they would have pulled in people who value capability over appearance.

This is likely to be the last "free" mobile TV offering for some years with mobile TV being restricted to streaming over 3G networks until the frequency mess is sorted out.

On the positive side, I still have a cheap portable DAB receiver which can also act as a portable audio and video media player as well as a phone.

m.stephens

m.stephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I understand there are plans to change the audio codec used on DAB from MP2 to AAC+ which might render the dab function obolete too! I imagine the timescale is probably a way off but stations might start to migrate from MP2 to AAC+ leaving fewer and fewer MP2 stations as time goes on.

http://www.digitalra...-years-time.php

No - the Lobster will be able to handle AAC+ with new codecs being a simple software upgrade - just the same as Windows Media Player etc. Where AAC+ will cause problems is with the people who paid out large amounts for "traditional" DAB radios which are essentially non-upgradeable. Similarly DVB-T is currently committed to MPEG-2 even though there are better solutions out there (ask Sky). A change in the near future would be political suicide for whichever government happened to be in power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users