How to flash i-Mate SPL firmware from memory card

Guest slimgym

Guest slimgym

I bought an SPL with version 1.04 firmware which failed to update to 1.08 giving an indication the handset was already on 1.08. I knew it wasn't, as none of the applicable app unlock methods worked and I could only install the most basic of software. The about screen still said 1.04 too. i-Mate said to book it in for service, but I went about discovering how to update the firmware from the flash, which just over-writes it regardless of the current status.

Needless to say I accept no responsibility for any of this information, it all worked great for me, I was prepared to try it because I needed the thing app unocked and if I had to put it in for service I felt it might as well be bricked :)

To get the firmware files, download and run the latest executable ruu_spl_wwe.exe, from clubimate and enter the IMEI when requested. Leave the disclaimer screen up unanswered without clicking "next".

The files you need are WMIPL.DIP ~ 1 meg and WMUPDAT.DIP ~ 48 meg which are extracted by the installer to a random directory on your temp path. Locate and copy these files somewhere safe, then cancel the ROM update utility as it's job is done.

Place the two files into the root of an SD card of appropriate capacity. As a precaution at this stage I backed up everything else on the card though in the event it was not erased when I did the flash.

Power the phone off, remove the SIM for safety and insert the SD card, replace the battery etc.

Press and hold 6 and then press the red handset button to power on. Keep 6 held down. The phone will power up and display a rectangular status box across the screen, you can release the buttons now. This box will gradually fill left to right and once filled, the phone will reboot, and hopefully with the latest firmware loaded!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yylstar
I bought an SPL with version 1.04 firmware which failed to update to 1.08 giving an indication the handset was already on 1.08. I knew it wasn't, as none of the applicable app unlock methods worked and I could only install the most basic of software. The about screen still said 1.04 too. i-Mate said to book it in for service, but I went about discovering how to update the firmware from the flash, which just over-writes it regardless of the current status.

Needless to say I accept no responsibility for any of this information, it all worked great for me, I was prepared to try it because I needed the thing app unocked and if I had to put it in for service I felt it might as well be bricked :)

To get the firmware files, download and run the latest executable ruu_spl_wwe.exe, from clubimate and enter the IMEI when requested. Leave the disclaimer screen up unanswered without clicking "next".

The files you need are WMIPL.DIP ~ 1 meg and WMUPDAT.DIP ~ 48 meg which are extracted by the installer to a random directory on your temp path. Locate and copy these files somewhere safe, then cancel the ROM update utility as it's job is done.

Place the two files into the root of an SD card of appropriate capacity. As a precaution at this stage I backed up everything else on the card though in the event it was not erased when I did the flash.

Power the phone off, remove the SIM for safety and insert the SD card, replace the battery etc.

Press and hold 6 and then press the red handset button to power on. Keep 6 held down. The phone will power up and display a rectangular status box across the screen, you can release the buttons now. This box will gradually fill left to right and once filled, the phone will reboot, and hopefully with the latest firmware loaded!

I have a amoi e70,the same as the i-mate spl,and I want to update firmware.but i don't have the i-mate spl's IMEI,so i haven't the admission to register the i-mate club,could you send me the firmware files,my e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you.

ceiNogWQ55R12.jpg

And I got a firmware file:

TF_WM5_PUMA_T_AMOI_CHS_VER_03.03_NGT_image.raw

it' address is :

http://www.amcustomer.com/xxcss/upload/oi_...70330000002.rar

but how could I use it??

Edited by yylstar

Guest Knocksock

I had a brand new SPL when it came to the shops in Norway. When the ROM upgrade came I tried it - the upgrade failed, I run it again, and then since the upgrade package checks the IPL version - it stopped (IPL had been upgraded successfully). Tried to find the bootloader mode - but didn't find it.

Tried the trick mentioned above (using UniExtract to unpack the ROM upgrade installation package) - copied all the files, except the Windows installation related files. Pressed 6 and kept Power (red) button pressed down. Nothing happened. Then I tried all the keys on the phone - on my SPL I have to press 8 and power (keep them pressed down) - then it jumps into boot mode, but nothing more happens. The upgrade does not start..

My plan was to remove different parts of the ROM package and re-pack it, but had not time. I ofcourse talked to i-mate about the IPL checking problem.

Any suggestions ? I will try another memory-card - but don't know much more to do without really hack away the check for IPL version which is in the file CoolFlash_Comms.dll

Guest Knocksock

Well, I tried different things. Last - to copy only G3_WMIPL.DIP and G3_WMUPDAT.DIP to SD Card - rename them to WMIPL.DIP and WMUPDAT.DIP (Remove G3_). Turned SPL off - kept 8 + power on (red) pressed down..and hey! It ROM upgraded! :)

Guest Knocksock
I have a amoi e70,the same as the i-mate spl,and I want to update firmware.but i don't have the i-mate spl's IMEI,so i haven't the admission to register the i-mate club,could you send me the firmware files,my e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you.

ceiNogWQ55R12.jpg

And I got a firmware file:

TF_WM5_PUMA_T_AMOI_CHS_VER_03.03_NGT_image.raw

it' address is :

http://www.amcustomer.com/xxcss/upload/oi_...70330000002.rar

but how could I use it??

Well, on the i-mate ROM the IMEI range is infact included in a file called CompiledCode.bin if one use the UniExtract utility (google it) on the ROM upgrade package. I will take a look at the ROM file for the Amoi.

BTW: After the ROM upgrade from SD Card I got an message about Unknown SIM Status (error code..something). I pressed Done, nothing logical happened - wizard for configuring the device popped up, I guess perhaps I was a bit too fast. Please let the device start up, wait when the wizard pop up..then press Next - wait - etc. And it will finally work. Try turning it off and on again if it acts like my SPL. I really thought I had bricked it..

Guest Rachilee
Well, on the i-mate ROM the IMEI range is infact included in a file called CompiledCode.bin if one use the UniExtract utility (google it) on the ROM upgrade package. I will take a look at the ROM file for the Amoi.

what a good news that you will do research on Amoi's ROM cause my phone is AMOI E70..I'm looking forward to the approach of the day that I can update the firmware by myself.By the way,we have not yet got an available ROM package for AMOI E70,what is that "*.raw"..I only know NBF,Bin..etc.

Guest slimgym
Well, I tried different things. Last - to copy only G3_WMIPL.DIP and G3_WMUPDAT.DIP to SD Card - rename them to WMIPL.DIP and WMUPDAT.DIP (Remove G3_). Turned SPL off - kept 8 + power on (red) pressed down..and hey! It ROM upgraded! :)

When you press 8 while powering up what happens? When I did it with the 6 there was no prompt or text on the phone, it just drew a blue rectangular empty box horizontally across the top third of the screen which then started to fill in blue. I don't really want to try other buttons while powering up now I've got it working perfectly but I'm pleased to find out how to update manually if this happens in the future.

Hopefully the code that recognises the key on power up is in ROM along with some code which can't be corrupted by the user, so any failed firmware can be recovered using this method instead of sending it in for service. Personally I think they ought to honour any problems caused by their firmware updater for free, but even if you just buy an i-mate second hand within warranty period you aren't entitled to any support from them, which is a bit sharp practice.

Guest slimgym

I just re-ran the update programme without the phone connected - it extracts either G3 or G4 files depending on the IMEI number you give it on startup, and renames the files from G3_ or G4_ to WMIPL.DIP WMUPDAT.DIP and uses these for the update.

Be wise to use my method above and put the right IMEI number in before doing this update to ensure you get the right version of code for your phone!