ActiveSync "waiting for network", Direct Push stops

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

Sometimes (different times of day, but most days) ActiveSync stops sync'ing. It often says "Waiting for network", but sometimes just sits there with "Synchronising" for hours.

This morning it last sync'd at 08:22, but let me send an SMS at 08:29

When I checked ActiveSync (hours later, to see why an email I was expecting hadn't come) it was sitting there "Waiting for network".

This "Waiting for network" also seems to drain the battery much faster than under normal conditions.

I've done a hard reset and gone back to a Sprite backup from when I first got the device. I'm still running the original WM5 ROM.

At the moment I'm trying timed sync'ing (every 15 minutes), in the hope that if it's temporary network conditions it should pick it up again on the next sync.

Anyone give me any ideas what might be causing this?

Guest gavinfabl
Sometimes (different times of day, but most days) ActiveSync stops sync'ing. It often says "Waiting for network", but sometimes just sits there with "Synchronising" for hours.

This morning it last sync'd at 08:22, but let me send an SMS at 08:29

When I checked ActiveSync (hours later, to see why an email I was expecting hadn't come) it was sitting there "Waiting for network".

This "Waiting for network" also seems to drain the battery much faster than under normal conditions.

I've done a hard reset and gone back to a Sprite backup from when I first got the device. I'm still running the original WM5 ROM.

At the moment I'm trying timed sync'ing (every 15 minutes), in the hope that if it's temporary network conditions it should pick it up again on the next sync.

Anyone give me any ideas what might be causing this?

The data connection has failed with your mobile operator temporarily. It happens. Could be network traffic, or maintainance. Sometimes, caused if moving from 2g to 3g a lot. Turning phone on/off in the wireless manager sometimes helps.

Guest nforsans
The data connection has failed with your mobile operator temporarily. It happens. Could be network traffic, or maintainance. Sometimes, caused if moving from 2g to 3g a lot. Turning phone on/off in the wireless manager sometimes helps.

It happens a lot on my device, especially after travelling on the tube where network connection is unavailable. When i come out of it, it will wait for the network sometimes for ages despite the network connection working. It is annoying, but the problem is usually solved with a soft reset.

Guest chucky.egg

Er, OK. Thanks guys

Flaky connection did occur to me (to the extent that I'm looking at an indoor signal booster for home), but why does AS not recover when IE can use the connection?

A Soft Reset, or disconnecting from GPRS are fine, but only if I notice the problem. It seems to just sit there for hours (literally) eating my battery alive, so if I'm busy it can munch through half my battery in a morning.

Is there some way to tell AS to timeout after N minutes?

Is there some way to force GPRS off/on prior to sync'ing?

Any ideas?

Guest chucky.egg

Not happy.

I'm getting nowhere with solving this AS problem.

ActiveSync just hangs sometimes. No warnings, it just sits there eating your battery.

I've tried using OpenDNS settings (instead of the UK T-Mobile default)

I've tried settings the GPRS "always on" to "On" (it was "Off") and back again

I've tried setting it to update every N minutes (just like in the bad old days, remember that?!)

At the moment I've got 3G enabled again, which appears to have stopped AS hanging (no idea why it should, but it has) but now 3G is eating my battery instead!

I just want a smartphone to get my emails etc. Small and light please, reliable, and a battery that lasts a full day.

Is that really too much to ask? :) :P