To anyone who has installed the WM6 Update from xda developers

Guest IndianaPig

Guest IndianaPig

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try the WM6 for the SPV M700 update from xda developers?

I know this is unofficial and basically a BETA version on WM6 but I am hearing very good things about it.

There are 2 versions available, the more stable version apparently being the MUN version?

Is it worth doing and is there any issues that should be considered beforehand?

Does GPS (and TomTom) and WiFi work perfectly?

I am very eager to start playing with WM6 so I would really appreicate some advice!!

Many thanks.

Guest jimbouk

i don't have a trinity but I do have the Hermes and all the popular WM6 cooked roms from XDA have been worth trying.

Best to read the thread over there relating to the rom in question as that is where users will report any issues.

Guest OzzMosiz

I've installed the pdaviet WM6 rom (listed on on xda-developers) onto my SPV M700. Gps and Wifi work perfectly.

I also like the ability to backup my contact/texts etc to my mini-SD card so when I do a hard reset I can put them back without requiring a PC to activesync them back.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Guest IndianaPig

This is good news that all seems well with it. Hve you had any issues with it that are worth mentioning?

Edited by IndianaPig

Guest Neil5459

Most of the issues are those common to all 'unofficial' ROM updates:

Make sure you know exactly what you are doing, because there will be no warranty support if things go wrong.

Be prepared to write off the device if things do go badly wrong with the hardware, and you can't reapply the original Orange ROM (thus being unable to ask for a warranty repair- thougbh some users have reported successful warranty claims with modded ROMs)

Prepare the update well- apply any SIM/CID unlockers, and Hard/Soft SPL bootloaders before trying to update the ROM

Research what you need- there are now about 9 or 10 WM6 ROMs for the Trinity; check all the relevant threads on XDA Devs

Back up you essential data to a PC, and have all your registration codes to hand for applications- you can't restore a backup set after a ROM update (despite what Sprite etc may tell you- most people trying this have big problems)

I've tried a number of the different WM6 ROMs on my M700, and in general they are all pretty good. My preference is for the Mun-Rus versions, especially the new Indigo Lite, which gives 60MB free storage memory and is blindingly fast, as it omits a lot of the unnecessary stuff (for me at least- I don't use Instant Messaging, Transcriber etc, etc)

A word of warning if you use TomTom Navigator. Some of the new ROMs are based on the DOPOD WM6 ROM. This has a bug in it which changes the Device Code after every hard reset. TomTom will not issue extra Activation Codes to account for this as it breaches their licensing policy. Indigo Lite is affected, but apparently Indigo Full is not, as it uses the very latest DOPOD ROM , which has been fixed. There are reports however, that Indigo Full causes some problems with WiFi.

Mun Rus TE and Indigo Lite have both worked well for me. The WiFi has no progblems. GPS is not affected by these ROM updates, because GPS is a part of the Radio ROM, which is not updated with these ROMs. As long as you have a GPS enabled Radio ROM (1.30.00.11 onwards) all should be fine with the GPS. Radio 1.38 still seems the most stable.

Guest IndianaPig

Thanks for the advice.

Funnily enough my next question was going to be about reverting back to WM5.

Presumably the posts I have read about about people rolling back to WM5 are untrue? Or it is possible after a successful update to 6 to go back to 5?

Guest Thumper Net

It is true you can roll back to wm5 from wm6 i have done that 2 times as i wanted something from the original extended rom , it does though take 2x longer to flush the wm5 back though :) if you are unsure of what you are doing then its best to wait for the offical rom update for your phone

Guest OzzMosiz

First thing I tried was to install a copy of the WM5 Orange ROM over my M700 - when this worked I put the pdaviet ROM on - works lovely - though every now and then it can be sluggish, but this happened with the Orange WM6 ROM too.

Edited by OzzMosiz

Guest IndianaPig

Thumper Net - You say wait for the official Orange WM6 update, but I am correct in saying that we will not see an official update for the SPV M700?

Edited by IndianaPig

Guest OzzMosiz
Thumper Net - You say wait for the official Orange WM6 update, but I am correct in saying that we will not see an official update for the SPV M700?

I heard over on XDA that Orange would not be providing WM6 upgrade. HTC? Not sure.

Guest danfulton

I installed the AX3L rom this weekend and am very impressed with it.

Seems much faster than the WM5 rom, and gives you much more memory to play with than the original rom.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an upgraded WM6 for the trinity for over 2 months now. V impressed. Although it wasn't really needed, i did it for fun. Anyway, all works great. Battery life will not be as good, especially if you surf using 3G. There is a problem with these roms that once you've surfed, you need to go to comms manager and hit the phone icon to switch it off and then on again. If you don't the battery will drain quicker, like a lot quicker.

TomTom 6.03 is what you need (updated version for the M700/Trinity). Be careful, some WM6 roms will reset your device code which means you'll have to persuade tomtom to let you use the "new device" (some guys were told by tomtom, sorry, breach of terms, ta ta). Muns rom didn't do that, so I'd didn't have that problem. However, I did have tomtom freeze every now and then, which happens with most other roms as well, and with other phones running tomtom 6. Download and install this cab to fix the problem "ATIFix.cab". Not attached, just google it, you'll find it.

Pugs

Guest djfuego

I haven't bricked my phone yet but it've tried 2 roms so far and they have worked great. I can roll back to the original rom if need be. I don't surf much unless it's wifi, still waiting for a decent VOIP config. The WM6 expirence is a breath of freash air.

• 4 weeks later...

My SPV M700 has developed a fault with the GPS ;)

The trouble is, I've flashed the ROM to WM6 and therefore need to flash it back again before returning it. Can anyone provide me with the original Orange WM5 ROM?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chelskifl

;) im try to put my m700 back to original as well ive got hold of original rom but dont know hoe to apply

My SPV M700 has developed a fault with the GPS :(

The trouble is, I've flashed the ROM to WM6 and therefore need to flash it back again before returning it. Can anyone provide me with the original Orange WM5 ROM?

Cheers

Guest OzzMosiz
My SPV M700 has developed a fault with the GPS ;)

Cheers

linxbox, do you still need the original Orange WM5?

Guest nodrog2

Hi, I have and XDA Orbit I am new to all this stuff but I have updated my ROM to Artemis Touch WWE WM6 (think I got that the right way round) had to use a USPL prog also from the same site to unlock the phone first but have had no problems. If I was gonna be picky I'd say the Battery Life ain't so good but then I am using my phone a lot more due to the ease of the interface. I'd say go for it and upgrade, just make sure you remove any memory cards first and back everything up too.

GOOD LUCK!

Guest Terminal
Hi, I have and XDA Orbit I am new to all this stuff but I have updated my ROM to Artemis Touch WWE WM6 (think I got that the right way round) had to use a USPL prog also from the same site to unlock the phone first but have had no problems. If I was gonna be picky I'd say the Battery Life ain't so good but then I am using my phone a lot more due to the ease of the interface. I'd say go for it and upgrade, just make sure you remove any memory cards first and back everything up too.

GOOD LUCK!

I am using Bepe's WM6 Rom minus TOMTOM and have found it a massive improvement on WM5 re: speed, memory etc...

• 1 month later...
Guest plasticpig72

GOOD LUCK!

O2 XDA upgrade to WM6 is available from 02 FOC and has been for some time now.