Lend your support to a generic updater tool

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm very pleased by many pledges of support both on here and via email, from some VERY respected companies!

Did you talk to Amit (SBSH) ? I talked to him when your first posted about this here, and he said there'd be a chance of supporting/joining your app ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

Heya!

Obviously development was on hold while I sorted out the MoDaCo move... but after the new final release of CamerAware ships out (v shortly) then this will be on the cards again.

Thanks for your patience, it's gonna rock ;)

P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest vicott

This would be a cool idea. I've always wanted a simple way to notify users of software updates. I'm interested to join in the fun. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

OK peeps, I will shortly be creating a closed Beta area for developers to help me refine the application (and add support for their apps of course!)

Currently all the mechanics are in place, just the UI to finish really! :D

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Sounds a great app .. I shall be watching this one.

Paul ... another idea for you, which might or might not tie into this app:

A lot of us here on MoDaCo, and also Xda Devs apply new ROM images to our devices. Sometimes it is convenient to re-apply a backup image, other times it is better to reload the applications which we have installed, and review each app.

How about:

A program which you can launch, that holds the list of installed apps, knows the location of the cab files, and maybe the registration information too. Then you have a set of tick boxes, can select the apps to re-install. A radio button to choose the install location (or go for the default which you have set, say "Storage Card").

The app will then go through a routine of installing each app, onto the device for you. Could also include rebooting, registration and updating as we go.

This would mean a clean install of all apps, and not a restored from backup suite.

Cheers

Tom

Guest WearTheFoxHat
OK peeps, I will shortly be creating a closed Beta area for developers to help me refine the application (and add support for their apps of course!)

Currently all the mechanics are in place, just the UI to finish really! :D

P

Add me to the beta if you want Paul. I've got so many apps installed on this device, to give it a damn good test ;-)

Guest chucky.egg

Wow, thats come on some way Paul!

Lookin' good

@WearTheFoxHat:

Only applications that support AppToDate will be update-able. Adding support is very simple, but until developers do it you won't be able to get the updates this way - Paul seems to have a ton of developers waiting in the wings though.

Guest Paul (MVP)

1) Get engine working

2) Get a usable UI

3) Get a Beta out

4) Get lots of people using the Beta

5) Sex up the UI

6) Release!

Don't worry mono, i'm building in provision for showing the app icons etc. :D

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat
@WearTheFoxHat:

Only applications that support AppToDate will be update-able. Adding support is very simple, but until developers do it you won't be able to get the updates this way - Paul seems to have a ton of developers waiting in the wings though.

Yeah, I realise that it will have to be "enabled" by the developers. But from reading the thread, and all of Paul's contacts within MoDaCo Plus, I'm sure the list will be growing as the application goes through the various beta cycles and matures.