The official 'I got my TyTN II thread'

Guest PaulOBrien

I've just got mine, and must say first off I was nicely surprised by CityLink delivery form Handtec.co.uk, as I've got my Kaiser first thing in the morning on my desk at work. :) Anyway, box is lovely, as well as device itself. One unpleasant surprise, tough - putting SIM card on the fly (while device was on already), caused instant crash. :( It just switched off itself straight away after putting the card in. Not nice. :( But anyway, I'm going to explore my Kaiser today extensively, and as someone already mentioned - I wonder how much work I'll get done today. ;)

Btw, hello to all modaco users - this is my very first addition here. :)

Edited by evad

Guest steveoidm
Does the TYTNII fit in the Orginal Hermes Brodit car holder, anyone know?

Is the USB port in the same place (looks like it from photos...)

apparantly the usb is in a different place so no... not 100% on this though.

Guest m3100tony

Dear All,

I am intreaged that so many of you appear to be buying these devices. What contracts are you all on?

I figured most people on here would be on a contract, and hence get these devices free when they are up for an upgrade (typically in month 9 of a 12 month contract for £35/month contracts on orange). Whats the deal here - why are you all buying your Kaiser when you could get this free (probably)?

If you are on SIM only deals or on pay as you go, are there any good unlimited data deals out there.

P.s. anyone know when the Kaiser is on orange!!

Thanks

Guest Sonicr360

Hi Everyone

After talking to Vodafone, and talking to someone who seems to know the difference between a SIM, 3G and a phone, I have ordered a NEW SIM which will be in the post.

As someone mentioned, it was free of charge. Thanks to whoever told me this.

The "G" indicates its WAP enabled and does use GPRS - When the new SIM arrives, I have to activate for 3G

Interestingly, they could not tell me what their price plans are for this... told me to goto vodafone.co.uk - does anyone have the actual link for 3G costs?

Also, called Expansys and tried to offer the "Modoco Tytn II" - guess what?? Never heard of it .... was told this device does not exist. Explained its on their site, and they were adament it was NOT!!!

So after a lenghy debate, and giving them the link and the product code, they found it! Guys name was Rob Barclay if anyone is interested.

Just got the email to say its been orderd, however they could NOT confirm it would be sent today ! So a little annoyed - I know their service leaves alot to be desired, but I can wait.

I just hope it does not crash or cause issues like the exec does! I will be pleased to let my XDA EXEC go now, as its quite heavy (at least based on the stats between the Exec and Tytn II).

I would like to take this chance to thank Paul for all his hard work and information about this. I know there was some complaints about getting alot of emails about this, but I for one am VERY grateful for this. And what on earth is wrong with the delete key!!

For those that do not like it ... delete it! Without sites like coolsmartphone, 4winmobile.com and Mod - I do not believe most of us would have so much valuable info at our fingertips!

Well Done

Simon

P.S. Will report back my findings whenever it arrives.

Guest robertchinneck

Thought people might find this page useful. It lists APNs for UK providers as well as other settings.

http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

I found this page when I first flashed my T-Mobile Vario II with a HTC ROM and also when I got a HTC P3600 from Expansys. My T-Mobile SIM card worked straight away in both HTC flashed phones, but for web and email access I needed to enter my service provider's APN (for GPRS and 3G).

Rob.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I've just got mine, and must say first off I was nicely surprised by CityLink delivery form Handtec.co.uk, as I've got my Kaiser first thing in the morning on my desk at work. ;) Anyway, box is lovely, as well as device itself. One unpleasant surprise, tough - putting SIM card on the fly (while device was on already), caused instant crash. :D It just switched off itself straight away after putting the card in. Not nice. :D But anyway, I'm going to explore my Kaiser today extensively, and as someone already mentioned - I wonder how much work I'll get done today. :D

Btw, hello to all modaco users - this is my very first addition here. :wub:

Er, that's by design, opening the SIM holder should power off the device.

P

Could someone post some photos with the kaiser camera at maximum quality?

I don't know what quality exactly this picture is, but it's the very first Kasier's picture, which I did just a while ago. I've just started off the camera, and shoot. No options tweaked, no nothing. And frankly - I am very, I mean VERY surprised with it's good quality. :)

post-206478-1188989759_thumb.jpg

SonicR360 -

Vodafone UK charge £1 for up to 15Mb in any one day (midnight to midnight) then something like £3 per Mb.

You can also pay £7.50 per month to get 120Mb per month for free, if you go over that limit, you'll then pay the £1 per day... as above.

(The good thing is that Vodafone Live! services like MobileTV don't eat into your data allowance, so streaming Sky Sports etc. for ages isn't a worry...)

Guest Shuflie
I don't know what quality exactly this picture is, but it's the very first Kasier's picture, which I did just a while ago. I've just started off the camera, and shoot. No options tweaked, no nothing. And frankly - I am very, I mean VERY surprised with it's good quality. ;)

Not bad, in fact good enough to guess that you're a website designer who's playing while they should be working. :wub:

Guest Syphon Filter

Mine came in before 08.30 this morning!!!

I hadnt even got into the office and it was there waiting for me on the desk!!

Great little device, havnt really done much with it. EXCELLENT packaging...like the box a lot. It does come with a case, but expansys didnt list that on the description so I got two!! Nevermind, one of the guys at work bouhgt it off me as it fits his phone in quite nicely too!!

I will have more of a play when I get home, I need to get some applications installed and then i will give it a real thrashing...

EDIT:

My reception seems really poor in the TyTN II compared to the old TyTN/M3100 I have.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

has anyone managed to get google maps working with the inbuilt GPS receiver? Do I need to do anything special to make it work?

My "External GPS Settings" are as they were out of the box, yet google maps does not seem to want to connect properly.

Guest Samuran

Good Afternoon All

I wish I could say I have got my Kaiser but its just so expensive! I think I'm going to have to wait till the operators start offering it and go with them... probably from T-mobile.

I don't supposed anyone has anymore news on when the operators will start offering this?

Cheers

Ben

Guest pestekkorna
Good Afternoon All

I wish I could say I have got my Kaiser but its just so expensive! I think I'm going to have to wait till the operators start offering it and go with them... probably from T-mobile.

I wish I could say I got one too but unfortunately I still have to wait.

If I buy the Kaiser on USA site, will the warranty be valid in europe (france)?

Thank you for your attention and enjoy your tytn!!!

;)

Peste

evad could you tell me how much available RAM you have after a reboot and the total amount of RAM available? thnx

I have already installed whole bunch of my favorite applications, so the amounts are not related to the out-of-the-box device, however at the moment I have 101.38 MB total RAM, and 70.04 MB free.

has anyone managed to get google maps working with the inbuilt GPS receiver? Do I need to do anything special to make it work?

My "External GPS Settings" are as they were out of the box, yet google maps does not seem to want to connect properly.

Google Maps are working out of the box with built-in GPS chip. No changes in configuration needed. Same with Tom Tom, however it took few minutes for GPS to fix position. Maybe you should wait longer - it usually takes a while before GPS data is obtained, especially with brand new devices...

Guest Syphon Filter
Google Maps are working out of the box with built-in GPS chip. No changes in configuration needed. Same with Tom Tom, however it took few minutes for GPS to fix position. Maybe you should wait longer - it usually takes a while before GPS data is obtained, especially with brand new devices...

Not working at all for me, I dont have TomTom installed yet to try. But it's as if my GPS unit doesnt actually work...I will have to get tomtom installed and then try I guess...

How sensitive is the GPS receiver?

I have a HTC Trinity which uses Qualcomm chip & HTC Artemis the Sirf III chip. I always go back to the Artemis as the GPS is much more sensitve.

Guest magic_peanuts
How sensitive is the GPS receiver?

I have a HTC Trinity which uses Qualcomm chip & HTC Artemis the Sirf III chip. I always go back to the Artemis as the GPS is much more sensitve.

Prepare to be disappointed, this is a Qualcomm chip too.

Guest Syphon Filter

Both I would say.

As for the GPS...I still cant seem to get google maps to connect. It doesnt do anything!! It's almost as if Google Maps times out too quickly while waiting for the GPS to pick up satellites.

IS there a way of testing the GPS unit itself and just viewing lat/long data etc? I dont know whats going on...it doesnt seem to work at all for me at the moment. I guess I will have to wait until I can get tomtom or something installed to test it properly....

As for the GPS...I still cant seem to get google maps to connect. It doesnt do anything!! It's almost as if Google Maps times out too quickly while waiting for the GPS to pick up satellites.

Possibly. Try Tom Tom. As I said, I've been waiting few minutes for GPS signal to fix the position in TT, but once that was done - both TT and Google Maps were working fine with Kaiser. I'm going to test it more today on the way back home (London N1 to TW14), so I might be able to tell more in regards of GPS accuracy and sensitivity...

Guest damianbyrne
SonicR360 -

Vodafone UK charge £1 for up to 15Mb in any one day (midnight to midnight) then something like £3 per Mb.

You can also pay £7.50 per month to get 120Mb per month for free, if you go over that limit, you'll then pay the £1 per day... as above.

(The good thing is that Vodafone Live! services like MobileTV don't eat into your data allowance, so streaming Sky Sports etc. for ages isn't a worry...)

You might be able to get the Vodafone unlimited tarriff for £25 per month (and apparently they mean unlimited), a bit steep I know but it might work out cheaper in the long run.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.