Remove High Pitched Beep

Guest greenie

Guest greenie

I would like to prevent/remove the sound that plays every time you press the Call button when making a call or when you make an error. The sound file that corresponds to this noise is called Ding-0809.wav and is locted in the Windows folder. However I have recently been unable to access the Windows folder of my phone from my PC (even though I have 'Show hidden files and folders' switched on).

Is there a registry setting I can change to prevent this sound from playing?

Guest paholman
I would like to prevent/remove the sound that plays every time you press the Call button when making a call or when you make an error. The sound file that corresponds to this noise is called Ding-0809.wav and is locted in the Windows folder. However I have recently been unable to access the Windows folder of my phone from my PC (even though I have 'Show hidden files and folders' switched on).

That's strange. I don't have Ding-0809.wav on my device at all

The registry sounds are in "HKCU\Control Panel\Sounds" and "HKCU\Control Panel\SoundCategories"

I think the sound you are referring to is CallStart.wav on my phone, so the registry keys could be:-

HKCU\Control Panel\Sound\Dialling

HKCU\Control Panel\SoundCategories\CallStart\DefaultSound

One simple suggestion, try something similar to the advice in this topic here, and overwrite Ding-0809.wav or CallStart.wav with a silent wav file., such as sdsilence.wav also found under \Windows.

Hope this helps

That noise is corresponding to this registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\CallStart\InitVol

Change that to ZERO and you shouldnt have a beep. I used total commander v2 for changing registry (get it here: http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm).

Once you install it (you have to have your phone "application unblocked" - search forum), you change the registry differently from windows XP. You browse to the root of the folders (press back until it goes no further) and at the top most folder, you see "\\" folder. The registry folder is in there.

Hope this sorts out the annoying beep.

Edited by dyu

The registry sounds are in "HKCU\Control Panel\Sounds" and "HKCU\Control Panel\SoundCategories"

I think the sound you are referring to is CallStart.wav on my phone, so the registry keys could be:-

One simple suggestion, try something similar to the advice in this topic here, and overwrite Ding-0809.wav or CallStart.wav with a silent wav file., such as sdsilence.wav also found under \Windows.

Hope this helps

I would like to try the replacing the Default.wav file with a blank one, however whenever I have tried to rename/delete/write over the file I always get an error saying that it cannot be done. What method must I use to be able to to this?

It was somwhere on that forum. Instead of replacing default sound with an empty wav file, edit the above registry keys (not sure which one is the ONE, so edited both). As value enter "-none-" (without " "). It just worked with my phone, as today I had to hard reset my phone and trying to get to my old settings. If you cannot change registry keys, nor delete files from Win folder, your phone is probably blocked.Try to search for application unlock solution for your phone/operator.

To my knowledge (I used SDA Application Unlock) my phone is unlocked but I still can't delete/rename the file. The reason why I don't want to use the registry editor method and just replace the file with a blank one is becasue the same file is also used for all the other error message noises (such as pressing right on the d-pad when you're at the end of a line when creating a new SMS).

I also am having a problem with this.

I know my phone is fully unlocked as I can run omap overclock utility which wouldn't run before unlocking it.

I have used the registry editor in total commander and the pc based registry editor that links to the phone,and can change the value of the registry for callstart to 0, it's default is 2.

It works until I change profile or restart the phone !

I know the value has been changed because if I change it then come out of total commander and go back in it still reads the value I set it to.

However I can't seem to make the change permananent and it's driving me nuts.

I work in an environment where I can have my phone on silent or vibrate but it still makes this extremely annoying sound.

Does anyone know how to make this registry change permanent ?

Thanks

Edited by mrmond

Guest metaldave
I also am having a problem with this.

I know my phone is fully unlocked as I can run omap overclock utility which wouldn't run before unlocking it.

I have used the registry editor in total commander and the pc based registry editor that links to the phone,and can change the value of the registry for callstart to 0, it's default is 2.

It works until I change profile or restart the phone !

I know the value has been changed because if I change it then come out of total commander and go back in it still reads the value I set it to.

However I can't seem to make the change permananent and it's driving me nuts.

I work in an environment where I can have my phone on silent or vibrate but it still makes this extremely annoying sound.

Does anyone know how to make this registry change permanent ?

Thanks

Found a solution which works fine!

(This one stays when changing profiles) Use a registry editor for your Vox (e.g. Mobile Registry Editor) and go to the key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\CallStart' and remove the value of the string 'Script'.

Edited by metaldave

• 3 weeks later...

That is briliant.....works fine.

Found a solution which works fine!

(This one stays when changing profiles) Use a registry editor for your Vox (e.g. Mobile Registry Editor) and go to the key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\SoundCategories\CallStart' and remove the value of the string 'Script'.

• 6 months later...
Guest LechuckE650

Hope this helps

Trust me to be awkward but I want to turn the beep back on again. Is there a way of doing it without reg editing as it stopped working without going into the registry? One day it was there then after I switched phone to silent then back to my profile it didn't work anymore.

G.