PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Banner gone for Plus / Ad Free members as promised.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

little_mumford

little_mumford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2
that new Yahoo add you have isnt being picked up by ad-block now anyway.... and i have disabled ad-block ;)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
Oh but that Yahoo 'ad', crafted by my own fair hand, is a work of art ;)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

pndragon

pndragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:HTC - Kaiser (AT&T Tilt)

Oh but that Yahoo 'ad', crafted by my own fair hand, is a work of art ;)

P

However, even that CAN be removed by ABP by selecting the element and creating a new filter rule.

* FYI - not only did I jump to click that ad the momment I saw it - I downloaded and tried the software. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my SMT5600 BUT the point is that I gave it the go.

NOW, to add maybe a little fuel to this fire here, I'd like to see what people's opinions are on that matter. I mean I not only SAW the ad, but also clicked it, and now - that specific ad will be useless to me so I've decided to block it with ABP. Am I still leeching or have I played my part?

everton2004

everton2004

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Devices:Xperia X1 (WinMo 6.5)
Consider Modaco ads unblocked! I don't see a problem with allowing the ads on Modaco considering I'm a non-subscriber. As far as other websites go though, that's a different kettle of fish altogether! ;)

For fellow Kaspersky Internet Security users who wish to do the same, just add '*modaco*' to your whitelist.

Gadgets:

SonyEricsson Xperia, HP iPaq 614c, MDA Vario II, Moto MPX220

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil

However, even that CAN be removed by ABP by selecting the element and creating a new filter rule.

* FYI - not only did I jump to click that ad the momment I saw it - I downloaded and tried the software. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my SMT5600 BUT the point is that I gave it the go.

NOW, to add maybe a little fuel to this fire here, I'd like to see what people's opinions are on that matter. I mean I not only SAW the ad, but also clicked it, and now - that specific ad will be useless to me so I've decided to block it with ABP. Am I still leeching or have I played my part?

I believe Paul has said he gets paid by the number of people who view the Adds - not on click through, so you are depriving him of money. The choice, of course, is yours but would it hurt you that much to allow the adds on this great site? Just because you CAN block them doesn't mean you have too...
;)

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

blackhorse

blackhorse

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero, HTC Touch HD
Surely the simple solution would be if you hate adds that much and you really want to contribute back into a community that can answer just about any question you can throw at it, (windows mobile or not!) you just sign up for add free or plus??!
It was never a demand, but just a pointer!?

Edited by blackhorse, 29 October 2007 - 08:53 PM.

stuarttaylor

stuarttaylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile G1
Add to whitelist.

Fortunately the ad's on Modaco aren't as intrusive as many other sites that I visit, so I guess I can live with it on here.

Strangely the Yahoo adverts got through my Adblock filters.

T-Mobile G1 < HTC TyTn < iMate SP5m < Sony Ericsson T630 < Sony Ericsson T68i < Nokia 6210 < Nokia 5110 < Philips Diga

Rabbit Rocks

Rabbit Rocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:SPV E200
I use add blocking mainly because having an advert between each post is a pain and makes loading the page also slower also the ads that appear here in holland are not the type of adverts i want on my computer , maybe the uk ads are controlled and are ok but the euro ones are not and are of an adult nature.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
We specify no adult ads, so not sure how that happens RR. Also, there are no ads 'between each post'... you sure you're talking about the right site? :( The only ad for logged in peeps in topic is at the bottom of the page of posts.

P

Posted Image

Rabbit Rocks

Rabbit Rocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:SPV E200
i get it in the Sponsored Links part it shows an adult dating site and for some reason the google ads are gone as well ( the one up the top of the forum )

Edited by Rabbit Rocks, 11 December 2007 - 09:29 PM.

bradavon

bradavon

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
In Adblock Plus I've chosen "Disable on Modaco.com" but the Modaco warnings don't go away, why?

Thanks

Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
Did you ever post how you did this Paul? :D

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,217 posts
No, I'll post something on my blog if people are interested!

P

Posted Image

John The Mad

John The Mad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

nah, you can stick around as far as i'm concerned...

just turns you into a total freeloader thats all!!! :D :angry:

it is a tricky one. after all, the net's raison d'etre is 'free'dom of information isnt it? but when the actual cost (to you) of using a site is ads, does it really cost you? i appreciate it may slow the download of your latest (as yet unreleased in the UK) Hollywood blockbuster or that latest MP3 download from that dodgy russian site but i see your point... why should anyone pay for anything that is usefull.... :D

One more person playing the devils' advocate :
usually, to surf on the web, i use my GPRS connection, or, when not available, the GSM Data Connection. As i live in a country where GSM operators are.... well... depnding on the user, no 'illimited data plan' is available. So i pay for each byte i'm downloading.
So, when using the web on my GSM, i disable picture downloading, and use AdBlocker to save some precious bytes.

Am I a bad user ?

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
It depends on how much you use the site I guess, If you aren't viewing the adds is it worth paying for the Add free version? Or if you are really tight, pay for Modaco Plus and get all those wonderful free benefits :D

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Samsonite

Samsonite

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:gadgets, motorcycles
  • Devices:QtekS100, E650, Touch Dual

One more person playing the devils' advocate :
usually, to surf on the web, i use my GPRS connection, or, when not available, the GSM Data Connection. As i live in a country where GSM operators are.... well... depnding on the user, no 'illimited data plan' is available. So i pay for each byte i'm downloading.
So, when using the web on my GSM, i disable picture downloading, and use AdBlocker to save some precious bytes.

Am I a bad user ?

i see your point and have to concede that it is a good one...

In the instance of a forum, perhaps if you are a willing helper and visit the site on a PC connected with a 'normal' broadband with all the ads glaring at you then you address the karma balance of not seeing them on the phone.

Perhaps if you use the phone as your PC's internet connection then an element of charity is understood and we recognise your genuine 'need' to clip out unwanted data. I'd like to think that would be the prevailing ethos... but only if you help others!!! :D

the problem i will always face is that i dont have any moral highground! i dont pay for Modaco access and in truth dont intend to (sorry Paul). I visit every day (sometimes twice...) and leave the ads on. I like to get involved in any thread i can actively contribute to and will answer questions when I know the solution - to me thats the whole point of a forum.

so its always up to you. Help/dont help, Ads/No Ads, Subscribe/dont subscribe.... if only all of life were this simple! :D

artesea

artesea

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S II
  • Twitter:@artesea
Rather cool idea, have now knocked up some similar code to one of my websites.

SilentBob

SilentBob

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire HD

Fortunately the ad's on Modaco aren't as intrusive as many other sites that I visit, so I guess I can live with it on here.

I have no problem at all with banner ads and the such, and quite often do actually click on them from sites such as yours. However, recently I have been prompted to install AdBlockerPlus at home solely due to the massive increase in the number of Vibrant style ads. I really cannot stand these style of ads, and as such can only consider unblocking sites that do not use this style of ads. They are so intrusive, and it is not what anyone wants.

I do use IE at work, however, in which it is possible to simply block the source of the Vibrant style ads, without affecting the normal banner & pop style ads. I wish it were possible to do the same in Firefox, as I do feel like I may be missing out on useful ads by using ABP. (Any tips on how to do this are very welcome).

Fortunately, most of my use of MoDaCo is whilst at work during the day. B) This is the first time I have noticed the ABP message on this site, despite having had ABP installed at home for about a month.

However, if you were to decide against the Vibrant style ads, a front page notice would be good, such that I (and others) could then add MoDaCo to my ABP white list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users