Any word from t-mob on wm6

Guest stevej26uk

Guest stevej26uk

Loving my vario 2 apart from the dreadful 3g problems we are having in inverness meaning the handset goes a little mad sometimes lol, I was just wondering has anyone heard anything lately from tmob about a wm6 rom upgrade? There are 3 different test versions on xda developers, and the guy in the local tmob shop said he had heard that the vario 2 was to get and upgrade.

Also slighty off topic what is the best speed people have had with 3g my personal best (when the local transmitter plays ball and gives me 3g!!!) is 1.64mb/s

Edit: Have emailed them asking the question about wm6, will post if i get anything back, if anyone else hears anything please post !!

Edited by stevej26uk

Guest mitch1974

I asked the people in the T-Mobile shop near me if there was going to be a new ROM for the Vario II.

They told me the Vario III will be out soon

Then I explained to them that I was asking about a software update for the Vario II.

They told me the Vario III will be out soon and started to tell me how much it would cost for me to upgrade.

I tried again to explain that it wasn't a new phone I was after, that I just wanted to know if there was going to be a software update for handset I've got, and I don't want to change.

And then they told me the Vario III will be out soon and started to tell me how much it would cost for me to upgrade.

At this point I turned around and walked out the shop.

I may as well have been speaking in sign language to a dog.

Guest stevenjames1982

would love to no when its out for the vario 2 as well, as am not to keen on putting it on now incase i fubbar it up and brick my nice shiney new phone  ;)

Guest mitch1974

I installed HardSPL before using one of the T-Mobile test ROMS.

If you check the XDA developers forums it'll give you information regarding HardSPL and then you can decide whether or not you think the risk is worth it.

Guest stevej26uk

Got a reply from t-mob seems to be the standard reply, I think its a disgrace and phoned the local tmob shop in inverness to complain who informed me that within my 28days i could change the phone for a different model, but the only models with wm6 are the touch (which they dont have only the bigger stores) and the vario 3 which they arent expecting until mid october which is past my 28 days, so im stuck with the vario 2 running the original buggy rom, or risking an unofficial rom upgrade which is a lil bit scary cause of warranty issues, so tmob are not in my good books !!!

Hello Steven

Thanks for your email enquiring about able to upgrade your MDA Vario II with windows mobile 6.

I appreciate your concern for keep your handset updated with latest software version.

Unfortunately, windows mobile 6 is only available for all new MDA devices that are launched, starting with the MDA Touch in July and MDA Vario III in September.

Window mobile 6 is not available for upgrade on existing devices and they will have to continue with Windows Mobile 5 for the remainder of their lives.

A free upgrade offer from T-Mobile US on the Dash, which is their version of the MDA , has been widely promoted on the internet. Please be warned if you download the Windows Mobile 6 software from "t-mobile.com" and use it to upgrade your MDA, it could potentially damage your device and invalidate the warranty. That software is not designed for UK devices.

I can understand this may be disappointing, but we are constantly expanding our range of phones. So please visit our website on a regular basis to keep up to date with the new ones we release.

• 4 weeks later...

I used this as a reason for free and early upgrade to vario III. The WM6 upgrade is available for the HTC own brand product on their website, when I confronted T-M I used the argument that this was a computer system and not just a phone and that if they were going to sell it then they were required to support it, and that if the manufactures made upgrades available then they should provide the same software for the version with the T-M rom.

Got the standard anwser that there is no upgrade available and not likley to be.

However contacted the disconnections section and stated that I considered this to be a breach of our contract and that if the upgrades were not made available I would just stop my direct debit and see them in court. My new vario III arrived then next day ok I did have to extend my contract but I was going to anyway as for me nothing else comes close to the flex wnw tarrif anyway.

word of warning, I dont know enough about it to venture an informed opnion but the tech support at HTC said do not try and install their HTC Hermes upgrade to WM6, as it will go fine up to the point it detects the T-M rom and then just stops leaving you with a brick.

I anyone else knows better then sorry but if you do please let me know how.

Plenty of people have flashed the HTC WM6 ROM onto their T-Mo, Orange and other Hermes variants without issue.

If you've never done it before, xda-developers is the place to learn almost all there is to know about the process, set aside a couple of hours, read lots, read all the stickies in the Hermes section, then read them again until you understand it all, and when it makes sense to you and you understand what you are doing then you're ready.

Happy flashing ;)

Guest mitch1974

Nearly every post on XDA Dev recommends installing Hard-SPL before flashing another ROM.

I spent a weekend flashing different ROMS to check them out, and after 4 flashings still no brick.

(that sentence sounds so wrong)

Look, if I can get WM6 on a Faraday and even a Typhoon why the hell do T-mobile say I can't get it on my Hermes?

(my nephew was a bit confused when I gave him his C500 back, but he loves it now)

Because T Mobile want to make sales.

I'm using the t-mobile test rom from xda-developers and its great! seems very stable to me

Edited by jpwjpw

Guest jchamier

I had stopped using my Vario II with WM5, until I read various posts on here and then at XDA, and went for it.

Have not looked back, a massive improvement. Much more stable, and faster, as well as the WPA2 support means I can use the office WiFi at last.

I had stopped using my Vario II with WM5, until I read various posts on here and then at XDA, and went for it.

Have not looked back, a massive improvement. Much more stable, and faster, as well as the WPA2 support means I can use the office WiFi at last.

Two months to upgrade time and then both of mine will be rocking WM6. If only I knew what to go for next? Kaiser just doesn't add enough functionality but what else is there? Nokia N95 8Gb???????? Nokia e51? Anything new on the way for WM? I want a VGA Kaiser!