- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

kclarke22

kclarke22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi nb here, i'm in the US and I like the 8925/tytn II I need a new phone but am not sure if i should buy the locked at&t one or the unlocked tytn II. What are the pros and cons.
Do I need to buy an individual plan to get the sim card , phone # , be able to call others. Do I need to buy a data plan to access the internet, when not in a wifi hotspot. do i need to buy the gps plan to access the gps or can i buy something like tom tom software and access gps without buying att gps service. thanks for your input.

kclarke22

kclarke22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump

zachto_man

zachto_man

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:History, P.G. Wodehouse
  • Devices:HTC Kaiser

Hi nb here, i'm in the US and I like the 8925/tytn II I need a new phone but am not sure if i should buy the locked at&t one or the unlocked tytn II. What are the pros and cons.
Do I need to buy an individual plan to get the sim card , phone # , be able to call others. Do I need to buy a data plan to access the internet, when not in a wifi hotspot. do i need to buy the gps plan to access the gps or can i buy something like tom tom software and access gps without buying att gps service. thanks for your input.

Welcome
Individual plan for SIM card yes unless you want to run on your present providers network. Then you could take the SIM card - if 3G - and put it in the TyTn II.
Data plan yes if you want to surf without a hot spot.
GPS plan no, that'a a freebie but the maps you download like Google maps will come under your data plan. If you go the TomTom or other maps included software route the maps don't have to be downloaded.

There is speculation that ATT will try to force '8925/Tilt' users to use their nav software by messing with the ROM code. That is, so far, speculation but it would make sense from their point of view. An unlocked, while much more expensive, gets you around that.

Cheers.

Edited by zachto_man, 25 September 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Seasons of alarm beget the calamities they dread.

Walter Bagehot 1826 - 1877

Kais130
ROM Version: 1.56.405.5
ROM Date: 08/28/07
Radio Version: 1.27.12.11
Protocol Version: 22.45.88.07H

kclarke22

kclarke22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks

mikeeey

mikeeey

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Devices:Nokia n82 (hacked)

hey. check out this comparison on xda-developers:
http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=333034

i too am waiting for the Tilt, you can basicly turn it into a TyTN II, it will just have the different colored keys and no front camera, that is, if that is the final design.

my signature is too long

Jim_R

Jim_R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:AT&T Tilt

There is speculation that ATT will try to force '8925/Tilt' users to use their nav software by messing with the ROM code. That is, so far, speculation but it would make sense from their point of view. An unlocked, while much more expensive, gets you around that.

Cheers.

The speculation was unfounded. ATT did supply TeleNav fee based software, and does want to users to subscribe, but the GPS on the TILT will work with other GPS Software.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
As I said all along ;)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users