02 Graphite unlocked ?

Guest evolution400

Guest evolution400

As subject says is the 02 Graphite unlokced to any network or can it be modified simply by anyone ?

I currently have a HTC Tornado has anyone upgraded to the 02 from one of these phones is it worth it ?

I think the phone will come locked to O2 unless you buy one off Ebay which has been unlocked. This is what I did, and then I upgraded to WM6. I have also got a SP5 which at the moment I still prefer. Reasons are as follows:

Although the graphite has a much faster processor- it doesnt seem any quicker in normal use. It just gives better benchmark results.

Battery life not as good as SP5, I dont think it will last more than 36 hours, of usual use. SP5 will last 48 hours. (few calls, few sms, some WiFi browsing, not excessive or constant use)

Speaker far too quiet, and its on the back of the phone. So when you get a call, its very hard to hear the ringtone, and if the phone is in a case, or in your pocket, you'll probably miss the call!

There's no IR. Bluetooth is not reliable for transfering files especially to a pc or another phone, but IR could always be used on the SP5.

Internet Explorer on WM6 is sooo slow when browsing large pages, such as the normal Modoco home page (not LoFi). the page will load ok, but as you scroll down either with the joystick or the 2 and 8 keys, the scrolling gets slower and slower, so that by the time you get to the bottom of the page, the scrolling is at a snails pace. This doesnt happen on the SP5. I installed the Opera browser trial which is lightening fast but isnt always as clear as PIE. The pages on Opera dont always resemble how the website looks on the desktop.

The remaining battery life is not as precisely shown as in WM5 (or WM2003). It starts at 100%, the drops in 10's to about 50%, then to 31% (?) , then to 22 %. There is no gradual drop. The SP5 would show the remaing battery much more accurately.

WiFi range isnt as good. Activesync 4.5 has to be installed on your PC and this doesnt seem as good as previous versions of Activesync.

On the plus side, the new operating system looks good, refreshed icons,tones and colour schemes. The screen is bright, much brighter than the sp5, and the joystick feels very firm. The camera is good but the video resolution is very low, which is a shame as the processor is faster. i am still not using the Graphite as my main phone and may just by a Pay As You go 3 sim to try on the 3g.

Guest evolution400
I think the phone will come locked to O2 unless you buy one off Ebay which has been unlocked. This is what I did, and then I upgraded to WM6. I have also got a SP5 which at the moment I still prefer. Reasons are as follows:

Although the graphite has a much faster processor- it doesnt seem any quicker in normal use. It just gives better benchmark results.

Battery life not as good as SP5, I dont think it will last more than 36 hours, of usual use. SP5 will last 48 hours. (few calls, few sms, some WiFi browsing, not excessive or constant use)

Speaker far too quiet, and its on the back of the phone. So when you get a call, its very hard to hear the ringtone, and if the phone is in a case, or in your pocket, you'll probably miss the call!

There's no IR. Bluetooth is not reliable for transfering files especially to a pc or another phone, but IR could always be used on the SP5.

Internet Explorer on WM6 is sooo slow when browsing large pages, such as the normal Modoco home page (not LoFi). the page will load ok, but as you scroll down either with the joystick or the 2 and 8 keys, the scrolling gets slower and slower, so that by the time you get to the bottom of the page, the scrolling is at a snails pace. This doesnt happen on the SP5. I installed the Opera browser trial which is lightening fast but isnt always as clear as PIE. The pages on Opera dont always resemble how the website looks on the desktop.

The remaining battery life is not as precisely shown as in WM5 (or WM2003). It starts at 100%, the drops in 10's to about 50%, then to 31% (?) , then to 22 %. There is no gradual drop. The SP5 would show the remaing battery much more accurately.

WiFi range isnt as good. Activesync 4.5 has to be installed on your PC and this doesnt seem as good as previous versions of Activesync.

On the plus side, the new operating system looks good, refreshed icons,tones and colour schemes. The screen is bright, much brighter than the sp5, and the joystick feels very firm. The camera is good but the video resolution is very low, which is a shame as the processor is faster. i am still not using the Graphite as my main phone and may just by a Pay As You go 3 sim to try on the 3g.

Thanks very much for this informative post I am running WM6 ont he SP5 so really then only the 3g is different so not at all worth it.

I can get one for £110 brand new in the box delivered I was going to use it for 3g as backup for my internet line aswell as a phone but not worth it just as backup hardly ever used etc so your advice is stick with SP5 and the 02 XDA is not worth £110 ?

Guest Markda2000
Thanks very much for this informative post I am running WM6 ont he SP5 so really then only the 3g is different so not at all worth it.

I can get one for £110 brand new in the box delivered I was going to use it for 3g as backup for my internet line aswell as a phone but not worth it just as backup hardly ever used etc so your advice is stick with SP5 and the 02 XDA is not worth £110 ?

I don't believe o2 lock their phones.

I paid the same for my phone. I like the candybar size smartphone, and the SP5 has been excellent. I didnt really want to get the Kaiser- too big really and so I thought the Graphite would be a logical upgrade. I think i might still keep it, as a second phone with maybe this offer from "3". £5 per month internet on PAYG with 2GB limit on 3G. Sounds good.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/price_plan...u_go_/may_1.omp

Dont know if this deal can be used with Skype/messenger/laptop etc.

Anyway, back to the Graphite. Its still 4 times cheaper than the Kaiser, and less than half the price of the HTC Touch for a WM6 phone.

Guest evolution400
I paid the same for my phone. I like the candybar size smartphone, and the SP5 has been excellent. I didnt really want to get the Kaiser- too big really and so I thought the Graphite would be a logical upgrade. I think i might still keep it, as a second phone with maybe this offer from "3". £5 per month internet on PAYG with 2GB limit on 3G. Sounds good.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/price_plan...u_go_/may_1.omp

Dont know if this deal can be used with Skype/messenger/laptop etc.

Anyway, back to the Graphite. Its still 4 times cheaper than the Kaiser, and less than half the price of the HTC Touch for a WM6 phone.

Yes it does sound like a good deal because what I wanted really was a phone that has 3g, can read emails, interent browsing etc I did have a MDA Vario II(HTCTyYN) I found I hardly ever used the keyboard so decided to get an SP5 because of the modificatations you can make i.e Windows Mobile 6 upgrade over at XDA forums which is very nice, modern, reliable etc but then the phone doesnt have the 3g which I wanted to use as backup for my broadband. I was interested in the HTC VOX until I found out that didnt have 3g either so it was between the HTC Meteor and the Graphite I think I will save my moeny and wait thanks for your advice very handy you haveing the same models to compare !

I am very surprised that the 400mhz processor doesnt make it quic8ker than the Sp5 must be a very badly cooked ROM ;)

Its the official ROM from O2! It was the official upgrade as mentioned on this forum. Office WM6 is also genuine Microsoft. Hopefully its not cooked! Does the SP5 suffer from slow Internet Explorer once upgraded to WM6? How resposive is the SP5 once upgraded?

Guest evolution400
Its the official ROM from O2! It was the official upgrade as mentioned on this forum. Office WM6 is also genuine Microsoft. Hopefully its not cooked! Does the SP5 suffer from slow Internet Explorer once upgraded to WM6? How resposive is the SP5 once upgraded?

Sorry I was taking the mick out of 02 because it must be in the way the ROM was made if the phone has a 400mhz cpu it should on paper run much faster I have an overclock utility for the SP5 and when I turn it up to 230 - 240 it is really noticable the speed different in opening apps etc.

Nope it all seems to work pretty fast in fact, there are a few minor bugs but everything actually works media player, internet, gprs, camera, the new internet connection share facilty etc I have been running it now for over 1 month and its pretty stable and much more modern there is an easy guide to upgrade also and you can go back to 5 if you dont like it.

Guest modgnik
As subject says is the 02 Graphite unlokced to any network or can it be modified simply by anyone ?

I currently have a HTC Tornado has anyone upgraded to the 02 from one of these phones is it worth it ?

I upgraded to the O2 Graphite from the SP5. It comes unlocked.

Why oh why couldn't HTC have brought out an upgraded Tornado with 3G/HSDPA? I also tried the MTeoR which has HSDPA and also the i600. I thought the HTC S730 would be the answer but alas at a weight of 150 grams it's not for me.

All the latest stuff is ppc, slider or qwerty. Is the candybar dead?

In any event, can you let me know where I can get the Graphite for £110?

I want two.

Thanks.

CK.

Edited by modgnik