MDA Vario III unboxed (and vs TyTN II)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

The MDA Vario III is here, and is shipping out to customers from T-Mobile direct as we speak!

I completed an upgrade on my account, getting the handset for £80 on FlexT 35 WnW, and it's arrived ;)

I've posted some pics below, feel free to hit me with any questions you have about the device!

First impressions - not as nicely packages as the TyTN II, but looks good in the flesh. Silver back looks nice (not rubberised), keypad feels like it might be more user friendly. Included in box are the usual bits and pieces, including a case an screen protector.

Fun fun fun! :wub:

P

varioiii-1.pngvarioiii-2.png

varioiii-4.pngvarioiii-5.png

varioiii-6.png

Guest captainsensible

Hmmm, interesting. T-Mobile packaging is nowhere near as nice as the HTC box (of course this is important!)...

With regard to the VIII itself, it 'appears' to look slightly bigger than the Tytn II - don't know whether thats just the angle of the pic, or an optical illusion caused by the different coloured case (although black is meant to be slimming!).

I think it looks ever so slightly 'cheap' compared to the Tytn II as well. And honestly, I am not saying this cos I have a Tytn II, it just looks that way to me from those pics - I hope it feels as much of a quality product as the Tytn II does...

Actually looking at the pics again, its the buttons that make it look 'cheap', in my opinion.

Edited by captainsensible

Hmmm, interesting. T-Mobile packaging is nowhere near as nice as the HTC box (of course this is important!)...

With regard to the VIII itself, it 'appears' to look slightly bigger than the Tytn II - don't know whether thats just the angle of the pic, or an optical illusion caused by the different coloured case (although black is meant to be slimming!).

I think it looks ever so slightly 'cheap' compared to the Tytn II as well. And honestly, I am not saying this cos I have a Tytn II, it just looks that way to me from those pics - I hope it feels as much of a quality product as the Tytn II does...

Actually looking at the pics again, its the buttons that make it look 'cheap', in my opinion.

From the pictures the casing around the buttons looks to be the same on both units, how long will it be before replacement buttons are available to those that are brave or foolish enough to open their units. More importantly, how do the buttons compare in use Paul?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I always thought the TyTN II buttons were a bit too easy to press incorrectly, e.g. going for IE and hitting start etc. The VIII doesn't seem to have this issue...

P

Guest GordonTGopher
Included in box are the usual bits and pieces, including a case an screen protector.

Does "usual bits and pieces" include the TomTom taster that comes with the HTC one?

Cheers,

Gordon

Guest chrisash32
No TomTom taster that I can see. Yes, the design of the Vario II was better IMHO.

P

Have you got any pics of the Vario III in use? thinking of getting one, just wanted to see what it was like and if it is any better to use than the Vario II.

Hmmm.

How many months before the end of my contract do I need to be before I can get a new 18 month contract?

I ask as I'm due to "expire" in Feb, and wondered when I could build my hopes up!

Hmmm.

How many months before the end of my contract do I need to be before I can get a new 18 month contract?

I ask as I'm due to "expire" in Feb, and wondered when I could build my hopes up!

Mine is due to expire on Feb too, but I am eligible to upgrade a month before that, so January - as I was advised by CS once.

Hmmm.

I have 2 weeks to go and they won't budge.

Any word as to if the US will be getting this? It's either that or switch to a network I absolutely hate. Although if T-mo in the US ever rolls out their 3g it's going to be on the 1700 band. Arhg. . . I'm moving to europe. . .lol

Guest xorangefirex
Any word as to if the US will be getting this? It's either that or switch to a network I absolutely hate. Although if T-mo in the US ever rolls out their 3g it's going to be on the 1700 band. Arhg. . . I'm moving to europe. . .lol

We on the "other side of the pond" (USA for the slightly slow...) will be getting it on AT&T as the AT&T Tilt. Unfortunatly, the release date has been continuously pushed back for the past month as the first "leak-date" was supposed to be the 3rd of September. I am still more than happy with my HTC branded version as from what I understand it wont have the HTC Home that makes the device such a beautiful piece of eye-candy.

We on the "other side of the pond" (USA for the slightly slow...) will be getting it on AT&T as the AT&T Tilt. Unfortunatly, the release date has been continuously pushed back for the past month as the first "leak-date" was supposed to be the 3rd of September. I am still more than happy with my HTC branded version as from what I understand it wont have the HTC Home that makes the device such a beautiful piece of eye-candy.

True. . . lol. I'm on Tmobile so getting a TYTN 2 could be a huge waste for me. Although after using the DASH for the last few months and owning a JAM prior I wanted something with the ability of both. POOP, maybe I'll just give in and buy the TYTN 2 or wait for the I-mate ultimates. . . what to do. . .lol.

The MDA Vario III is here, and is shipping out to customers from T-Mobile direct as we speak!

I completed an upgrade on my account, getting the handset for £80 on FlexT 35 WnW, and it's arrived :)

I've posted some pics below, feel free to hit me with any questions you have about the device!

Paul, can you tell me what is Radio ROM version in VIII, compared to TII, and can you tell any differences in terms of radio part of the device (settings, voice quality, downloading speeds etc.)? Thanks for that.

Anybody know when the phone will be available on t-mobile.co.uk? Waiting to order it online so I can get cash back via quidco.com

Heard it will be on Monday with possible of different prices... according to the guy at T-Mobile!

Guest Markda2000
Heard it will be on Monday with possible of different prices... according to the guy at T-Mobile!

just ordered mine through tmob direct sales. stock levels showed 243 in stock when i rang in.

my deal was flext 35 +plus webnwalk on a 18m contract with line rental reduced to £30. phone was 69.99

and i get free weekend calls also.

arrives tuesday before 1pm ;)

Guest hunyango_uk
just ordered mine through tmob direct sales. stock levels showed 243 in stock when i rang in.

my deal was flext 35 +plus webnwalk on a 18m contract with line rental reduced to £30. phone was 69.99

and i get free weekend calls also.

arrives tuesday before 1pm :wub:

'ave you got any link mate? cheers ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.