MDA Vario III unboxed (and vs TyTN II)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest xtreme__boi
Anybody is agree with me that vario 2 looks sexy ? this one is rather looks dull imo .

Personally I think the Vario III is much more sexy looking than the Vario II. My partner got the Vario I on a new T-mob contract. I liked the Vario I so much I nearly took a contract out. I did look intt he Vario II, but was not keen on the orange background on the keyboard. But after a little research, I found out the Vario III would be released early Oct.

So I sent an email to T-mob, asking for a possible release date. They sent a reply a day later, saying it was available NOW. So ordered in on Friday, and am waiting delivery TODAY - with a bit of luck!

Guest Metafunk

When I ordered mine I was told Maps will be pre-installed on the phone. But I can't find them anywhere.

The operator I was talking to said that the only additional bit you get with co-pilot is that you can hear the directions. With just the Maps installed you can still get directions but no audio.

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

M,

Guest nuttyphilt
When I ordered mine I was told Maps will be pre-installed on the phone. But I can't find them anywhere.

The operator I was talking to said that the only additional bit you get with co-pilot is that you can hear the directions. With just the Maps installed you can still get directions but no audio.

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

M,

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Co-pilot is a full GPS navigation package and they don't sell a 'cut-down' version that doesn't talk to you. ;)

You can download Google Maps for Windows Mobile which is much like the desktop version and does simple routing and supports GPS. Or Yahoo Go or Windows Live which also have some mapping functionality.

Guest Mr.Clark

So... how does the Vario III compare with the TyTN II? Should we go for T-Mobile now, or hang on a bit longer and see if Orange's version is "better"?

How much should we be looking at for a non-upgrade?

Guest Metafunk
Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Co-pilot is a full GPS navigation package and they don't sell a 'cut-down' version that doesn't talk to you. ;)

You can download Google Maps for Windows Mobile which is much like the desktop version and does simple routing and supports GPS. Or Yahoo Go or Windows Live which also have some mapping functionality.

I was thinking of Google Maps. Do you need to access the web for this or you can get routing etc without any web access.

M,

Guest nuttyphilt
I was thinking of Google Maps. Do you need to access the web for this or you can get routing etc without any web access.

M,

No, you need internet access for all of the ones I mentioned because they download maps from a central server as required.

Paul - A long shot, but do you have any idea (or any way of testing) whether this new Vario variant is compatabile with bluetooth in a BMW.............??

Guest Blakey

M,

Does this mean that Google Maps will basically do what TomTom does for you but is free? Assuming you have WnW anyway and as such get "free" data access? Okay, so Google Maps doesn't give you voice commands but will do routing. Will Google Maps update the route as you drive?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

It didnt the last time i tried it. It will let you know where you are on the map, and show the route as an overlay, but wont actively follow you and reroute as appropriate while you drive...

Guest zoidster

I am just looking at T-mobiles site now , the Vario III they have pictured is more like the Tytn II than the Vario III pictured at the beginning at of this thread

Good for most by the looks of it , but I was quite taken with the "flat" looking keypad on the other version personally

Guest zoidster
They have the wrong picture online :wub:

P

Seems you're right ! on closer inspection their is no T-mobile branding on the pic , & I know T-mobile wouldn't dream of letting a hanset leave them without a certain amount of Pink on it :D

Ordered mine anyway , Spoke to a T-mobile rep who assured me that the postal strikes would not affect delivery as they were using an interim carrier during the action , which was a particular concern , as I know what happens to parcels that get to lay around in depots for a few days ;)

Guest Mr.Clark

So, usability-wise (speed etc), how does this compare to the TyTN II?

I'm tempted, especially by the HSDPA and Web'N'Walk, but is the handset itself as good? Is the firmware crippled in any way?

Looks are not so important, but performance is...

Guest Phil Lee

There is almost no TMobile customisation in the ROM. The icons in the Comm Manager and Programs have been customised and there is a Today plugin called T-Mobile@Home (which appears to do absolutely nothing). It is also missing Windows Live Messenger. Apart from that there is no change from the standard ROM that I can see.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest borismaur

Hello,

I recently purchased the T mobile Vario 3 and I noticed on my list of programs one programm called 'TouchFlo'. Does anyone know how to enable or use this feature?? Ive heard something (via google/forums) about a cube where you can rotate the screen with the touch of your finger.... would be real cool to have this feature on my device! Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest losimagic

Sorry if this an obvious question but is the interface almost identical to the tytn II on the Vario? I saw a long video review of the tytn and loved the screen that allowed you to access the weather (amongst other things) quickly - is this also on T-Mobiles vario III?

Thanks ;)

(incidentally, I ordered one from t-mobile this morning - can't wait to get it :( )

Guest losimagic

Thank you! Just been looking down your must-have apps thread - there really are some fantastic applications available for these things now - so much better than when I first used a Windows Mobile device

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.