HTC Touch - Excellent Device

Guest gazeem

Guest gazeem

Hi,

I have had my touch for about a week now and I must say I am very satisfied.

This is my third PDA phone - having had a I-mate Jam and an Orange SPV previously.

The touch to start off with is a good looking device and a lot more slender than my previous phones. The basic today screen is very welcoming and the ability to customise easy launch programs from this screen is an excellent addition. The device flows better than any of the previous as well.

The touch flo bit is perhaps a little gimmicky the phone contacts and the new music player are probably the most useful part of it. The addition of an easy one touch flight mode icon is also excellent (especially for frequent flyers like me!)

So if you've had a PDA phone and have been looking at envy at your friends with snazzy standalone mobiles, the touch could be just what you are looking for!

A happy

Gaz

Bought one today for my GF after playing with one in an Orange store, and am now waiting delivery......Damn postal strike ;)

Anyway this little thing is awesome, very sexy form factor with the heart of WM6, you can't go wrong!

First thing to get installed on it will be Phone pad though :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

The more I use the Touch the more I wonder if this approach to WM has more future than the current thinking

I love my Kaiser, but come on, cramming a device with more power, gadgets etc is hardly innovative thinking is it...

Now the Touch, WOW, uber sexy, and such a crowd pleaser everyone who sees it wants one, surely this is the way to get WM to the masses

Oh and ditto with the new keyboards ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Imagine the touch with Kaiser power! So nearly what the dual could have been if they'd not dropped GPS / WiFi... then I would have been VERY tempted!

P

Guest colonel_butt
So is the Touch a girls phone or not?

:(

P

I must be a big girl then ;)

But seriously, style sells phones. Most people just want to make calls and the occasional text in a package that looks cool and is small.

If they get other things on a plate, all well and good, but they won't pay extra.

The touch is the first PDA phone I have shown to friends and colleagues where instead of the normal HTC PDA reaction:

1. Wow, that thing is so cool and hi tec. But no I don't want one, my nokia 6300/samsung d900/u600/motorola k1 is all I really need!

I get:

2. How much does that cost and where did you get it. Can you put pictures on it and listen to music ? wow! and you can do MSN and surf the internet. hmmmm. Who are HTC again !

LOL ........

Edited by colonel_butt

Guest colonel_butt
Not sure about the Purple 'Ted Baker Needle' version personally... ;)

P

And I thought you were joking.

The nav.pad on the original looks cooler !

Guest Paul (MVP)

Indeed!

I thought Ted Baker was primarily male fashion, so the purple was an interesting colour choice. I mean, i'm perfectly in touch with my feminine side, but, well... ;)

P

Guest chucky.egg

So, the stories I've read about the Touch being slow and having memory issues are not universally true?

I keep thinking about getting one, but the performance issue worried me.

Guest Subliminal Aura
So, the stories I've read about the Touch being slow and having memory issues are not universally true?

I keep thinking about getting one, but the performance issue worried me.

Well it all comes down to how you manage your phone. If you close applications cleanly after use then you'll be ok but most people dont and hence where the problems arise.

I *really* love this phone it was my first choice over the kaiser pity about the lack of memory and under nourished CPU so I started looking at the touch DUAL but alas no Wifi on the dual :|

@ gazeem

No, its HTC's copyrighted software, there have been copies of it laying around the net in the past, and if you were to stumble upon a copy and decide to use it that's your decision ;)

@ chucky egg

It zips along quite nicely, the Touch runs much better than the Wizard (same spec for those that don't know) No doubt in part due to WM6 doing a better job than 5. HTC's X Button makes it easy to close apps properly and stop them hogging those precious resources!

Go on get one, You'll love it!!!!!

Some interesting (and mixed) views about this device!

I've currently got a JAMin, and it looks like the Touch is pretty much the same but much smaller and with the touch interface. Owning a JAMin, I've got used to not having a keyboard so don't think it'll be a problem.

anyway, just wanted to ask those of you who have one - in your opinion is it worth someone with a JAMin shelling out the cash to get a phone that has pretty much the same features but just looks cooler / is smaller?? I've moved out to the US so can't find anywhere to have a play with one before I take the plunge, so any advice would be greatly appreciated ;) .

Edited by adamw

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chucky.egg
Go on get one, You'll love it!!!!!

I did, and I do!

Seriously considering the PagePool hack/tweak to address the lack of free RAM (hasn't been an issue yet, but I want to run SatNav on it too). That'll wait until I've got the sw installed as it might not be needed.

Yeah me too, I run TomTom 6 without issue, but it does run low on resources now and again

The Touch is definitely best kept running light ;)

Oh and if you haven't already done so (and I know I keep mentioning it in other threads but it's worth repeating) get Touch Settings

Ok, my brain has finally melted thinking about this problem, so I need more opinion and this is the best place for it.

I currently have the Vario II and have been really like the hardware keyboard. I'm approaching my upgrade period and now I'm proper stuck on a desicion on whether to go for a Vario III (because of the Keyboard and the inbuilt GPS is nice, but I already have a BT one), or to go for the Touch (or possibly wait a bit longer and see if TMob get the Touch Dual). I'm attracted to the Touch because of the form factor and the TouchFlo, not too bothered about losing WiFi as I only really use it when on holiday (but not a lot, generally get my weather updates via the local GPRS, cost is minimal).

I think the only sticking point for me is how good the on screen keyboard is on the Touch, if it's good enough I'd be happy to sacrifice the hardware keyboard.

Any opinions greatly recieved ;)

P.S. Also if I went the Touch route, which one, Touch or Dual, I know the Dual has a slightly smaller screen.

Ok, my brain has finally melted thinking about this problem, so I need more opinion and this is the best place for it.

I currently have the Vario II and have been really like the hardware keyboard. I'm approaching my upgrade period and now I'm proper stuck on a desicion on whether to go for a Vario III (because of the Keyboard and the inbuilt GPS is nice, but I already have a BT one), or to go for the Touch (or possibly wait a bit longer and see if TMob get the Touch Dual). I'm attracted to the Touch because of the form factor and the TouchFlo, not too bothered about losing WiFi as I only really use it when on holiday (but not a lot, generally get my weather updates via the local GPRS, cost is minimal).

I think the only sticking point for me is how good the on screen keyboard is on the Touch, if it's good enough I'd be happy to sacrifice the hardware keyboard.

Any opinions greatly recieved ;)

P.S. Also if I went the Touch route, which one, Touch or Dual, I know the Dual has a slightly smaller screen.

Similar boat really. My Vario II does absolutely everything I need but since it is upgrade time I better upgrade. I am planning to flash the Vario II to WM6 when I do, so not sure effectively just adding GPS is a good enough reason to get a Kaiser. So unless HTC have something special up their Christmas sleeve my options are Kaiser, Touch, Nokia E51 or Nokia N82. Well, I actually get to choose two of the four but I would ideally like all of them............

Guest chucky.egg

It's tricky, isn't it?

The Touch form factor is great, it reminds me of the Prophet (which was compact compared to the other devices around when it came out). It's very comfortable to hold, and fairly easy to use one-handed IMO.

I too was worried about the lack of keyboard, but I find that with the Touch (perhaps because of it's small size) I can use the on-screen keyboard with the edge of my thumb with relative ease. I do get the wrong letter sometimes, but no more than I did with the Vox or the Blackjack on their hardware keyboards.

TouchFlo. I'm not sure where different bits start and end, partly because I've come back to PocketPC (Professional) from Smartphone (Standard). Using your thumb to scroll web pages and Contacts, for example, is nice and I use that all the time. To save RAM I've removed the Cube stuff from the Startup, although it does still start if you do the upward stroke with your thumb. The cube is just a gimmick really IMO - I have all the useful features in the HTC Today plugin (I never listen to music, and I dial from the Contacts list)

Personally I went for the Touch, as I preferred the dimensions to the Dual, but with hindsight I would certainly consider the Ted Baker Needle (which is a Touch, but with twice the RAM and ROM).