• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg

Go on get one, You'll love it!!!!!

I did, and I do!
Seriously considering the PagePool hack/tweak to address the lack of free RAM (hasn't been an issue yet, but I want to run SatNav on it too). That'll wait until I've got the sw installed as it might not be needed.

mandt

mandt

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Devices:Diamond, Kaiser
Yeah me too, I run TomTom 6 without issue, but it does run low on resources now and again

The Touch is definitely best kept running light ;)

Oh and if you haven't already done so (and I know I keep mentioning it in other threads but it's worth repeating) get Touch Settings

Rob.P

Rob.P

No.1 the larch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Media, Technology
  • Devices:Galaxy Note II
  • Twitter:@Patchworkcow
Ok, my brain has finally melted thinking about this problem, so I need more opinion and this is the best place for it.

I currently have the Vario II and have been really like the hardware keyboard. I'm approaching my upgrade period and now I'm proper stuck on a desicion on whether to go for a Vario III (because of the Keyboard and the inbuilt GPS is nice, but I already have a BT one), or to go for the Touch (or possibly wait a bit longer and see if TMob get the Touch Dual). I'm attracted to the Touch because of the form factor and the TouchFlo, not too bothered about losing WiFi as I only really use it when on holiday (but not a lot, generally get my weather updates via the local GPRS, cost is minimal).

I think the only sticking point for me is how good the on screen keyboard is on the Touch, if it's good enough I'd be happy to sacrifice the hardware keyboard.

Any opinions greatly recieved ;)

P.S. Also if I went the Touch route, which one, Touch or Dual, I know the Dual has a slightly smaller screen.

Interesting Times

(SPV>E200>C500>Qtek9100>Vario2>Touch Dual>Touch Pro2>Desire HD)

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Ok, my brain has finally melted thinking about this problem, so I need more opinion and this is the best place for it.

I currently have the Vario II and have been really like the hardware keyboard. I'm approaching my upgrade period and now I'm proper stuck on a desicion on whether to go for a Vario III (because of the Keyboard and the inbuilt GPS is nice, but I already have a BT one), or to go for the Touch (or possibly wait a bit longer and see if TMob get the Touch Dual). I'm attracted to the Touch because of the form factor and the TouchFlo, not too bothered about losing WiFi as I only really use it when on holiday (but not a lot, generally get my weather updates via the local GPRS, cost is minimal).

I think the only sticking point for me is how good the on screen keyboard is on the Touch, if it's good enough I'd be happy to sacrifice the hardware keyboard.

Any opinions greatly recieved ;)

P.S. Also if I went the Touch route, which one, Touch or Dual, I know the Dual has a slightly smaller screen.

Similar boat really. My Vario II does absolutely everything I need but since it is upgrade time I better upgrade. I am planning to flash the Vario II to WM6 when I do, so not sure effectively just adding GPS is a good enough reason to get a Kaiser. So unless HTC have something special up their Christmas sleeve my options are Kaiser, Touch, Nokia E51 or Nokia N82. Well, I actually get to choose two of the four but I would ideally like all of them............

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
It's tricky, isn't it?

The Touch form factor is great, it reminds me of the Prophet (which was compact compared to the other devices around when it came out). It's very comfortable to hold, and fairly easy to use one-handed IMO.

I too was worried about the lack of keyboard, but I find that with the Touch (perhaps because of it's small size) I can use the on-screen keyboard with the edge of my thumb with relative ease. I do get the wrong letter sometimes, but no more than I did with the Vox or the Blackjack on their hardware keyboards.

TouchFlo. I'm not sure where different bits start and end, partly because I've come back to PocketPC (Professional) from Smartphone (Standard). Using your thumb to scroll web pages and Contacts, for example, is nice and I use that all the time. To save RAM I've removed the Cube stuff from the Startup, although it does still start if you do the upward stroke with your thumb. The cube is just a gimmick really IMO - I have all the useful features in the HTC Today plugin (I never listen to music, and I dial from the Contacts list)

Personally I went for the Touch, as I preferred the dimensions to the Dual, but with hindsight I would certainly consider the Ted Baker Needle (which is a Touch, but with twice the RAM and ROM).

gavboy

gavboy

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I've decided to go for the Glofiish x800. Bit of a risk as I don't really know what Eten phones are like, but although it is bigger than the touch, it's not too big, and it comes with GPS, wireless and an FM radio. It should arrive on Monday.

Rob.P

Rob.P

No.1 the larch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
Thanks guys, I think I'm getting there with this decision now.

I'm slightly leaning more toward the Touch, like you said chucky, the needle is a definite temptation with enhancements. Just a shame that's only available on Orange, not prepared to leave TMob just yet. You've put my mind at rest about the text input, I still make typos even with a hardware keyboard but I am getting more into the preemptive text on the devices, especially after it has learnt a few of my phrases and choices of sentences.

Think I'll go for the Touch over the Dual as well, don't think I'm prepared to sacrifice that little extra screen real estate you lose on the Dual.

I've got a house move to do yet, so probably best to put it off until after that, least I can wait and see what HTC might have up their sleeve for xmas.

@Doc, I just upgraded my Vario II from WM6 Black ROM to Schaps' V4 Rom, unleashed a whole new life on the device, so definitely recommend the move to WM6.

@gavboy, shows you how blinkered I am, not even considered getting a device for my main phone from someone else other HTC (been using their devices since 2002).

And again, thanks for the comments.

Edited by Rob.P, 16 November 2007 - 11:36 AM.

Interesting Times

gavboy

gavboy

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

@gavboy, shows you how blinkered I am, not even considered getting a device for my main phone from someone else other HTC (been using their devices since 2002).

Rob - I know what you mean. It's a bit of a risk. I've checked with expansys that I've got 21 days to send it back if I don't like it.

Rob.P

Rob.P

No.1 the larch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
Just had a result, my brother-in-law works for a phone distribution company, he's gonna give me a shout when they get stock of the Dual and bring that and the Touch home for an evening for me to play/test.

He said he can get them for cost price plus VAT, so I think the Gods might have been smiling on me yesterday (and I was dreding the family meal lastnight, glad I went now:) )

Interesting Times

petec500

petec500

Geek (according to wife!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch std
I've been holding out on replying to this thread until i'd lived with the Touch for a few weeks. Now that i have, i feel qualified to give an overall impression.

I love this device! It's everything that i've ever wanted from a mobile device (in no particular order):

- It's small (just right for a shirt pocket without knowing it's there)
- the screen is excellent and a very usable size
- battery life is great, even though i'm playing with it all the time
- processor speed hasn't been a concern at all, though i did once run out of memory (too many app's running at once)
- the wifi works a treat - easy to turn on/off and connects to anything so easily
- i find it very easy to navigate around (never once looked at the manual for anything!)
- everything works right out of the box (unlike the SMS/MMS/GPRS settings nightmare i had with my previous Qtek8310)
- there's loads of really good freeware out there - and it all works too!
- even my concerns about it not having a keyboard were dashed when i started to download the different on-screen keyboards (the Touch 20-key Keyboard from HTC is currently my fav - i can type faster on this than my Blackberry!)
- I hardly ever have to dig out the stylus
- I just find it incredibly versatile, especially with services such as Goggle Maps, Windows Live, Yahoo Go
- It hooks up to my GPS receiver easily

I think the only downer i have at the moment is the data charges from Orange, but i heard on here somewhere that even this is going to be addressed by Orange soon!

I just cant see how the Touch can be topped for size vs. performance.

spvc500

spvc500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

I've been holding out on replying to this thread until i'd lived with the Touch for a few weeks. Now that i have, i feel qualified to give an overall impression.

I love this device! It's everything that i've ever wanted from a mobile device (in no particular order):

- It's small (just right for a shirt pocket without knowing it's there)
- the screen is excellent and a very usable size
- battery life is great, even though i'm playing with it all the time
- processor speed hasn't been a concern at all, though i did once run out of memory (too many app's running at once)
- the wifi works a treat - easy to turn on/off and connects to anything so easily
- i find it very easy to navigate around (never once looked at the manual for anything!)
- everything works right out of the box (unlike the SMS/MMS/GPRS settings nightmare i had with my previous Qtek8310)
- there's loads of really good freeware out there - and it all works too!
- even my concerns about it not having a keyboard were dashed when i started to download the different on-screen keyboards (the Touch 20-key Keyboard from HTC is currently my fav - i can type faster on this than my Blackberry!)
- I hardly ever have to dig out the stylus
- I just find it incredibly versatile, especially with services such as Goggle Maps, Windows Live, Yahoo Go
- It hooks up to my GPS receiver easily

I think the only downer i have at the moment is the data charges from Orange, but i heard on here somewhere that even this is going to be addressed by Orange soon!

I just cant see how the Touch can be topped for size vs. performance.

spvc500

spvc500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
where did you download the HTC keyboard from. I can't find it on the HTC website

ror100

ror100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:SPV M600
What is the average battery life people are getting on the touch? I got the dual on Friday and a full battery isn't going to last 2 days! Thats not even having sent many texts or made many calls, its been in my locker at work for 8 hours today and its dropped from 90% to 55%, needless to say if it doesn't improve by thursday I'll be returning it under the 7 day cooling off period.

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
That'll be 3G for you

On the Touch (not Dual) I get through about 25% per day for "basic usage" (few emails, few calls, few sms) and up to 50% with a bit of BT GPS, SatNav, busy emails etc. I've never got through more than 50% through "regular use" (only through using WiFi for ages etc)

If you don't need 3G you can probably turn it off somewhere and you should get similar battery life

mandt

mandt

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Devices:Diamond, Kaiser
Seconded, turn the 3G off when you're not using it.

there are some Comm managers around with 3G disconnect buttons on them that may be compatible with the Dual, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes to your battery life

petec500

petec500

Geek (according to wife!)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch std

where did you download the HTC keyboard from. I can't find it on the HTC website

Took me a while to remember as i've tried so many, but i'm pretty sure it was from this page:

Link

"HTC Keyboard and Keypad"

spvc500

spvc500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Took me a while to remember as i've tried so many, but i'm pretty sure it was from this page:

Link

"HTC Keyboard and Keypad"

Found the file thanks to your link. Downloaded no trouble. Works really well - sweet! :(

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
Found it at last
Quick link to the download post (not the whole thread, see above for that)
http://forum.xda-dev...p;postcount=132

[edit]
This hasn't worked on my Touch
I can see the new SIPs in the list, but can't select either of them (it just ignores me and sticks with the Keyboard)
[/edit]

Edited by chucky.egg, 11 December 2007 - 09:05 PM.

funkychicken9000

funkychicken9000

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Devices:T Mobile Vario III
is this the touch dual-style black phonepad etc? will it work on a normal touch?

Posted Image

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
Yes, I think so, but it hasn't worked on my Touch

0 user(s) are reading this topic