HTC Touch - Excellent Device

Guest gazeem

I've decided to go for the Glofiish x800. Bit of a risk as I don't really know what Eten phones are like, but although it is bigger than the touch, it's not too big, and it comes with GPS, wireless and an FM radio. It should arrive on Monday.

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting there with this decision now.

I'm slightly leaning more toward the Touch, like you said chucky, the needle is a definite temptation with enhancements. Just a shame that's only available on Orange, not prepared to leave TMob just yet. You've put my mind at rest about the text input, I still make typos even with a hardware keyboard but I am getting more into the preemptive text on the devices, especially after it has learnt a few of my phrases and choices of sentences.

Think I'll go for the Touch over the Dual as well, don't think I'm prepared to sacrifice that little extra screen real estate you lose on the Dual.

I've got a house move to do yet, so probably best to put it off until after that, least I can wait and see what HTC might have up their sleeve for xmas.

@Doc, I just upgraded my Vario II from WM6 Black ROM to Schaps' V4 Rom, unleashed a whole new life on the device, so definitely recommend the move to WM6.

@gavboy, shows you how blinkered I am, not even considered getting a device for my main phone from someone else other HTC (been using their devices since 2002).

And again, thanks for the comments.

Edited by Rob.P

@gavboy, shows you how blinkered I am, not even considered getting a device for my main phone from someone else other HTC (been using their devices since 2002).

Rob - I know what you mean. It's a bit of a risk. I've checked with expansys that I've got 21 days to send it back if I don't like it.

Just had a result, my brother-in-law works for a phone distribution company, he's gonna give me a shout when they get stock of the Dual and bring that and the Touch home for an evening for me to play/test.

He said he can get them for cost price plus VAT, so I think the Gods might have been smiling on me yesterday (and I was dreding the family meal lastnight, glad I went now:) )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest petec500

I've been holding out on replying to this thread until i'd lived with the Touch for a few weeks. Now that i have, i feel qualified to give an overall impression.

I love this device! It's everything that i've ever wanted from a mobile device (in no particular order):

- It's small (just right for a shirt pocket without knowing it's there)

- the screen is excellent and a very usable size

- battery life is great, even though i'm playing with it all the time

- processor speed hasn't been a concern at all, though i did once run out of memory (too many app's running at once)

- the wifi works a treat - easy to turn on/off and connects to anything so easily

- i find it very easy to navigate around (never once looked at the manual for anything!)

- everything works right out of the box (unlike the SMS/MMS/GPRS settings nightmare i had with my previous Qtek8310)

- there's loads of really good freeware out there - and it all works too!

- even my concerns about it not having a keyboard were dashed when i started to download the different on-screen keyboards (the Touch 20-key Keyboard from HTC is currently my fav - i can type faster on this than my Blackberry!)

- I hardly ever have to dig out the stylus

- I just find it incredibly versatile, especially with services such as Goggle Maps, Windows Live, Yahoo Go

- It hooks up to my GPS receiver easily

I think the only downer i have at the moment is the data charges from Orange, but i heard on here somewhere that even this is going to be addressed by Orange soon!

I just cant see how the Touch can be topped for size vs. performance.

Guest spvc500
I've been holding out on replying to this thread until i'd lived with the Touch for a few weeks. Now that i have, i feel qualified to give an overall impression.

I love this device! It's everything that i've ever wanted from a mobile device (in no particular order):

- It's small (just right for a shirt pocket without knowing it's there)

- the screen is excellent and a very usable size

- battery life is great, even though i'm playing with it all the time

- processor speed hasn't been a concern at all, though i did once run out of memory (too many app's running at once)

- the wifi works a treat - easy to turn on/off and connects to anything so easily

- i find it very easy to navigate around (never once looked at the manual for anything!)

- everything works right out of the box (unlike the SMS/MMS/GPRS settings nightmare i had with my previous Qtek8310)

- there's loads of really good freeware out there - and it all works too!

- even my concerns about it not having a keyboard were dashed when i started to download the different on-screen keyboards (the Touch 20-key Keyboard from HTC is currently my fav - i can type faster on this than my Blackberry!)

- I hardly ever have to dig out the stylus

- I just find it incredibly versatile, especially with services such as Goggle Maps, Windows Live, Yahoo Go

- It hooks up to my GPS receiver easily

I think the only downer i have at the moment is the data charges from Orange, but i heard on here somewhere that even this is going to be addressed by Orange soon!

I just cant see how the Touch can be topped for size vs. performance.

What is the average battery life people are getting on the touch? I got the dual on Friday and a full battery isn't going to last 2 days! Thats not even having sent many texts or made many calls, its been in my locker at work for 8 hours today and its dropped from 90% to 55%, needless to say if it doesn't improve by thursday I'll be returning it under the 7 day cooling off period.

Guest chucky.egg

That'll be 3G for you

On the Touch (not Dual) I get through about 25% per day for "basic usage" (few emails, few calls, few sms) and up to 50% with a bit of BT GPS, SatNav, busy emails etc. I've never got through more than 50% through "regular use" (only through using WiFi for ages etc)

If you don't need 3G you can probably turn it off somewhere and you should get similar battery life

Seconded, turn the 3G off when you're not using it.

there are some Comm managers around with 3G disconnect buttons on them that may be compatible with the Dual, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes to your battery life

Guest petec500
where did you download the HTC keyboard from. I can't find it on the HTC website

Took me a while to remember as i've tried so many, but i'm pretty sure it was from this page:

Link

"HTC Keyboard and Keypad"

Guest spvc500
Took me a while to remember as i've tried so many, but i'm pretty sure it was from this page:

Link

"HTC Keyboard and Keypad"

Found the file thanks to your link. Downloaded no trouble. Works really well - sweet! :(

Guest chucky.egg

Found it at last

Quick link to the download post (not the whole thread, see above for that)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=132

[edit]

This hasn't worked on my Touch

I can see the new SIPs in the list, but can't select either of them (it just ignores me and sticks with the Keyboard)

[/edit]

Edited by chucky.egg

• 1 month later...
Guest spookydownunder

Thanks for all the posts, am considering the touch. How do I know if it's the advanced version or not? I was thinking of getting one off of ebay?

• 1 month later...
Guest spookydownunder

I got a touch enhanced. Still just playing with it so far. BUt can anyone help point me in the right direction for the following:-

1. There was a thread about a red box, to go around T9 to help recognise when it was in ABC mode.

2. Thread about program to stopyour ear setting off things when on call etc.

3. Is there any way to stop phone going to Sleep, so I don't have to keep pressing power button? Does it really effect the battery life that much?

4. I have just noticedd that for viewing pictures, the touch is not as advanced as the Dual, ie dual allows moving between pictures using touch flo etc, and turning pictures around etc, while Touch is just the standard HTC viewer from way bac? Is there a way to get the newer versionas it seemed pretty cool.

5. Same may go for internet. Does this touch not have the same system as Dual for panning, zooming etc?

6. Phone came from Hong Kong, and does't like Vodafone UK, keeps telling me that it's not supported and i need an update from the vendor. Anyone got this?

Cheers Guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PeacefulWarrior

Lovely interface, lovely screen, thin. At first i missed a real keyboard, or phonekeys like on the Tornado, but with HTC software keypad and keyboard its okej. I find it a little faster than my old Tornado. Not good batterytime.

Edited by PeacefulWarrior