Straputsky

Straputsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
@ Alex
Thank you very much!

@xorangefirex
Why do you claim it has no touch screen? Is that the truth? I thought a device which uses Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional must have a touch screen because this version of windows mobile is especially designed for touch screen devices.
Compared to Kaiser it has a smaller sized Display and no Querty, but offers a higher speed CPU, FM (maybe with TMC support) and a better GPS, a normal 2,5" port for Headphones (and not a special HTC ExtUSB) and a thinner size. I personally like the formfactor too, because its easier to use it as a phone.
But you are right, I wouldn't say it's a Kaiser killer too, because the devices are too different. I compare this device with the IPAQ 614c and hope there will be a review soon. ;)

Edited by Straputsky, 08 October 2007 - 09:51 PM.

rand

rand

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:IT, Golf,Gym,Reading+drinking

I think that in most minds this will be a far, far cry from a "Kaiser Killer". Between the lack of a keyboard and no touch screen the phone becomes effectively worthless to a great majority of WM users. On top of that the key pad seems reminiscent of the Nokia N73, my last phone, (which had the the most difficult keypad to do anything on, which is especially sad since I have very thin fingers). At best its features tie that of the kaiser (that is if they upgrade the RAM), and that isn't even really true due to the lack of a qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen, which I mentioned before. Coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that this will be a world ready (quad-band and tri-band) phone, I think this has no chance of outselling the kaiser unless its significantly cheaper, which by your estimates seems as though it isn't going to happen.

/cry i have just bought the Kaiser and have to say i am very impressed ;) well i cannot wait to see the final review and if it is anything like my old Asus PDA then i am sold as this never let me down and i loved the full power option rather than the auto some machines have :wub:.

I am going to keep my eye on expansys and it looks like i might have a Kaiser to sell.

proud owner of the HTC Touch HD2

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Devices:Too many!
  • Twitter:@nedge2k

I think that in most minds this will be a far, far cry from a "Kaiser Killer". Between the lack of a keyboard and no touch screen the phone becomes effectively worthless to a great majority of WM users. On top of that the key pad seems reminiscent of the Nokia N73, my last phone, (which had the the most difficult keypad to do anything on, which is especially sad since I have very thin fingers). At best its features tie that of the kaiser (that is if they upgrade the RAM), and that isn't even really true due to the lack of a qwerty keyboard, and touchscreen, which I mentioned before. Coupled with the fact that there is no guarantee that this will be a world ready (quad-band and tri-band) phone, I think this has no chance of outselling the kaiser unless its significantly cheaper, which by your estimates seems as though it isn't going to happen.

Erm...it has a touchscreen ;)

Cab-O-Matic - The ONLY online .cab maker (now working again, mostly!)

Posted Image Posted Image

HerpezP

HerpezP

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500
xorangefirex, the P750 does have a touch screen. It's also running WM6 Professional just like the Kaiser.

I must agree, though, that Kaiser Killer is a little far-fetched, since it's more of a different device (better for some - me for instance ;)) than a "Killer".

mikeeey

mikeeey

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Devices:Nokia n82 (hacked)
guys, check pdadb before even makign assumptions about the device:
http://www.pdadb.net...?m=specs&id=804

i personally cant stand a ppc with only a screen, i need a keyboard to do everything.
the joystick looks like itl get stuck like the sp5, does this worry anyone else? thats why i like D-pads, also some allow 8 way presses. aparently the Kaiser lets you do 8 way presses.

my signature is too long

Jazzamataz

Jazzamataz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HP 1940
I hope the Xt9 works better then on the ToshibaG900. It makes the device very slow and the only solution is to remove it via the registry.

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
it works great, very speedy ;)

zen123

zen123

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Definately needs 128meg program memory & its the only thing that woud stop me from buying it. I'm confident of Asus as a manufacturer of high quality computer based electronics. The only reason I sold my Asus P525 was because I need built in GPS.

I borrowed a friends Kaiser for a week while he was on vacation & found it to be a good solid device but ultimately too thick & heavy for one handed use as well the less than satisfactory GPS performance.

The new HP 614C also looks very promising so I'll wait for them both to appear & make a choice then.

My O2 Orbit although in perfect working condition is begging to be retired as I've dropped it a few times & is beginning to fall apart.

My Phones :

LG Optimus 2X

Iphone 4

Samsung Galaxy Tab

richair

richair

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8310

the joystick looks like itl get stuck like the sp5, does this worry anyone else? thats why i like D-pads, also some allow 8 way presses. aparently the Kaiser lets you do 8 way presses.

Yep, that worries me as well. I have a Qtek 8310, and the joystick still works but not very convincingly most of the time. I wouldn't consider it a deal killer though, especially if the stick turns out to be be solid (unlike the 8310-stick, way too loose from day one).

In the light, it will also be interesting to see how the touch wheel on the iPaq 614 will work. Since this phone is comparably to the P750, this might be a good alternative if the touch wheel is any good.

Anyone seen any reviews already on the iPaq 614?

Spankth

Spankth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Asus Jupiter
I would like to see a D-ad in this but i doubt the joystick would get stuck. It looks very similar to the joystick in the Asus Jupiter ( O2 Grpahite ) which I've had for about 8 months now, and haven't had any problems with sticking or any at all for that matter.

Numetheus

Numetheus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:BlackBerry 8100
Without a full qwerty keyboard, this thing really isnt a Tilt killer, and never will be. It is merely a different device to choose from, based on personal preference. I for one, would NEVER get one, because lack of a full keyboard is a HUGE turn off and highly unusable for anyone in a professional environment requiring lots of email correspondence.

I will say the specs are awesome! The device however, as a whole, sucks. Completely USELESS without a full keyboard. (for my device and work requirements)

Numetheus

Numetheus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:BlackBerry 8100

I use my device primarily to reply to emails on the road so for me QWERTY is essential.

So near to my perfect device now - just add a sliding QWERTY to this or GPS and WM6 Pro to the Wings and we're there.

When this was first rumoured earlier in the summer, Sirf III was touted for the GPS hardware, can you confirm this is the case?

Ya. There is absolutely no way this is a Tilt killer. No keyboard will be a decision killer for anyone that requires lots of email and other messaging correspondence. For me, I don't care if this has a 1 ghz processor, and 20 terrabytes of memory. That is not going to help me get pissed off at it when I realize I get frustrated because I have to send hundreds of email, and each are written slow as snot because of no qwerty.

Tilt killer? No way.

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
Jeez....don't sit on the fence, tell us what you really think!

If you NEED a QWERTY keypad then no, this device is probably not for you. If, however, you have no real need of a QWERTY keypad and prefer to be able to use a device with one hand then this beats the Kaiser hands down. That's my opinion, I'm entitled to it etc. etc.

samy.3660

samy.3660

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:imate k-jam
Alex what do you say about performance, does it ever lag because of less memory. And battery life, how is it, does it run for a day.
I would really love this device if it only had the 128mb RAM.

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
To be honest, I don't think it needs 128MB RAM, it's plenty fast with 64MB. There's battery life info on the previous page.

b-stevens

b-stevens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN II

I use my device primarily to reply to emails on the road so for me QWERTY is essential.

So near to my perfect device now - just add a sliding QWERTY to this or GPS and WM6 Pro to the Wings and we're there.

When this was first rumoured earlier in the summer, Sirf III was touted for the GPS hardware, can you confirm this is the case?

There was a review posted somewhere where it mentioned that since the Wings has the same processor as the Kaiser, it does indeed have GPS capability, its just whether or not you'll easily be able to activate it.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,225 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
I really fear for 64MB RAM devices, every 64MB RAM device i've ever had has suffered with out of memory errors.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

mikeeey

mikeeey

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Devices:Nokia n82 (hacked)

To be honest, I don't think it needs 128MB RAM, it's plenty fast with 64MB. There's battery life info on the previous page.

haha i have not once ever said that about a device. i will never speak of it being ok with less, but talk about how much better it could be with more. but who knows, the kaiser at first said to have 64mb of ram, and some early versions actualy did have that much, then it was upgraded later, i guess wel see what happens.

my signature is too long

J273

J273

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Phones / computers / Cars
  • Devices:WHITE IPHONE 3GS
  • Twitter:@J273
when roughly do you think this will be available then?

end of October or end of November time?.......ive noticed its now showing on expansys but not announced.

Flickr
Iphone / Asus p750 / Samsung I780

Joshivivek

Joshivivek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:SMT5600

I really fear for 64MB RAM devices, every 64MB RAM device i've ever had has suffered with out of memory errors.

P

64MB ram wow

they are better off not even getting this unit into production, just kill it now, why bother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users