Internet Passthrough S710 Help

Guest hevvyd

Guest hevvyd

Hi All. This is my first post. I've thumbed through all of the discussion topics on this forum but couldn't find a definite answer to my question(s).

I have an HTC s710 (WM6 Standard) and am currently trying to access the internet by plugging my phone into my pc.

I have followed all of the instructions with regards to activating internet passthough on Activesync 4.5 (ie activating 'Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop').

I have also disabled advanced function in the USB-PC settings.

Bascially, what I don't understand, is how to know that I am getting internet on my phone after doing so. Do I have to turn wifi on and connect to a link there? -Or will my mobile browser automatically detect the passthrough from Activesync? Will any special icons appear on my screen?

If there is anyone out there who has successfully surfed the internet on a vox via Activesync, could you please point me in the right direction?

Also:

When using Activesync Passthrough, does the phone get assigned it's own IP (like via DHCP or something)?

Thx in advance to any help in this regard...

Guest lev8080
Hi All. This is my first post. I've thumbed through all of the discussion topics on this forum but couldn't find a definite answer to my question(s).

I have an HTC s710 (WM6 Standard) and am currently trying to access the internet by plugging my phone into my pc.

I have followed all of the instructions with regards to activating internet passthough on Activesync 4.5 (ie activating 'Allow wireless connection on device when connected to the desktop').

I have also disabled advanced function in the USB-PC settings.

Bascially, what I don't understand, is how to know that I am getting internet on my phone after doing so. Do I have to turn wifi on and connect to a link there? -Or will my mobile browser automatically detect the passthrough from Activesync? Will any special icons appear on my screen?

If there is anyone out there who has successfully surfed the internet on a vox via Activesync, could you please point me in the right direction?

Also:

When using Activesync Passthrough, does the phone get assigned it's own IP (like via DHCP or something)?

Thx in advance to any help in this regard...

Guest lev8080

first turn ur wifi connection off then go to ur Windows Mobile Device Center / mobile device settings / connection sittings / check mark all and and see if its on ( this computer is connected to: the internet ) , try to refresh the sync

then : in ur PC go to :Control panel/ network and internet / network connections

u will see a new Mobile device modem or something like that , DELETE ANY Bridge connections if u have , then repair ur Mobile device modem..

and it can also be problem with/ and the IP getway for ur device

IF u r using Vista so theres another ways, i will check laiter

Guest hevvyd
first turn ur wifi connection off then go to ur Windows Mobile Device Center / mobile device settings / connection sittings / check mark all and and see if its on ( this computer is connected to: the internet ) , try to refresh the sync

then : in ur PC go to :Control panel/ network and internet / network connections

u will see a new Mobile device modem or something like that , DELETE ANY Bridge connections if u have , then repair ur Mobile device modem..

and it can also be problem with/ and the IP getway for ur device

IF u r using Vista so theres another ways, i will check laiter

I'm not using vista. In fact, I am trying to connect through a work network. This is why I want to know how the phone responds in a situation when there are no restrictions. If Activesync and/or an unrestricted router gives the phone its own IP address, then I guess I'm euchered, as my work is network is very tight and will not give out new ip addresses.

AND, if so, can I manually give my phone the same ip address as my desktop in hopes to bypass my network security?

But, basically, I'm curious that if there is no network security in place, will the phone start browsing as soon as I connect it to the pc and run IE?

Guest lev8080

agen go to Control panel/ network and internet / network connections

and configure the modem that will appear from ur device, yeah u can try to copy the same IP that the pc using to your device modem but i dont think that it will work it depends on your network router and its security( and its access path's ), dont forget that u must have Administrative access to the network otherwise dont even bather

and its all about the Bridge connections when it comes to network based access for the Internet in companies , that will block access for your device

its interesting to know what u see on the device screen when trying the connection to the Internet, is there some mesg or error ? if theres tel about it so will go for one last try

Guest paholman

At my workplace, access to the internet is via a proxy server.

So, I set the same on my VOX and it works fine.

Here are my settings, perhaps it may help you

ActiveSync (on PC)

File > Connection Settings:-

- All options enabled/ticked

- This computer is connected to: Work Network

Settings on phone

Start > Settings > 6. Connections > 6. Proxy

Name: Work Proxy

Connects to: The Internet

Proxy (name:port) - proxyhost.domain:80

Type: Socks4

Username:

Password:

(My Work proxy doesn't require username/password, some workplaces might do.)

Start > Settings > 6. Connections > Menu > Advanced

Internet Connection: Automatic

Work Connection: Automatic

note: The above only applies when I'm at work. When using "pass through" at home, my home PC is set as follows:-

ActiveSync (on PC)

File > Connection Settings:-

- All options enabled/ticked

- This computer is connected to: The Internet

You won't see any specific icon to indicate a "pass through" connection, but if Wifi is not enabled, and you're accessing the internet, just make sure the GPRS/Edge icon above the signal strength is not visible, or you could still be accessing via GPRS/Edge.

I hope this helps

Edited by paholman

MY work does have a proxy server. I knew that I'd need to put that in the phone. I was just unsure where...

Thankfully, I don't have to return to work for a couple days, but I will definitely give it another try when I get there.

Thx,

D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Cyprine

I've finally been able to get the internet passthrough thing to work. I can use IE to surf on the phone beautifully.

However, the main purpose was to be able to check my Rogers Yahoo email, which my Work proxy prohibits (stupid Websense!). So I don't check via IE...is it possible to get email in the phone's (HTC S621) messaging/text function using the internet passthrough without using GPRS? When I tell it to check for emails in the messaging/text screen, it keeps saying I would incur roaming charges.

The other way i thought might be worth checking out is to use Yahoo Go 2.0 but that program doesn't even seem to detect any internet connection at all. Anyone know anything about this? I know that program works on my phone because when I downloaded it via Wi-fi at some random hotspot, it was getting my emails and all the widgets were working well when it detected a connection.

Anybody?