QuickGPS not working

Guest UncleJimbo

Guest UncleJimbo

Hi guys,

Just over the past week or so QuickGPS is failing to connect to the internet and downloading new data. It doesn't seem to matter what apps I have running, if I'm connected via ActiveSync, GPRS or WiFi... nothing works.

Are there any kind of logs generated by this app? I can't see what the problem could be other than potentially with the servers that QuickGPS connects to.

Anyone else suffering?

Guest thelondonthing

I've had exactly the same problem. The QuickGPS app worked fine for the first few days when I got my Vario III. Now, it just won't work.

When I try to download satellite data through the app, the download progress meter pops up, and occasionally even gets to 100%(!), before telling me "Connection failed. Please try again later."

Additionally, I'm now getting pop-up notifications telling me:

QuickGPS Autodownload Failed

Quick GPS has failed to autodownload satellite data. Check your connection and choose what you want to do:

- Try again

- Download again 5 minutes later

- Disable autodownload

It's terribly frustrating, because I've not changed any connection settings since QuickGPS originally worked.

Grrr!

Guest thelondonthing

I appreciate that there have been issues with data on T-Mobile over the last couple of days, but this has been going on for a week now, for me at least.

I appreciate that there have been issues with data on T-Mobile over the last couple of days, but this has been going on for a week now, for me at least.

I'm on AT&T and I'm having the exact same problem. No idea why. It successfully downloaded yesterday morning, but cannot since then.

Guest sc0user_75

Well, I tried my GPS for the first time today. Once at home and once at work.

Both times, using Google Maps, I had a hit within a matter of a few quick seconds.

Sooooooo much more better than the N95's gimmick of a GPS phone!

Guest pilotfred

Funny, I had a problem yesterday with GPS as google maps put my position in Iceland! thought it was a bit chilly yesterday? The Vario 3 had problems with latching on to satellites. Been fine today with TomTom though! very quick.

Edited by pilotfred

Guest UncleJimbo

I wonder whether it has anything to do with Blackberry Connect which I'm running on the phone. It's screwed up IE connecting to the internet and even Live Messenger won't connect as a result. Maybe the same thing has affected QuickGPS.

Anyone else running BB Connect?

I noticed some things with QuickGPS after hard resetting a Tilt.

First, xtra.bin isn't just stored in \Windows, but also in \Temp. Try not removing it when cleaning temp folders, and that might influence QuickGPS.

Also, I looked into HLKM\Software\HTC and noticed another key, "SUPL AGPS". I was intrigued, so I changed the value, "EnableAGPS" to "1" and haven't noticed any abnormalities. I tried a Google search, but most information was in French. Go figure.

I was in Winston-Salem yesterday, and noticed I was receiving a GPS signal in little less than 10 seconds, without initiating anything through GPSTest or GPSViewer. Perhaps this might help some of you.

P.S.

These are the registry settings after a hard reset (w/o AT&T customization):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=17

Yup. Was just getting ready to repost those.

For some reason, SOMETHING happens and the registry settings change. I don't know what or why but it happens and seems to be fairly common.

If you change your settings back to those in the link above (reposted below) and do a soft reset, it will work as normal again.

But this has happened to me twice and changing back to the above settings fixes it.

Remember, all values are HEX, not DEC.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\QuickGPS]

"RemindTime"="02151010034724"

"Bias"=dword:fffffed4

"ExpiredTime"=dword:00002760

"folder"="\Windows\"

"region"="US"

"INIDate"="20060531"

"remind"=dword:00000001

"actSync"=dword:00000001

"auto"=dword:00000000

"NotifyID"=dword:00001960

"INIFile"=""

"path"=""

"EEFile"="xtra.bin"

"curRegion"=dword:00000000

"curIP"=dword:00000000

"pwd"="1"

"authname"="1"

-Mc

Edited by McHale

• 4 weeks later...

I also got the same problem...

the only solution, and I recommand it, from time to time, make back up of your registry and sometimes of all the phone.

It save my life several times!

I got the same problem with the quickgps, I think it was after making a quickcleaning, and this clean all the temp data, like previously stated and that's probably not a good idea!

My program SK Tools! I'm very happy with it, very recommanded!

I made once a hard reset, then a clean installation, tested everything and made a backup!that it, so do you back-up regularly and it could save your day!or night ;-)

BR

Y@nn

• 1 month later...
Guest ScrewlooseAZ

I was having the same problem today and a few times recently. So...

I tired to update with Wifi - Connection failed

Tried again with a PC link - Connection failed

I read a few posts on here, did a soft reset and just for kicks I tried it just over Edge and it worked.

I'm not sure if the soft reset fixed it or the fact that I just used my wireless service to update it.

Guest ferryrich

I was unable to connect all over Christmas but power cycled my device this morning and its worked first time since.

Didn't have to mess with the registry at all

Guest nevawlkalone
I was unable to connect all over Christmas but power cycled my device this morning and its worked first time since.

Didn't have to mess with the registry at all

Power cycled?

Guest dolbe666

I found a quickgps cab file on xda-dev that worked. all i did was install the cab file and it started working again. only difference it only lasts 3 days instead of 6 days before needing updated. but hey atleast it works :(