Screen Dimming after closing a call

Guest botess

I guess this is a ROM issue: I got a Kaiser with Vodafone, and have a frustrating problem (I'm sure this is shared elsewhere but cannot find it...)

After closing a call, the brightness on the screen dims, and I cannot bring the brightness back no normal unless I press the power button twice. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a remedy? Help!

Guest sc0user_75

Check your back light timeout settings mate. You may have it set to 1 minute.

Only thing that concerns me about your situation though is the fact that you have to press the Power button twice. I regain the brightness on my VIII by pressing any of the buttons... unless the phone is in Sleep mode, in which case I press the Power button - but only once.

I guess this is a ROM issue: I got a Kaiser with Vodafone, and have a frustrating problem (I'm sure this is shared elsewhere but cannot find it...)

After closing a call, the brightness on the screen dims, and I cannot bring the brightness back no normal unless I press the power button twice. Does this happen to anyone else, and is there a remedy? Help!

Ah, I though I was the only one...

I have a Kaiser from T-Mobile that is doing something similar. In my case, the screen dims and seems to activate the screen lock - but I have no way of unlocking it unless I tap the power button twice (once to switch off and once to switch back on).

I have been onto T-Mobile and they said they would issue a replacement - but unfortunately they are out of stock, so if anyone knows how to fix this I'd be much appreciated. ;)

Guest michi123

This has been reported several times......

The problem is caused by the device´s password protection. Disable the password and you won´t be facing that problem. If you can´t disable the PW because it´s forced on by your exchange server do a search for an app called "stayunlock". This program will deactivate your PW everytime it´s forced on by the exchange server.

Hope, it helped!

The problem is caused by the device´s password protection. Disable the password and you won´t be facing that problem. If you can´t disable the PW because it´s forced on by your exchange server do a search for an app called "stayunlock". This program will deactivate your PW everytime it´s forced on by the exchange server.

Hope, it helped!

Thanks - I have disabled my password and will see what that does when I receive a call. Your comments make sense though, an unlock screen may be initialised, what a silly bug... I guess this will be fixed on a ROM release. Where is the best place to get official ROMs when they get released by the way? And is it advisable to download a default HTC ROM if you have a network-customised phone? I guess it doesnt make too much difference..

Hope, it helped!

Thanks for the info. I've deactivated the password and this seems to have stopped the bug... Not ideal though, cos the device is now unprotected.

Guest dolbe666

use this reg tweak. it will stop the screen dimming during and after a call

\HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableFastDormantDisplayDuringCall

From "1" to "0"

this way you can keep your password protection

Edited by dolbe666

That didn't work.. do you have to soft reset to get it to apply?

Does this also stop the stupid issue of the dispaly being dimmed before you've entered your PIN?

On another note, why do you have to press a button to unlock now?! it was so much easier when you just punch in your 4 numbers and you're done

Edited by lozzd

Guest dolbe666
That didn't work.. do you have to soft reset to get it to apply?

Does this also stop the stupid issue of the dispaly being dimmed before you've entered your PIN?

On another note, why do you have to press a button to unlock now?! it was so much easier when you just punch in your 4 numbers and you're done

yes reboot after any reg change for it to be effective

Okay so that's half fixed. Now the screen says on full brightness until the timeout (my device turns off after 1 minute)

I turn the device back on, hang up the call, and the screen dims. When I close the phone app, it still says "Phone" in the task bar. so basically, it doesnt work ;)

edit: EXCELLENT, but I did just find the answer to one of my other questions:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\BackLight\LockLevel\

Set it to 5 (same as my normal backlight level) and now no stupid dimming rubbish

which also stops it dimming after you end the phone call! but doens't solve it still saying "phone", that requires a off/on press.

Edited by lozzd

Guest dolbe666
but doens't solve it still saying "phone", that requires a off/on press.

ive got to admit ive never had that problem. it sounds like the phone isnt closing properly and its hanging rather than close

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Subliminal Aura
edit: EXCELLENT, but I did just find the answer to one of my other questions:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\BackLight\LockLevel\

This almost works(starts working instantly which suprised me as to whether this is the right key or not) but rebooting(soft reset) defaults this value back again to 0. :(

The thing about this key is that it looks like its dynamic and so is not the one we want.

I'll do a reg search whilst going out for a puff in the cold ;)

I have the same problem. I should not have to tweak or diable my password to stop this fault from happening. Sounds like HTC need to step up quickly and fix their software. It is not reasonable to expect basic faults like this on a £400 phone.

Class action against HTC? I hope they are taking note. It would not be good press with action against HTC given they are trying to bring their brand name out of OEM-only status.

O.

Edited by oliie

Guest Phil Lee
Class action against HTC? I hope they are taking note. It would not be good press with action against HTC given they are trying to bring their brand name out of OEM-only status.

O.

Jeepers, give them a chance to fix it before you start talking about legal action.

Well, lets hope they fix the software bugs sooner rather than later.

I found that using the registry hack in addition to increasing the backlight staying on time to max, works best for me. That way, I can at least have a password set and as long as i'm not on a call for more than around five minutes, its not too much of a problem. Having said that, pressing the power buton twice after a call is not that bad really... more annoying than anything else!

Jeepers, give them a chance to fix it before you start talking about legal action.

A large multi-million pound company has obligations as part of generating their income. If they can't meet them then they should always be prepared for the consequences.

The 'fix-it' part is what User Acceptance Testing is for, and is why consumers didn't get their phone until October 2007 while the phone is actually ready for production a few months prior. The consequence of a poor User Acceptance Testing process should not be tolerated by an end user paying much higher than average for a phone / pda. If there is information that gives indication that such a problem existed while in testing (but was released for sale regardless) then this is negligence in anyone's book.

I suspect HTC already knows this however ;)

O.

Edited by oliie