Does the hardware Hard Reset work on the TyTN II?

Guest PeterJD

Guest PeterJD

I've twice had to do Hard Resets. The first time was as a result of my TyTN II arriving with a defective screen. To their credit eXpansys replaced the device very quickly. Their return instructions recommended hard resetting the device before return, to wipe private data. The second time was due to the dreaded internal GPS AWOL problem.

The manual says that one can do a Hard Reset by holding down the Left and Right Soft Keys and pressing the reset button with the stylus, then keeping the soft keys depressed. This didn't work for me. The device just restarted normally. I then used the menu Clear Storage option.

Has anyone got the hardware Hard Reset method to work on the TyTN II? Is there a trick to it? This is out of interest. Hopefully I won't need the information again!

Guest Mr.Clark

By "soft keys", they mean when the screen is closed, the buttons between the Pick Up and Hang Up buttons.

I mention this as on the original TyTN (the Orange version, at least) you used the soft keys above the QWERTY keyboard, but this appears not to work on my Vario III.

Guest PeterJD

I tried the front Soft Keys and the keyboard Soft Keys. I tried it with the machine switched on and switched off. I don't know why the hardware method Hard Reset didn't work for me on either of the two phones.

Thanks, Paul, for confirming it does work. I shan't try it again right now! ;)

Guest Swampie

Are you sure you're doing it right?

What I do is:

a) Make sure device is on

;) Hold down the 2 soft key buttons and do not release

c) Insert sylus in reset button on base

d) Leave inserted for at least 1 second

e) Remove stylus leaving soft keys still pressed

f) Finally, release soft keys.

Device should then display instructions to complete hard reset.

Guest Mr.Clark
What are the benefits of a hard reset on a Vario III (i.e. T-Mobile branded)?

When you've fiddled with your GPS settings and it's stopped working, a hard reset brings it back ;)

Guest jimbouk
What are the benefits of a hard reset on a Vario III (i.e. T-Mobile branded)?

On any device, there are only three reasons for a hard reset:

1) You are getting rid of it and want to wipe it

2) You've mucked the device up and cant work out how to get it back working.

3) You want to try it without the network customisation (ie hard reset and then soft reset before the customisation starts)

Guest bdaniel
I've twice had to do Hard Resets. The first time was as a result of my TyTN II arriving with a defective screen. To their credit eXpansys replaced the device very quickly. Their return instructions recommended hard resetting the device before return, to wipe private data. The second time was due to the dreaded internal GPS AWOL problem.

The manual says that one can do a Hard Reset by holding down the Left and Right Soft Keys and pressing the reset button with the stylus, then keeping the soft keys depressed. This didn't work for me. The device just restarted normally. I then used the menu Clear Storage option.

Has anyone got the hardware Hard Reset method to work on the TyTN II? Is there a trick to it? This is out of interest. Hopefully I won't need the information again!

The manual for the tytn 2 is almost right.

To hard reset the device whilst off do the following:

1, hold down the left and right soft keys

2, keeping the buttons held down press the soft reset button with the stylus for 1 second

3, Then press the main power button.

4, You will then see a prompt warning you the device will be cleared, press the green call button to agree.

Now just follow the on screen instructions and your device will be reset

• 10 months later...
Guest The_Chef

whew... I've been trying this on my new Tytn II for ages too. Finally got it working consistently ;)

No real problems for me requiring a hard reset (apart from wanting to clear my installed progs/memory now that I plan to install everything on storage card), but I'm the type of guy who would want to make sure a manual hard reset works BEFORE any real problems come up (when I'm unable to go into the Clear Storage menu).

Anyway, I eventually found out the original method DOES work (hold 2 soft keys, no need for power button), BUT you need to be very very careful not to press ANY of the other buttons as well. It's very easy to touch the Send/End keys and the joystick as well, since they surround the small soft keys.

I don't like how small and surrounded those soft keys are.. resorted to fingernails here.

Guest Webreaper
On any device, there are only three reasons for a hard reset:

1) You are getting rid of it and want to wipe it

2) You've mucked the device up and cant work out how to get it back working.

3) You want to try it without the network customisation (ie hard reset and then soft reset before the customisation starts)

4) You want to give the device a new lease of life. Hard-resetting usually gives (back) a huge performance increase and makes everything quick and snappy again.