Any other Kaiser + Slingbox users out there?

Guest AndyO

Just a brief note to say I'm pretty impressed with my Slingbox on the Kaiser! What are other's experiences?

I'm on T-Mob with Web'n'Walk plus (3Gb). The handoffs when it seems to first establish the HSDPA connection seem a little sluggish but once its underway its fine.

Not that impressed with the high speed coverage when moving about in London (ie on the way back from work in a taxi), as it causes a lot of stuttering/loss of signal on the broadcast, but if I stay still its generally pretty watchable.

The player doesn't like being fullscreen as far as I can tell - that seems to freeze it up presumably due to bandwidth restrictions, so I leave it in portrait mode with the buttons below active and find it keeps up well. I'd be interested to hear others' experiences of use on T-Mobile!?

I had some trouble configuring the slingbox as I left it on auto but this seemed to create some problem (with the router I suspect) when I viewed the slingbox through my desktop then tried to connect from my Kaiser...using manual settings and its very reliable now!

In general the novelty value of watching my own TV on the phone and catching up on all the rubbish I've been recording is going to take a long time to wear off!

Reckon I'd give it a good 7 out of 10 - and once I've got more consistent bandwidth available I'd thoroughly expect this to become a 9!!!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I use Slingbox on my device, and although I haven't used it a massive amount yet, i generally use it in full screen!

By auto mode, do you mean finder ID? I always use IP and port....

P

Guest jimbouk

I've used mine on my Hermes for a few months - perfect for catching the start of F1 races etc when out and about - and your thread prompted me to try it on my Tytn... EVEN BETTER...! Initial connection was quicker and maybe this device has a good radio but when I used my hermes at this location (where the 3g signal is a little iffy), it wasnt as reliable as it is on Tytn 2.

Guest rickyburke

Works perfectly for me full screen.

If you happen to fall into a low bandwidth area, chuck the resolution down and it usually helps.

Also if your having connection problems, enable uPnP on your router.

Edited by rickyburke

Guest rickyburke

If you enable slingstream optimisation, yes.

But you can enter your setting manually if you know how your bandwidth is going to be, that way you dont have slingplayer constantly changing the framerate and other settings.

Guest rickyburke

If your moving around its perfect.

But when im at work at my desk, i just set it to 250k, 15fps, i-frame 15, and max resolution.

I always have those settings saved, so its just a matter of unticking a box.

On another note, although the Kaiser works well with Slingplayer, then best device ive used it on is the HTC Blue Angel, aka M2000.

If you enable slingstream optimisation, yes.

But you can enter your setting manually if you know how your bandwidth is going to be, that way you dont have slingplayer constantly changing the framerate and other settings.

Hmm, that's actually pretty interesting...like Paul said I'd imagined the software would handle the optimisation well but I guess if bandwidth is really volatile you can't expect miracles!!!

I like the idea of being able to save (and quickly access) bandwidth profiles (stationary, conservative mobile etc) to reduce the amount of 'resampling' that goes on - I'm sure half the stutters are just the handset suddenly getting 760k for about three seconds, scaling up, then dropping back down to something more standard and thus starting to lag big time...

Agree with Paul on the software UI tweaks, its pretty rough around the edges for something you're expected to pay proper money for, especially after parting with a hundred notes for the box! But there's enough ranting about that on the SlingCommunity ;)

With customised code for the (ATI derived, right?) graphics hardware in the Tytn II, I wonder if the chipset could scale well, thus helping out the player? There's not a whole lot around at present that uses the graphics capabilities, and until some optimised stuff appears I'm finding the general 'pottering about' responsiveness to be pretty average!!! (sorry, off topic)

Guest rickyburke

To be quite honest, it sometimes feels like the mobile slingplayer is throttled to hold back bandwidth, i assume to save battery life.

They havent released a new version for a while, so hopefully now WM6 is the norm, and faster processors/connections are more common, they will update the software to enable even higher quality video.

Guest mattmcl1

I just upgraded from SlingBox on a Cingular 8125 (Edge only 200 mHz processor) to Kaiser (AT&T Tilt with HTC ROM installed). I am really impressed with how much better it performs. Really impressive mobile TV experience!

Guest rickyburke

You need to buy a Slingbox, circa £100, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/s...lingbox_product

I had a discount voucher code for PcWorld, but ive lost it.

Then you'll need slingplayer, i think its £15-20 for the PPC version, and free for the PC version.

They used to do the mobile version free when u registered your slingbx, but alas they no longer do.

I've been a fairly active Sling beta tester and find it to work about the same on Kaiser as it did with the 8525. I generally let it auto optimize and use the finder ID both inside and outside my LAN. The Kaiser's better with simul BT and WiFi with Sling, the Hermes didn't do that well at all. I often use the BTaudioToggle app to listen thru my Jawbone headset while Slinging on the go.

I use it at home with wireless LAN and wired earbuds, shut down all other radios and Sling my netowrked DVRs much like reading a book in bed. I can get around 4 hours straight with this setup. Landscape works well, good fluid video.

I am curious as to what you would like to see in the soft keys, specifically? I've always pushed them for assignable soft keys in the next big revision, one can hope...

I've been a fairly active Sling beta tester and find it to work about the same on Kaiser as it did with the 8525. I generally let it auto optimize and use the finder ID both inside and outside my LAN. The Kaiser's better with simul BT and WiFi with Sling, the Hermes didn't do that well at all. I often use the BTaudioToggle app to listen thru my Jawbone headset while Slinging on the go.

I use it at home with wireless LAN and wired earbuds, shut down all other radios and Sling my netowrked DVRs much like reading a book in bed. I can get around 4 hours straight with this setup. Landscape works well, good fluid video.

I am curious as to what you would like to see in the soft keys, specifically? I've always pushed them for assignable soft keys in the next big revision, one can hope...

What's the difference between the circa £100 slingbox and the slingbox pro? Is the pro worth the extra £100?

Thanks

Guest jamesd256

I just bought a Kaiser and Slingbox at the same time. It works fantastically well. I just leave it on medium action and let Slingplayer set the resolution and framerate.

I had to upgrade to the Virgin Media XL broadband package though. Before I was on M, and the upstream was too slow at 256kbs. Incidentally, for those who don't know, Virgin just moved their XL from 10meg to 20meg, and the upstream has gone up to 768kbs (think it was 384 before).

Anyway, this is what I bought an HSDPA phone for, so very satisfied. Girlfriend not so, as I spend my train journeys in to work watching catch up tv instead of chatting.

What's the difference between the circa £100 slingbox and the slingbox pro? Is the pro worth the extra £100?

Thanks

I think its basically Hi Def support, but don't know if this is receiving or sending. It also lets you connect several high-def sources I think. In my view the pro is a complete waste ;)

You can connect several video sources to the original too, but there's only one of each input type (S-Video, composite, Coaxial, scart) though I think the sound inputs might be more limiting.

So the Pro features....

HD Sending - Not sure whether the 'normal' slingbox can compress high-def video sources as I don't use any high def kit. Is this the big difference in the models? Anyone confirm if the original can do the job?

HD Receiving - As the Pro does compress HD video, the question is whether it tries to reproduce HD on the receiving device! I doubt this is even a feature as its not likely to be very useful?! Certainly not something I'm likely to give a stuff about on my 2.8inch screen!!! Or on my PC for that matter, the frame rates aren't high enough yet to justify it, and my laptop screen wouldn't do it justice either. Until I get a 32 inch laptop, HD slinging can sod off. It's like putting a go faster stripe on a Robin Reliant, the framework just isn't there yet :(

At present you're most likely to be 'slinging' your TV signal to something the equivalent of a 14 inch with a slightly blurred picture, or your mobile phone, so advertising HD seems a bit of a larf...basically I think the 'pro' is a waste at present as in reality bandwidth constraints make the standard a more realistic offering at a better price point.

And a great bit of kit it is too!!!

...Sling are working on a hardware 'SlingCatcher' that will be a plug-in box that you can connect to a web source and a regular TV. The catcher will then receive your home slingbox signal and pop it on a real telly. Now Bandwidth permitting, I *might* care about HD then :D But again, I reckon it'll be about two or three years before this is mature enough to work well.

Guest rickyburke

I was going to type all that about the Pro, but i didnt have the energy, but you've covered it all there.

Oh and the England game starts in 10 minutes and all ive heard all week is people moaning about how their going to miss it as they are at work...........Hehehe not me.

Thanks

I'll add that the basic SlingBox is very good value, it has R/F input, and a video input (S-Vid and composite choice).

The Pro has this, Plus a HD component input (with a seperate audio input) and it can actually control 2 different video sources plus it's built-in R/F. It doesn't stream Hi-Def but it's home-LAN streaming bitrate is about double that of the "classic" slingbox so the video is extremely good.

The new SlingBox "Solo" is a single A/V connect box, supporting Component/S-Vid/Composite, no R/F input.

For out of network streaming (via the internet to the phones, remote PC's etc.) the bitrate is much much lower and the video quality from all Slingboxes is about the same. So it's the number of inputs and the type of streaming that you plan do do that might guide you toward a higher end SlingBox.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I love my regular Slingbox :( Wonder if they could make one with a Sky decoder built in... even better, put the Slingbox in the Sky box. Oh, wait, didn't Sling get bought by Echostar? Hmmm.... ;)

P

Guest varioIII-lover

just a thought, can ne1 share their settings so i can watch too/demo the amazing slingbox?! lol ..

also ne luck on getting youtube to work, because .youtube with the htc streaming app doesn't work for me even though i have the codecs. where do i put the codecs exactly in filesystem for this to work?

also i use channelchooser but it's on the whole pants, any other good places for streams?

ta.

v3-L

;)