Dashwire takes your content off your device, and into your browser

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
dashwirelogo.png
I've been spending my morning playing with a very cool new FREE Beta application for Windows Mobile devices called Dashwire. As the title, suggests, Dashwire's purpose is to take the content you have on your device (photos, videos, contacts, messages, call history etc.) and to give it to you through your browser. It does this via an always-on conduit on your device. In their own words..

Some things are just easier to do on your computer

Dashwire automatically mirrors the content on your phone to the web, helping you access and share your mobile experience - no cables required.

- Send and receive text messages from your computer
- Automatically upload photos and videos from your phone
- Back-up your contacts
- Single click phone setup
- Share mobile experiences with your friends

For me, there's already some must have features in there. I've long wanted a way to automagically take my device photos away for safe keeping (and in fact used Sharpcast for this for a while), and the ability to view / send SMS messages from my PC without the device being tethered is just awesome. Earlier today I received an SMS and replied when my phone was still upstairs!

Dashwire is in a very early Beta stage (it went live at 8am this morning!) and Beta invites are being issued in batches, so if you're interested I strongly recommend getting in quick... sign up or alternatively, take a tour. Windows Mobile 5 / 6 Pocket PC and Smartphones are supported.

As a Beta application there are a few niggles that need ironing out i've spotted, but i'll be passing these back to the Dashwire team. You can do the same - and share your experiences of the application - in this topic.

Enjoy ;) I'll be taking a bunch of screenshots and including them below (click 'view topic' for news page readers) shortly!

P

[Edit: Full press release available here at the Dashwire site]

dashwiretour.jpg

Guest paholman

This looks great.

If I interpret this right, and provided this works via a "pass through" USB connection too, this could be a long awaited substitute for ActiveStink.

What is not clear is how the contents of the phone are uploaded, especially for those of us not on data contracts.

What upload options are available? Wifi, Pass Through, GPRS/Edge, Bluetooth?

Does it still use ActiveSync to mirror your device to the PC, and upload from your PC to the Web?

How secure is the information on the site?

Or have I completely mis-understood this concept, and there is no server storing your info, and it's all stored on my PC, and only viewed via a browser?

Edited by paholman

Guest Paul (MVP)

In the device client (from http://m.dashwire.com once you have an account!) there's NO options to configure with regards to which connection it uses - it is absolutely aimed at peple on flat rate data contracts. There's a 'Stop Update' option, which I guess you could select when 'untethered'.

There is no PC component at all, it's all device straight to server.

P

Guest paholman
In the device client (from http://m.dashwire.com once you have an account!) there's NO options to configure with regards to which connection it uses - it is absolutely aimed at peple on flat rate data contracts. There's a 'Stop Update' option, which I guess you could select when 'untethered'.

There is no PC component at all, it's all device straight to server.

P

OK thanks Paul.

Shame there's no connection options such as Wifi.

Guest Swampie

Why do they need to know my mobile number though to sign up? I'm cautious about who I give my mobile number to (avoid spam calls etc), so rarely, if ever, put it into websites. Just curious as to why they might need this info.

Guest Swampie
Because they SMS you a link to the download (theoretically, although I didn't get the SMS, not sure why but it IS Beta ;))

P

I actually found the info on their site:

"Why do I have to provide my mobile phone number when signing up?

Don’t worry – we’re not going to call you or give out your number to any telemarketers. We use your mobile phone number to send you an installation link and to verify that the phone accessing Dashwire’s service actually belongs to you. "

http://dashwire.com/about/help

Guest Monolithix

Well i've signed up, looks like the perfect service and i personally can never have enough backups of my data ;) Heres hoping the beta email comes through soon!

Guest agent.m

i thought about the active stink replacement (lol) but really it could be a cheaper option than upgrading to outlook 2007.

Heres my suggestion/question what ever ....it would be good if it can erase duplicate contacts. or make putting all ie seperate email, home & mobile details into one place easier. will see what happens if i get a beta. might already have them feature in ;)

Guest GraviticVortex

I got weird error while registering: "Mobile number is too short (minimum 8 characters)

Seems thats guys running this service dont know that not all operators have 8 character phone numbers... ;)

Guest GraviticVortex

Paul,

i mailed them, got surprisingly fast reply from Ford too.

He promised to fix it.

At the moment it isnt fixed yet though.

Probably takes some time...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.