Hands on with the Orange TyTN II. Oh dear!

Guest PaulOBrien

But if you look at the screen caps, you'll notice the icons for almost everything are Orange-ized. Accessories, Bluetooth Explorer, File Explorer, Java, Comm Manager, Games, those are all standard Windows Mobile apps, not Orange-specific ones.

Guest Thumper Net

Sadly all the O bashing does not help at all , before orange here was taken over they removed the recomondation for modaco from thier site and wap portal , t-mobile here also dont support modaco only the dutch forum and msmobiles and coolsmartphone , So all the network bashing ( what ever network ) is damaging modacos image , i think myself if you dont like the icons then change them or get an unbranded htc phone , dont go out and buy an orange or t-mobile version only to complain about it , it is your choice after all if you dont like the colour schemes ect then dont get that phone simple really , and stops all the boring posts as well <_

Well, I certainly wasn't O bashing lol - As I said, loyal customer for 14 years!

But surely the whole point of having a WM6 device is that it is (or should be) easily customisable...

I am sure Dell and the like would not get away with cripling or radically changing the Windows OS on the PC's we buy - without leaving a way to change it back to Windows default....

And before anyone says - well you get the handset for free etc, well yes, I paid nothing for the handset - BUT my mobile bill averages over £100 a month - every month, so yes, I do pay for the handset. AFAIC free upgrades are just a carrot to tie me in for another 12 months - which I am happy to do lol

Just my 2p worth

Oh, and someone mentioned a hard reset got rid of the network customisations - I presume this does not apply to WM6 devices?

Mike

Guest Thumper Net

If you go into an independant shop you can get the unbranded htc phones also for free with the same taffifs its quite simple really , if you dont like the pink of t-mobile or the orange icons then you do have a choice , getting a phone with icons ect you dont like is stupid atleast now htc are available euro wide in all independant shops so there is finally a choice to have ;) i would not go out and buy a phone i dont want and be stuck on a contract for 2 years or so , you must be mad if you do.

now back to the topic :(

Guest Paul (MVP)

I think i'm entitled to say that I think their device build is ugly no? I forget to mention the dialler and call banner etc, not to mention the fact they removed the nice HTC home ;)

P

Guest Subliminal Aura
I think i'm entitled to say that I think their device build is ugly no? I forget to mention the dialler and call banner etc, not to mention the fact they removed the nice HTC home ;)

P

Well said : I aint got the bottle to say anything - I don't want to be be thumped :(

But on a serious note was HTC home completely excluded from the orange ROM or just disabled ? Sorry I can't remember that far back - The orange ROM was not on my tytn II for long enough for me to notice the finer details.

Guest rickyburke
Hear Hear....

Hopefully the Orange data bashers will take note too. Vote with your signature on a contract and once you have, then live with it.

A lot of people did, hence the fact O are losing customers and T are gaining them.

As this is a discussion forum by definition, opinions will inevitably be aired.

People have different opinions, deal with it.

Guest Neil5459
I am sure Dell and the like would not get away with cripling or radically changing the Windows OS on the PC's we buy - without leaving a way to change it back to Windows default....

Have you bought a new Dell?

They are actually 'crippled' with bloatware, unwanted trial applications and useless add-ons. Not OS granted, but took me a day to get a working machine that started up quickly and didn't keep asking me things I didn't want in the 1st place. Trouble is you go into Add/Remove, and it's not clear which of the huge list is essential and which is unwanted, so I broke the DVD Writer the 1st time by removing a seemingly innocuous program :D

WM devices (including Orange ;) ) are much easier to get working as you want :(

Guest jimbouk
A lot of people did, hence the fact O are losing customers and T are gaining them.

As this is a discussion forum by definition, opinions will inevitably be aired.

People have different opinions, deal with it.

Maybe I am just fed up with all the T customers on here who continue to slag off O's data pricing a year or more after they left. It's kind of like a bloke still pining for this ex-girlfriend...like they secretly miss O or something.

Guest jimbouk
Have you bought a new Dell?

They are actually 'crippled' with bloatware, unwanted trial applications and useless add-ons. Not OS granted, but took me a day to get a working machine that started up quickly and didn't keep asking me things I didn't want in the 1st place. Trouble is you go into Add/Remove, and it's not clear which of the huge list is essential and which is unwanted, so I broke the DVD Writer the 1st time by removing a seemingly innocuous program :D

WM devices (including Orange ;) ) are much easier to get working as you want :(

I have set about ten Dell's up for clients in the last week. They are actually getting better! It used to take a couple of hours to remove all the rubbish now most of the trial software etc (Like McAfee) even offers to remove itself!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Maybe I am just fed up with all the T customers on here who continue to slag off O's data pricing a year or more after they left. It's kind of like a bloke still pining for this ex-girlfriend...like they secretly miss O or something.

Just because you're no longer with a network, doesn't mean you don't have a right to have a say ;) I poured ridiculous amounts of money into Orange's coffers for 10 years before switching to T-Mo. I've always said that if O do the right deal and return to their innovative, customer focused ways of old I would maybe go back. Hell, i'll go where I need to for the best deal for me.

It's that that gives me the right to express my opinion :(

P

Guest ed.dark
The application icons (not so easy to change?) and the orange/grey colour scheme! Yes the rest isnt so bad to remove but on a first impression the "day-to-day" user gets a sub-standard view of WM6 :/

Easy to change. Just use resco to make new shortcuts in the windows/start menu/ programs folder. gets rid of the shortcuts which point to the .dll orange icons

Guest jimbouk
Just because you're no longer with a network, doesn't mean you don't have a right to have a say ;) I poured ridiculous amounts of money into Orange's coffers for 10 years before switching to T-Mo. I've always said that if O do the right deal and return to their innovative, customer focused ways of old I would maybe go back. Hell, i'll go where I need to for the best deal for me.

It's that that gives me the right to express my opinion :(

P

I completely agree... and ordinarily I would defend anyone's right to free speech but you don't go on and on and on and on about O's mad data pricing strategies... unlike some people. As an O customer who doesn't mind a little bit of orange on his handset, enjoys OCS answering the phone usually within 60 seconds and probably the best network coverage for 3g in the UK and who pays £8 inc VAT per month for 1gb of data, I am very happy with them.

Guest Thumper Net
Just because you're no longer with a network, doesn't mean you don't have a right to have a say :( I poured ridiculous amounts of money into Orange's coffers for 10 years before switching to T-Mo. I've always said that if O do the right deal and return to their innovative, customer focused ways of old I would maybe go back. Hell, i'll go where I need to for the best deal for me.

It's that that gives me the right to express my opinion :D

P

In a way that might be correct about you pouring money into orange but they did the same to you as well with all the modaco meets and the last one had free phones , what has t-mobile ever done for modaco ? nothing except to take money from the members for an internet service and the network gives nothing back to us the end user, maybe the anti orange that is allways on this forum is the reason there is no modaco meet this year , cant blame them really and its a shame too , if we wait and hope for t-mobile to support a modaco meet then i think we can fly to the moon for a holiday ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's a very ill informed post actually.

Firstly I am absolutely certain MoDaCo has brought Orange more money than they have spent on us, but secondly by contributing to the events etc. in the way they did, they weren't buying our opinions, and I don't think they ever expected to do so.

There are a whole bunch of reasons we haven't had an event this year, but I can assure you that lack of funding / sponsorship is not one of them.

P

Guest Thumper Net

Ok i probably got it abit wrong on the meet side , but i stand behind my comment that t-mobile have done nothing to the smartphone community at all apart from bringing out a girls coloured software with all that pink , everyone in the uk says how good a deal wnw is but answer this question why does the uk pay 2x more for wnw than the rest of europe ? not such a good deal when you look into it , back to the topic iam sure alot of members will like the de brander when its made ;)

Guest El_Thicko

Slightly off topic, but in today's Times, the paper is accusing the Government of conspiring with the mobile phone companies to keep roaming prices high. The Government (allegedly) thought it owed the companies a favour after the auction of 3G mobile phone licences in 2000, which raised a whopping £22 billion for the chancellor.

Click here.

Guest jimbouk

Unfortunately for all of us, and in spite of anything the networks may say about trying to drive the mobile internet and thus data income, they always look at the biggest picture... and that sadly is not the peculiar animal that makes up Modaco's membership.

The networks are looking at their 5 million plus subscribers (or 50million is pan-european) and don't consider things the way the "few" of us do in terms of data take-up.

Some networks would rather earn a £1 per mb a few times a month from 10% of their members than £8 per month for unlimted data from 0.5% of their membership.

Although I would guess that they are treading carefully to avoid backlash from an EU inspection of data charges...

Guest Monolithix

Indeed, and it isnt necessarily directly their fault for that reason. Look at HTC sales figures compared to Nokia/Moto/Samsung/SE (or even combined). Devices useless at utilising the internet make up the majority of mobile users unfortunately. Luckily the networks are starting to pick up on the (growing, imho) batch of heavy data users but its slow going!

Guest jimbouk

Yep... but they are the same networks who also have to give shelf space to even simpler handsets as they go after the older users... (you know the ones who couldn't program their video recorders).

The other major factor is that networks like pay per use for ringtones and other downloads.

BUT with things like Orange World now being free to surf for all O users, they will find more and more people using data and its pricing will come down even more. Look at home broadband and the current vogue to give it away for free courtesy of convergence.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.