Turn off 3g but leave GPRS on?

Guest Superchimp

Just tap your G /3G icon in the top bar and hit 'disconnect'

If you don't have a disconnect button you can add it with a registry tweak:

http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Windows_M...s#Miscellaneous

OR

hitting the 3G button in Comm manager cycles the phone on and off, thereby disconnecting your data connection

Thanks for the suggestions. What I'd like is something to disable the data connection. I'm using Windows Live with email sync set to "As items arrive" and sometimes I'd like a quick and easy way of disabling the data connection without fiddling with the Windows Live sync settings. If I just tap the connection icon and select disconnect, Windows Live will immediately reconnect. I also want to be able to prevent Windows Live using 3G and draining the battery, hence the reason for being in this thread in the first place.

Guest hotphil

I think it was Windows Live that was killing my battery too. What I decided was that as HoTMaiL mail pops up in Messenger when it arrives during the day and I'm in front of my PC all day, I only actually needed it to check every two hours.

Guest snowgum
I think it was Windows Live that was killing my battery too. What I decided was that as HoTMaiL mail pops up in Messenger when it arrives during the day and I'm in front of my PC all day, I only actually needed it to check every two hours.

I'm anxious about installing one of these Comm managers, because i'm not quite clear of the effects. I would like a Comm manager that had a 3G button that when pressed, closed 3G but left 2G (GPRS) on. I need this for my push email. I'm happy to use the disconnect button at the top to switch the whole lot off, say if I'm travelling.

Looking at the 10 button thread there seem to be all sorts of possible problems with this Comm manager. With the 9 button,however, in this thread some people seem to say that the 3g button switches GPRS off as well! If the 9 button one were to work only to toggle between 3G and 2G then I'd be really happy with that.

Can anyone clarify?

Yours, a little confused.

Matthew

The 9-buton one I linked to in post 7 works fine, It does let you cycle between 2G and 3G. Since I posted that link I thought I'd better install it to test, and have been using it ever since ;)

To clarify the disconnect button it will only close an active connection, to disable your data connections entirely you will need to install something like NoData

Guest snowgum
The 9-buton one I linked to in post 7 works fine, It does let you cycle between 2G and 3G. Since I posted that link I thought I'd better install it to test, and have been using it ever since ;)

To clarify the disconnect button it will only close an active connection, to disable your data connections entirely you will need to install something like NoData

I've tried to install this but it comes up with an error saying that the program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficent system permissions.

Any advice?

M

Guest snowgum
Never installed it myself but read the NoData thread and possibly post there to get Paul's attention

Sorry for not being clear, actually I meant I tried to install the 9 button Comm Manager with 3G button and it wouldn's install.

M