38 replies to this topic

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Devices:a lot
UPDATE (04/12/2008): Note that the just-recommended Ebenezer Jbed 3.1 doesn't create a link in Start Menu (not even when installed to the built-in storage); therefore, you'll need to manually create it. It's pretty simple: either copy (after, if you install Jbed on a storage card, changing "\Windows\jbed.exe" to "\Storage Card\Esmertec Java\jbed.exe" in it; if you're afraid of manually editing the file, I've created it for you; just right-click THIS and select Download / Save) to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (on a touchscreen-enabled Pocket PC) or \Windows\Start Menu (on a touchscreen-less MS Smartphone). On Pocket PC's, you can also go the usual way: go to the home directory (for example, \Storage Card\Esmertec Java), highlight jbed.exe, select Copy; go to the target directory (\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or any subdirectory of it) and select Edit / Paste Shortcut. Then, you may still want to rename the just-created .lnk file so that you can remove the "Shortcut to" prefix.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
Hackers needed: new MIDlet Manager with BT support! Can anyone help?

Just received this on my blog (http://www.pocketpcm...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 ):

Hi,
...did you notice that the free navigation application nav4all at http://www.nav4all.com is also using a midlet manager for smartphones? It supplies Fullscreen, Bluetooth and Cleartype support but is unfortunately tightly linked to this single application. Do you know any way to get this decoupled? The midlet manager is called AIMSmidp.exe and I could not find any reference around the internet for this one. I did some primitve renaming of files to trick it - but no success.

bye
tobbbie
:-)

tobbbie

tobbbie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Devices:Tornado (+ see signature)

Hackers needed: new MIDlet Manager with BT support! Can anyone help?

Just received this on my blog (http://www.pocketpcm...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 ):

Hi,
...did you notice that the free navigation application nav4all at http://www.nav4all.com is also using a midlet manager for smartphones? It supplies Fullscreen, Bluetooth and Cleartype support but is unfortunately tightly linked to this single application. Do you know any way to get this decoupled? The midlet manager is called AIMSmidp.exe and I could not find any reference around the internet for this one. I did some primitve renaming of files to trick it - but no success.

bye
tobbbie

Hi Menneisyys,

...thought to keep this a little more off the big wall for a start :-)
Anyway - the bluetooth support is achieved by some additional dlls and what the rest is concerned, I really have no clue how powerfull this VM may be. It has sound as well for the vocal announcments (despite in low quality compared to TomTom), but I have no idea about midi - which the gamers may need. I thought that you with your expertise and reputation could contact nav4all for some more info - I tried but without success. Maybe its better to be polite in the first place before ripping apart their bundle.
Also notice that the midlet manager is NOT terminated when the application quits. You have to remove it (AIMSmidp.exe) manually with a suitable taskmanager (e.g. CeleTask).

bye
tobbbie

fozzie

fozzie

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7

UPDATE (04/11/2008): XDA-Devs forum member Ebenezer has released a version of Jbed 20080222 3.1 that can be directly installed to a storage card......

Nice one, thanks. It's a shame there's no way of retaining all the existing app settings when updating the JVM.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
UPDATE (04/16/2008): In the meantime, the last-recommended defcomg version has turned out to be buggy; for example, if you install it on a storage card, it’ll still store the deployed files in \Windows\appdb - that is, the main storage. Furthermore, some people have reported (see for example THIS and THIS) it to be incompatible with Opera Mini 4.1 beta (it worked on my Wizard tho) – which isn’t the case with the previously-recommended Ebenezer version. Finally, it can’t be installed on a storage card NOT named Storage Card – that is, on a, say, non-English device or into an alternate Flash memory like “Storage” or “Flash disk” in the Ranju WM6.1 version v7.6 for the HTC Universal.

Therefore, you’ll want to switch back to the Ebenezer version available HERE (requires registration at XDA-Devs) or HERE (direct download from my DB back-end) if you encounter these problems and want to keep your deployed MIDlets on your card. Again, note that you will need to manually create (copy) a shortcut to Jbed.exe with this version – this is the only problem with it. It runs (the signed version of) Opera Mini 4.1b (and, of course, all the other compatible MIDlets, including games) just great.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
UPDATE (04/19/2008):

1. Unfortunately, it seems none of the Jbed 3.1 versions are able to run Opera Mini 4.1 beta on touchscreen-less MS Smartphones (but NOT on Pocket PC's!!!) if you switch to other apps (for example, the home screen) and, then, back, you will no longer be able to control Opera Mini. I've tested this on my WM5 s310 / Oxygen (major problems) and, with HTC's recently-released ROM upgrade, upgraded WM6 s710 / Vox (not that frequent problems but still annoying). At XDA-Devs, other people have also reported the same problem with their Smartphones.

If you do encounter problems like this and can't refrain from task switching, you'll want to downgrade to the Cloudyfa 2.1 version available HERE. Note that it can safely co-exist with 3.1 if you've installed the latter in another directory (for example, on a storage card or a flash disk) - then, it's only the file associations that will be needed to, say, quickly switched if you don't want to manually deploy a MIDlet from inside the GUI of the specific MIDlet manager. That is, you don't need to delete Jbed 3.1 if you plan to keep it for example for M3G gaming.

Note that touchscreen-equipped Pocket PC's do NOT suffer from this problem!

2. Ebenezer has released a fixed version of his Jbed 3.1 MIDlet manager HERE. Now, it does create a link file in Start Menu / Programs on both Pocket PC's and MS Smartphones. It also installs to any target media (not only "Storage Card"s) without problems. Note one caveat, though: the link file (the one the installer puts in the Start menu) has \Storage Card wired in, which doesn't work with any storage card (or flash disk) named other than "Storage Card". Hope this is fixed some time; in the meantime, just manually edit the link file to have the correct path.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
UPDATE (04/25/2008):

1. XDA-Developers forum member m3uch4 has published a decent tutorial on creating shortcuts for Jbed – highly recommended.

2. badbob001, who has just released a new, 0.09b version of his StartOperaMini by adding the exclude list feature (and a LOT of other goodies – make sur eyou check out the dedicated XDA-Devs thread!), has found out a pretty easy-to-use fix for the above-mentioned Jbed 3.1 resume bug: if you have Direct Address Input disabled (it’s enabled by default), press #1 to open the Enter Address window. Then cancel out and the Opera Mini screen should be responsive again. (BTW, this might work with other dialogs requiring manual input – I don’t know, haven’t tested the latter.) Incidentally, he has also found out the problem is surely a Jbed-related issue because the Gmail MIDlet is also affected by it. Let me cite him: “One thing you may want to investigate is Jbed's background running option. If I run jbed, turn on background running, then launch opera mini, the problem seems to not occur with my limited testing. Since I prefer to directly launch opera mini, it would also be nice to have a way to enable background running by default.

If enabling background running really fixes the issue, then I guess it's a bug with jbed 3.1 restoring itself from its own suspend mode.

Tikky7

Tikky7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:BJII i617
Can you have multiple KVMs on one phone JBLEND + JBED, I have a Samsung Blackjack 2 with JBLEND pre-installed but would also like to try out JBED. Could you post the details in getting this installed?
Also at the moment when a jar file is clicked it is installed and associated with JBLEND directly. If I do get to install JBED as well, how will the association change and is it possible to mix and match MIDlets with KVMs? If these questions are irrelevant or stupid please advise.

Edited by Tikky7, 18 June 2008 - 02:55 PM.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Can you have multiple KVMs on one phone JBLEND + JBED, I have a Samsung Blackjack 2 with JBLEND pre-installed but would also like to try out JBED. Could you post the details in getting this installed?
Also at the moment when a jar file is clicked it is installed and associated with JBLEND directly. If I do get to install JBED as well, how will the association change and is it possible to mix and match MIDlets with KVMs? If these questions are irrelevant or stupid please advise.

you can. i think i've explained this somewhere in the Bible. The only problem is the need for re-assigning file extensions if you Want to deploy Millets by clicking them from Fite Explorer

However both apps allow for deploying MIDlets from inside them so they can perfectly co-exist

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
btw, Sorry for my spelling mistakes. I'm using a slate TabletPC to enter text and text recognitiondoesn'talways work

jaikben

jaikben

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Devices:mpx200
on my xda flame, I have great problems with java ( 3d games ) in vga resolution, which one is best to be used as almost all games are displayed ate one 1/4 of the screen

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

on my xda flame, I have great problems with java ( 3d games ) in vga resolution, which one is best to be used as almost all games are displayed ate one 1/4 of the screen

Look up the games in the game compatibility chart that fill up the entire VGA screen. There are quite a few of them.

LeiChat

LeiChat

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond (o2 MiniS->Ebay)
I tried to install the GMail application and it's just unusable on my Diamond.
Any advice please on how to uninstall / remove it completely? (Without hard resetting / flashing please)

Posted Image

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

I tried to install the GMail application and it's just unusable on my Diamond.
Any advice please on how to uninstall / remove it completely? (Without hard resetting / flashing please)

If you have Jbed, highlight it from Jbed and select Menu / Actions / Uninstall.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
Opera Mini + (W)VGA users, attention: a hacked, VGA-friendly Jbed version has been released!

(Technical note: as of 01/02/2009 2:57 AM CET, the images in the article and the mirrored download aren’t accessible. Hope they’ll become available in about 10 hours. That is, make sure you check back in 10-15 hours if you’d really want to see them. Sorry for the inconvenience - my database back-end has been having problems and the CS people have been away.)

As has been explained in THIS article (alternative HERE), the probably best MIDlet manager (the environment needed to run, among other things, the excellent, free Opera Mini Web browser), Jbed has never been the most optimal solution to run Opera Mini (or other text-intensive apps) on high-resolution (VGA or WVGA – that is, not QVGA!) devices, mostly because it only used pretty small characters even with Opera Mini’s using extra large ones.

Up until now, the only solution was going for alternative MIDlet managers if you wanted something better with considerably larger character sizes: either the vastly outdated and no longer supported IBM J9, TAO Intent (see the MIDlet bible for more info on them) or the somewhat better, but still handicapped (no full screen mode) hacked Jblend.

Fortunately, a helpful soul at XDA-Developers has hacked the latest and greatest 20080912.5.1 version of Jbed for VGA devices. Now, it sports considerably larger characters than the non-hacked version. Let me show you a direct comparison between the two.

First, the old version displaying a DPReview article and the main menu:

Posted Image

Then, the new version, showing the DPR article:

Posted Image

and the main menu:

Posted Image

See the difference? Huge, isn’t it?

You can download the new Jbed version HERE – get the Esmertec Jbed 20080912.5.1.zip (direct link HERE; requires free registration ; I’ve also mirrored it HERE).

Warning: No sound!

As opposed to the, in this regard, best Cloudyfa 20070802.2.1 (see THIS), it doesn’t support sound. That is, you might want to hack the two into separate directories, should you want to keep a Jbed version with sound for your games.

as1

as1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
I have tried my JSR82 apps on the Samsung OMNIA i900, it has a JVM with JSR82 support and work fine. Then I have tried on my HTC Doamind and it does not work but I have followed the next guide and I verified that the support is possible because the couple Mysaifu J2SE virtual machine + bluecove work fine.

Link: http://www.mayrhofer...p...4&pageid=80

I have copied the JVM from the Omnia to my HTC Diamond but it does not work because credential issues or something like that.

Regards

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

I have tried my JSR82 apps on the Samsung OMNIA i900, it has a JVM with JSR82 support and work fine. Then I have tried on my HTC Doamind and it does not work but I have followed the next guide and I verified that the support is possible because the couple Mysaifu J2SE virtual machine + bluecove work fine.

Link: http://www.mayrhofer...p...4&pageid=80

I have copied the JVM from the Omnia to my HTC Diamond but it does not work because credential issues or something like that.

Regards

You might want to repost your q to the Dev & Hacking forum ( http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=260 ) of XDA-Devs - probably someone is able to help there. After all, a lot of WinMo people are looking for a JVM with working JSR82.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
Major Java MIDlet manager update: now, parallel execution possible under Jbed etc; see: http://www.modaco.co...under-jbed-etc/

semmtexx

semmtexx

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Devices:HTC Eris
I have a quick question for you. I am using JBED version 20080610.2.1. I am trying to do two things but even after googling and trying suggestions I can't figure this out. How do I : 1: make a start menu shortcut for opera mini 5, and 2: make opera mini 5 my default browser? The default browser question may not be able to be answered her. Thanks for any help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users