Free Maporama Drive Me 7 day trial, and bargain downloadable purchase!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest emyllis

Have changed option re light being switched off.

Will report back tomorrow.

Now then Paul, I'll probably buy this - is there any chance of this becoming a plus benefit (i doubt it but figure I should ask you ;) )!

Cheers

Guest spenh01
I would agree there!

Does anyone know how to UNinstall it?

The reading of road numbers confused me a bit. "Turn right onto the B one thousand, two hundred and thirty five" sounds a bit strange.

ALso, I have as yet failed to make it keep the backlight and screen on!

I also failed to get it to play with GPSgate - everything else seems OK with that

i couldn't find anyway to uninstall it, i just deleted the files off my memory card. when i purchased the program off their website, there was a direct link to download the program which i did. i installed these and it was an old version not the 2008 version we are all trying out - so watch out if you plan to buy it!!!

the older version is even more basic than the 2008 version but does have a proper install routine, putting shortcuts in the program menu and also three entries in the remove programs menu so you can delete it properly, but i am guessing with the old version comes out of date maps. i'm going to give it a run out in the morning to see how upto date the maps are in this version. as i said in a previous post, the earlier version does have a full post code search which is lacking in the 2008 version so i can't understand why its not in the 2008 trial version

Guest Gorskar
This isn't Mobile XT!

I have a POI Loader, i'll have to ask them re: distribution tho.

Doh, there was me not reading the initial news post properly ;)

Thanks Paul - that would be useful!

As far as the UK map download goes - yesterday I downloaded the maps by just substituting uk.zip for united_kingdom.zip as the link points to.

Doh, there was me not reading the initial news post properly ;)

Thanks Paul - that would be useful!

As far as the UK map download goes - yesterday I downloaded the maps by just substituting uk.zip for united_kingdom.zip as the link points to.

Does anyone have a new link to the uk maps? i have downloaded the program and tried all day to get the maps to download, all i get is an error message stating page not available???

Having used this today, I have some general comments, nothing amazing or innovative, but just my experiences...

Pros

You can log the GPS info then examine it. I've done it once today and don't know how to analyse it but it looks a useful feature!

Great colour scheme with normal or night time colours

The little scroll bar lets you zoom in and out of the map quickly.

The voices are really clear

It gives some pretty cool routes involving little back routes which avoid traffic lights etc.

Cons

The instructions are a bit odd - they just say "turn left" but you need to turn left in 2 miles! It doesn't give a distance of the turning...

It says "keep on the road for 4 miles" or whatever, but if the distance is under 1 mile, it doesn't say anything, which is really annoying if you're trying to go through a rabbit warren and you don't know when to turn left or right.

It switches the screen off automatically after 2 mins. Tomtom doesn't do this.

It names your roads in an odd way - "turn onto the b 1 thousand six" or turn right on the b one thousand, three hundred nine". Useful but odd!

Every load up I have to go through a disclaimer about using this software....

Overall, its' good...

Could we buy this at a discount/get it as a mega plus deal?!

And does cameraware work alongside this?!

in addition emyllis comments: 1..I was disapointed with the POI..i was hoping that since the maps source was Navtec, Maporama could have included the telephone numbers, also there is no grouping for restuarants ie American retaurants, Inidian restaurant, Chinese restaurant. Tomtom and IGO seems have this problem aswell.. it seems Destinator and Garmin have implemented POI better than most.

2....You can't navigate to an address in your contacts.

as for the routing and maps ... I ill give this program 5 out of 5 stars.

as for voice notification/instructions 3 out of 5

Guest jim.mason
This isn't Mobile XT!

I have a POI Loader, i'll have to ask them re: distribution tho.

BTW, backlight stayed on on my device - have you set that option?

P

I had the same problem with the backlight going off, but it also turned the phone off and I noticed that the LED's had stopped flashing. Hit thepower button and it came back up with the map in the correct location so no idea whats going on there.

I resolved this by turning off the 'smart backlight' option in advanced settings (I think).

Its a shame about them supplying the old version after teasing us with the latest ;)

Guest Maporama

The version available for 39€ on shop.maporama.com is the previous one (2006 Edition)

The 2008 Edition will be soon available on shop.maporama.com.

sygic.jpg
Just a few days ago I posted about Garmin Mobile XT satellite navigation, and how it was coming in at a bargain price of £49. Forget that! ;)

Take a look at Maporama Drive Me - it has a 7 day downloadable trial for UK / Ireland, France or Benelux, and can be purchased online for the princely sum of, wait for it, 39 euros (£27 quid). Yes, 27 pounds for a full UK and Ireland sat nav solution (or France, Benelux, Italy, Central Europe etc. etc)!

So I know what you're thinking, it's going to be rubbish right? Well, actually, i've been running it for a couple of days, and in my (admittedly limited to date) testing it seems to be one of the slickest, most performance navigation applications i've ever used!

So the all important links. You can check out the Maporama site (rather limited), the 7 day trial link, the shop and I also recommend checking out the Sygic Drive page. Why? Because that appears to be the same application by a different name, and the Sygic page gives you a great overview of the application.

What are you waiting for? Get downloading and tell us what you think! :(

P

[Edit: Check out this post before buying!]

Guest spenh01
Thanks for clarifying that. As I said in my email however, the way the site is setup is VERY misleading, and does not make that clear at all!

P

well done paul, glad you got a response from them i am still waiting ;)

did they say how much the new version is going to be?

i wonder where that will leave the likes of me, who recently purchased the program after trying the 2008 download only to find the we've paid for is the old one!!!

Guest mwright

I thought I would throw in a few comments - forgive me if any of these have already been mentioned!

1) Strange reading of road numbers. I find that a bit difficult to follow sometimes.

2) No distance given on directions! This one is a real show stopper for me - I did not believe it when it first happened. I got the instruction "Turn left" at 1.6 miles, 0.6 miles, 300 yards and at the junction! If I had not looked at the display - I could have been anywhere by now!

3) Given the instruction "Drive for zero miles" when the route until the next instruction is les than one mile. In fact all those instructions have the distance rounded down ("Drive for six miles" when the distance is 6.9 miles)

4) Several quite obvious spelling mistakes in the display - most common one seems to be "lenght" for "length". OK - I admit that English might not be the developers first language but.....

5) The installer is quite bad - and there is no obvious way to uninstall it. Consensus seems to be to delete all the files but I don't know what it has done to the registry of course.

Edited by mwright

Guest spenh01

well paul i don't know what you said to guys over at maporama, but they have now changed their website so it clearly shows that the version you are buying for £27 is the old one - nice one!

at least that will stop anyone else getting fooled into thinking they are getting the 2008 version for a bargain price of £27.

as for their support, its as good as tom toms, they haven't even bothered to reply to my emails regarding a free upgrade or refund.

Guest Svjem77
I just did a manual activation no problem with 'TRIALJJLUMOPT'.

P

Hi, I have been reading this and CamerAware for a few days now and have both programs, sort of..

I activated Maporama manually with "TRIALJJLUMOSV" my only problem with both programs?

Locatio, Location, Location! Up here in Scotland I have four days left in my Maporama trial, I have not seen a clear, dry sky for the whole time and my new toy (a Vario III) is constantly waiting on a GPS signal... One Day!

Thanks for the site and the info,

Sv.

Guest spenh01
Hi, I have been reading this and CamerAware for a few days now and have both programs, sort of..

I activated Maporama manually with "TRIALJJLUMOSV" my only problem with both programs?

Locatio, Location, Location! Up here in Scotland I have four days left in my Maporama trial, I have not seen a clear, dry sky for the whole time and my new toy (a Vario III) is constantly waiting on a GPS signal... One Day!

Thanks for the site and the info,

Sv.

have you gone into setting's in maporama and checked that gps is turned on ??

Guest Svjem77
have you gone into setting's in maporama and checked that gps is turned on ??

Hi, yes the gps was on, just no sats on screen? Now it's working...? I done a hard reset and reinstalled everything, the only diff I can see is the gps hardware port is set to "None" i had moved it about a bit trying to get it to work and "none" was one of the settings I had used that had not worked..

Anywho a hard reset and new install did it.

Ah! But.. my trial went AWOL when I reset the vario, the code won't work any more :D (I half expected that)but!... Maporama is now letting me find sat signals (loads!) and I will be buying this software now I know that my gps is working. ;)

The phone is about three feet away from the window just now and GPS Status has FOUR sats in view!! 4!.. It's lying on the couch!

Last time I had it against the window - it had about eight!

and i thought it was broke!!

could not have reached this far without this forum! Thank you!

Sv.

P.S. Now i'm going to try CamerAware again.. stay tuned! :(

Edited by Svjem77

Guest spenh01
Hi, yes the gps was on, just no sats on screen? Now it's working...? I done a hard reset and reinstalled everything, the only diff I can see is the gps hardware port is set to "None" i had moved it about a bit trying to get it to work and "none" was one of the settings I had used that had not worked..

Anywho a hard reset and new install did it.

Ah! But.. my trial went AWOL when I reset the vario, the code won't work any more :D (I half expected that)but!... Maporama is now letting me find sat signals (loads!) and I will be buying this software now I know that my gps is working. ;)

The phone is about three feet away from the window just now and GPS Status has FOUR sats in view!! 4!.. It's lying on the couch!

Last time I had it against the window - it had about eight!

and i thought it was broke!!

could not have reached this far without this forum! Thank you!

Sv.

P.S. Now i'm going to try CamerAware again.. stay tuned! :(

if your buying - just remember the version your buying for £27 is the old version not the 2008 version you have been testing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.