Opera Mini 4

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I tried Opera Mini 4 Beta on my TyTN II (Esemertec JVM), and have got to say i'm mightily impressed! Looking forward to Opera Mobile 9, which includes all of the Mini rendering features + more!

To get it, visit www.operamini.com on your device, and make sure you get the Beta!

P

Guest Phil Lee

First impressions are great. I love the zooming. It is so usable. I just wish there was a way to get rid of the nag message each time it tries to access data.

Guest Freecall

sorry . but just installed beta and it is very fast .. but on my Kaiser the pages zoom does not work . The pages are all shown in one colum no zoom needed.. not in a page view. No difference if mobile view settings are on or off. Any suggestion how to get the page view ?

Guest tsutton

Works fine on my phone.

Click on the area that you want to see and it will zoom in.

Only one annoying thing is it kept asking me for permission to access the internet's popup.

Guest Freecall

I have a orginal HTC Tytn ... bu the pages are always shown in a zoom mode when I enter a new URL .. I do not see the full page view where to zoom in

Guest rebecker
I have a orginal HTC Tytn ... bu the pages are always shown in a zoom mode when I enter a new URL .. I do not see the full page view where to zoom in

I've also experienced the zoomed in page issue. However, in my case it's only some of the pages. Originally, this website, Modaco, appreared zoomed out and worked as expected. However, after logging in Modaco pages now only appear zoomed in and won't load anything beyond the header art. One or two other websites also appear only zoomed in. The vast majority DO work as expected. I tried clearing the history and reloading the odd pages, but they still appear zoomed in. There is no zoom out button in the lower right corner on these odd pages; only the 'back' button.

I really like this browser. I'm sure each later beta will work better.

BTW, anyone know when the beta expires?

-Bob-

Guest pjam001

I've also had the same problem with regard to logging into Modaco and only the top section being visible. Had to go back to version 3 which is still very good but lacks the full page view.

Its a shame because the text size issue with jbed java seems to have been fixed with this beta.

Oh well.

Guest rebecker
I've also had the same problem with regard to logging into Modaco and only the top section being visible. Had to go back to version 3 which is still very good but lacks the full page view.

Its a shame because the text size issue with jbed java seems to have been fixed with this beta.

Oh well.

I discovered that if I cleared the cookies 'most' sites work correctly, including Modaco. However, if I log in to Modaco, the old zoomed-in problem comes back ;) ! Still a couple sites that don't show up zoomed out, although 'some' of those work if I'm in vertical mode.

Still like Mini; still use it for fun browsing, but not as my default browser.

BTW, is there any way to make Mini your default browser? Also, is there any way to start the browser directly, instead of going through Java?

-Bob-

Guest pjam001

I'll try the cookie thing thanks.

To launch the Opera mini directly simply modify the .lnk file to include -run s2_ at the end. ( the s number refers to the applet so it could be s0 or s1 on yours. there is a space before the -run. this is using jbed java)

Guest pjam001

I can't see how you can beat Opera Mini. It loads pages so fast when compared to PIE. Even over my WIFI network, PIE seems to stutter.

Also with PIE, it's a struggle to scroll down the page prior to the page being fully loaded. With Opera mini this is fine.

Guest Phil Lee

I've installed the fix for the nag messages and also synced my bookmarks with PIE by importing them into Opera 9.5b on my desktop then syncing in Opera Mini. At the moment the only issue I have is with Modaco. The full version doesn't display properly. I don't see any of the forums, just the header. The lofi version works OK though. Apart from that, this is the best browser I've seen.

Edited by Phil Lee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fdrzrich

Just an update - the official Opera Mini 4 is now out! Still had to edit the files to add the shortcut and remove the connection warning but it looks good..... ;)

Guest rebecker
Just an update - the official Opera Mini 4 is now out! Still had to edit the files to add the shortcut and remove the connection warning but it looks good..... ;)

Is this Opera Mini 4 Beta 4?

Guest Phil Lee

I used the built in Synchronize Opera to load my favourites back in. Of course I did synch them with the beta version to my Opera account previously.