CoPilot 7 from ALK available this week

Guest PaulOBrien

When I got my CP6 with my Vario, the 'free' traffic subscription was for 18 months (same as the phone contract) - it's not 'ongoing'. You may be about to run out of the 'free' period too.

Mine doesn't run out till 12 December, but I've ported my CP6 licence to my new device and ditched the Vario. Everything should keep working till December and then I'll make final decision on CP7 upgrade or TT or hardware unit.

I got my Vario in November 2005 and the traffic news is still working for me with CP6. Most of the time, I find the warnings from my Trafficmaster Freeway box to be of more use than the ones from CoPilot.

I was thinking of upgrading. Then I saw that it costs £100 to upgrade to the European maps whether or not I had already bought them for CP6. Having to pay again for traffic news just tips the balance. £135 is a lot to pay for an upgrade.

Guest Record1

Paul, Does copilot lock out creating new destinations when movining? I like to be able to have my wife plan routes wihile I'm driving. I'm pretty sure tomtom locks you out.

BTW, I followed the kaiser on your sight for a year. Great work! I love my Tilt.

Guest doctormetal
I don't think either TomTom or CoPilot lock out in the way you suggest!

P

Tomtom does lock you out while driving. It is a setting which can be changed or disabled.

These settings include not being able to change anything while driving and disabling the screen while driving above a certain speed.

I don't know if copilot has such a feature, but I know other systems, like mio, do.

Guest Record1

Thanks, guys. my Mecury Mountaineer has a mandatory lockout. I have to pull off to the side to have my wife correct a route. the Tilt with GPS will make a flexible alternative. Soccer tournaments here we come!!

I was going to wait for OCN 8 (Igo In Europe?) to be released in the States, but it looks like this program now competes with any pda system out there.

Guest Syphon Filter

Yeah, I think i want to go from CP6 to CP7 too...It looks much better, also have experienced a few problems with postcodes when using CP6 which can be frustrating, as it will get you close enough to smell your destination but not quite there!!!

I am going to try and do the upgrade right now and see what happens...will report back shortly.

EDIT:

Ok,

I just completed an upgrade order for CP7 UK & Ireland only. Shipping is a bit steep if you ask me at over £6!! Ho-hum

I hope its as good as it looks!! CP6 looks very long in the tooth by comparison!! Can't wait to try it out.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
Upgrade News:

The upgrade is £49.99, and will include a 1GB card with UK & Ireland maps (plus the DVD etc I assume).

P

Paul,

I just got the upgrade that you mention above...does the DVD with the companion application come with maps for the rest of hte world on it which then just need activating by paying your money and bashing in an activation code?

Guest jackofall
Has anyone bought this yet?

Also, has anyone used the "Upgrade Now" option on the ALK website (specifically from the UK?).

I tried on the day of release and got the following error

ERROR: Cart could not be updated. Product Key is not valid for upgrades being purchased.

I then opened a support ticket and they came back to me on Friday for some more info which I provided. They must have fixed something although they have not updated the ticket as this morning I was able to successfully order. It may be worth trying again?

Guest Phil Lee

So far it everything is going OK. The only problem I'm having is with the Live part. It doesn't seem to want to connect. I've created an account online and entered in my details on my VIII but on the Connect screen I just see Status, Status and a tick box with no text next to it.

Guest Syphon Filter

Awesome, mine should arrive tomorrow.

EDIT:

I assume the "upgrade" package and the regular UK & Ireland package are identical, it's just that you ahve you enter your old key to get the discount right?

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

Awesome it's here!!

I tell you what, the packaging for the software only package is cool...nicely put together ALK!!

Just installed it and running it up...

I dont seem to be able to select a language or voice?! This render it useless right?

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest chucky.egg

LOL

Look at it as an incentive to learn German

I'm hoping to get a Touch in the next few days, so any feedback from Touch users would be interesting (to me at least)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.