Data only contract...using Three/T-Mobile USB Modem SIM?

Guest kmara

I wondered if it would be possible to use one of the SIMs from either a T-Mobile or Three USB modem , just to provide data only services for a Pocket PC?

They start a £10/month, and would have no restrictions about linking to a PC, as they usually are...

I had planned to get a Vario III, but it would cost me ~£42.50/month for web'n'walk Plus (needed to 'officially' use it as a modem for laptop), and I won't use the voice at all.

I plan to get a cheap Vario II on ebay (should be plenty coming up!) - and I can use it for browising/email/Nokia770 and linking to my notebook when I need to.

So, will this work, and if anyone has done it?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

There's an easier way, and i've done it myself!

Go into a 3 store, and get a 3 PAYG SIM FREE when you buy 10 quid credit.

Go online and activate the credit, and at the same time, buy flat rate data for 1 month for a fiver. Job done!

Flat rate data, fiver a month, works GREAT! Fast too!

P

Go online and activate the credit, and at the same time, buy flat rate data for 1 month for a fiver. Job done!

P

Paul, Do you know if you have to keep paying the 10quid every month along with the 5er for the data every month or can you get away with just paying the £5 each month for the data.

As I have a contract that's not due to run out till next year I don't really want to pay £15 a month just for data only but £5 I would pay.

I guess it would have to be the £10 for the sim every month and the £5 for data but I cant seem to find any clarification on that. Also I know that Skype is free too so its kinda a bonus.

Wish Three would have some windows mobile phones ! MMM Maybe next year they will then all the other networks will be worried!

No, you don't. Just fiver a month is fine.

P

OOOH ERR - Awesome !

WOW - Cheers for that info.

MMM - but then how does that work with the free Skype as that has a min top up fee of £10 so I guess if you want the skype then you will have to go and pay £10 witch is well odd as its all internet traffic any way. They must monitor that port or something.

Might get a sim to just play and have a look see.

Many thanks for the info Paul

Guest Paul (MVP)

The free skype (which needs a tenner topup) is a non issue if you get the flat rate data bundle, it's really for lesser handsets with 3's version of skype, which actually routes Skype calls over 3's network as normal calls IIRC.

Pretty awesome tho innit ;)

P

P

Fantastic, and as you say much cheaper and no contract commitment...my only question is I may wish to use it with a laptop - I assume this is a no-no in their T&Cs?

Do they track this type of use? and has anyone been found out ;)

Unknown, I plan to put mine into a HTC Shift ;)

P

any one know if the 3g/gprs pcmcia cards are network locked - been looking on ebay and there are a few on there but some say they have worked on other networks but not sure if they are all networked locked or just the Vodafone ones that are not.

Anyone know ? and if they are locked is it easy to unlock them ? as I think this would be a fab way to get out on the road with mobile broadband - much better than paying £5 an hour for a hotspot !

Guest Neil5459

Interesting, as you say, but one has to ask 'WHY' ?

If you've got a decent WM5 or 6 3G device, why add complication by adding another device- it is quite adequate for everything the iTouch or iPhone can do (apart from the 'fashion factor' ;)

In addition, there will be a need to turn the host device on to activate the WLAN link, as WLAN doesn't work with the device in standby.

And, the suggested O2MiniS to use as a host isn't 3G anyway, so no advantage for iPhone owners.

Guest shadamehr

P

Er, how do you actually do the bit I highlighted in bold Paul?

I'm on the Three website now (not logged in as an existing customer however), and can't find any reference to this.

All I can find is the WEEKLY PAYG Internet add on at £2.50 a WEEK.

Can you shed further light please mate?

Guest shadamehr

Cheers mate - must be an Signed in Customer only screen.

Only hope it's valid for new customers too, as like I say, not signed in, I can find details of the Weekly one, but not the monthly.

Also, is there any information on what "Internet Monthly" actually allows you?

Cheers and thanks Paul.

Guest bydandie
any one know if the 3g/gprs pcmcia cards are network locked - been looking on ebay and there are a few on there but some say they have worked on other networks but not sure if they are all networked locked or just the Vodafone ones that are not.

Anyone know ? and if they are locked is it easy to unlock them ? as I think this would be a fab way to get out on the road with mobile broadband - much better than paying £5 an hour for a hotspot !

I posted the following post over at 4WM. Bascially the latest VF Mobile connect software is Vista compatible with various unlocked VF data cards that are marked as being not-Vista compatible and are therefore sold at the £50 mark rather than £140. Check the business VF link provided over here and follow the instructions in the first link. Works like a dream! ;)

Edited by bydandie

Guest Paul (MVP)

I only joined week before last ;)

No, it just says 'Internet Monthly' I believe.

P

Cheers mate - must be an Signed in Customer only screen.

Only hope it's valid for new customers too, as like I say, not signed in, I can find details of the Weekly one, but not the monthly.

Also, is there any information on what "Internet Monthly" actually allows you?

Cheers and thanks Paul.

Interesting, as you say, but one has to ask 'WHY' ?

If you've got a decent WM5 or 6 3G device, why add complication by adding another device- it is quite adequate for everything the iTouch or iPhone can do (apart from the 'fashion factor' ;)

In addition, there will be a need to turn the host device on to activate the WLAN link, as WLAN doesn't work with the device in standby.

And, the suggested O2MiniS to use as a host isn't 3G anyway, so no advantage for iPhone owners.

I was thinking mainly for the screen resolution, I played with an iPhone a couple of weeks ago the browser was great, but over GPRS (didn't get an EDGE signal just next to Waterloo...it was pre-release date may have changed now...) was painful.

I have a Nokia 770, with a 800 x 480 screen - browsing is very nice, but there are very few WM5/6 devices with similar resolution (it does BT, so no need for all this WiFi...).

Agreed the proposed O2MiniS is not a sensible choice, I was thinking of a HTC TyTN or eq. (should soon be lots at reasonable price on eBay with the MDA III/TyTN II out...).

But mainly I just liked the idea of being my own personal hotspot!

Edited by kmara

Guest Neil5459

Does the iPod Touch have Bluetooth? If so, that would make a better pairing, as the host device could remain hidden away with BT active, and no need to turn it on to access the data connection. Of course that would mean slightly slower connections, but useful nonetheless!

• 1 month later...