spider

R u a +'r...b 1 !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:SPV, cell phones, electronic stuff
  • Devices:HP IPAQ 614C

Hi all,

I got a iPAQ 614c sice last week. After 1 week, I can tell you : this baby ROCKS ....

Screen : Sharp, clear, exellent playback with TCPMP

Sound : soft, speaker is located on the back

GSM : as good as it gets ; speakerphone rather quiet ; BT headset (Jabra BT500) amplifies VERY good ( on the edge of causing ear-damage)

GPS : first fix took some time, tested with VisualGPSce, Navio, TomTom 6 : rocksolid always 8-9 satelites in view and in use

Camera : sucks (see attachment) ; funny : the 'mirror' on the back for selfportraits is rather good

Smart Wheel : WOW, acts like a touchpad, without taking the place of it.

Keypad : needs real pressing, not for weak fly-overs

WM 6 : needs tweaking :D

Hope this helps,

Dirk

Hi Dirk..congrats with your new "toy" :(

Could you try the following (I think there might be a couple of bugs in the FW so I need to have a second opinion)

CALENDER: in month view: when using the wheel up down or left and right (or maybe scroll) does your unit scroll by the weeks or by the days. Mine scroll only by weeks, which seems not to be correct (if i compare to a smart phone standard)

CONTACTS: Select a contact with multiple numbers (don't select the contact, just stay in the contacts list view with the contact highlighted). to the left on the screen you will see the H or M or TXT (whatever is selected as default contact method) which has been selected. Now try to select a different contact method for that contact by dragging your finger to the left or right on the wheel (don't scroll). How does the phone behave? on mine the H or M or TXT just keeps scrolling and scrolling and there is no way to stop it unless i exit the screen. This must clearly be a bug. On the WinMo standard it works OK.

OK button: In the manual is says that the wheel can be disabled by pressing the OK button for a period of time. This does not work on my unit. How about yours?

I already tried to do both a hard reset and soft reset but it did not solve the above problems.

If you see that same problems, maybe we should contact HP and ask a bout any solution or similar (updates etc)

Private: latest models: SE P900 --> SPV C 550 --> HP Ipaq 614C

Work: latest models: Qtek 8310 --> HTC S710 --> HTC Hero

spider

spider

R u a +'r...b 1 !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:SPV, cell phones, electronic stuff
  • Devices:HP IPAQ 614C

But when you normally calling through ear (without handsfree or loudspeaker) it's OK or volume is low?

when calling "through ear" that sound can get pretty high if you turn up the volume to max. That is what I meant :D

Private: latest models: SE P900 --> SPV C 550 --> HP Ipaq 614C

Work: latest models: Qtek 8310 --> HTC S710 --> HTC Hero

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Devices:Blade+Tab+OT918D

But when you normally calling through ear (without handsfree or loudspeaker) it's OK or volume is low?

With volume at maximum, it's OK. There's really only one speaker in this phone, so if you call out of hand, you'll bound to muffle the sound somewhat with your hand.

Dirk

Alcatel OT918D Blaze (dual SIM)

Samsung Galaxy Tab (the original)

ZTE San Francisco Moldovan MHMP r6 + Solidchips Bootanimation

iPAQ
614c - WM 6.5_5.2.21501 AKU 5.0.70 WWE with minor tweaks (radio gone)

iPAQ hx4700 - WM 6.1_5.2.20764 AKU 1.1.1 WWE (layed to rest)

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi dirlan2001!
Could you take some photos outside, on the sun? :(
Have you tried Skype?

Hi,

I'd like to, you just send me some sun :D

I haven't tested Skype. From my experience on the hx4700, it's not what I expected it to be.

Cheers,

Dirk

iPAQ

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi Dirk..congrats with your new "toy" :D

Could you try the following (I think there might be a couple of bugs in the FW so I need to have a second opinion)

CALENDER: in month view: when using the wheel up down or left and right (or maybe scroll) does your unit scroll by the weeks or by the days. Mine scroll only by weeks, which seems not to be correct (if i compare to a smart phone standard)

CONTACTS: Select a contact with multiple numbers (don't select the contact, just stay in the contacts list view with the contact highlighted). to the left on the screen you will see the H or M or TXT (whatever is selected as default contact method) which has been selected. Now try to select a different contact method for that contact by dragging your finger to the left or right on the wheel (don't scroll). How does the phone behave? on mine the H or M or TXT just keeps scrolling and scrolling and there is no way to stop it unless i exit the screen. This must clearly be a bug. On the WinMo standard it works OK.

OK button: In the manual is says that the wheel can be disabled by pressing the OK button for a period of time. This does not work on my unit. How about yours?

I already tried to do both a hard reset and soft reset but it did not solve the above problems.

If you see that same problems, maybe we should contact HP and ask a bout any solution or similar (updates etc)

Hi,

I tested all your issues.

Calendar : as far as I can see it, the scrollwheel replaces the 2 little arrows on the topleft of your screen : these arrows let you go through your calendar week by week. The same goes for the 'year' or 'week' view. The scroll acts the same as the 2 arrows in the topleft corner.

Contacts : it took some training, but with a steady hand and slowly starting from '5' button left or right, let's me scroll through a contacts' numbers and e-mail adresses. But you really need a STEADY hand. It flips more one up or down the contactlist, then flipping through one contact's numbers... but, yeah it works. I guess it looks like you have faulty hardware there.

The OK button : if you mean the OK button on the keypad : it's not working. If you mean the first button (left side, topmost) : it works. Just keep that button pressed until a little 'lock' appears next to the Speaker/Phone/Battery icons.

Soft reset doesn't bring anything, unless you've been playing around in the registry. Hard reset can be done from the Start/Settings/System/Factory Recovery.....

Cheers,

Dirk

iPAQ

ConstSPB

ConstSPB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HTC Universal

I've Vito AudioNotes

Hi dirlan2001!

Did you try record telephone talks by it soft? Does interest - your speech is record only or interlocutor also?

willyboy666

willyboy666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there, i own a Asus p525 since 1,5 years and the device has a great power.
now i am ready for upgrade to a new device and i am lagging between asus p750 and the hp 614c.
i have couple of questions i hope you can answer me about:

1.does it have stereo speakers??
2.does it support micro sdhc??
3.speed of the camera?and video Resolution?

here a small review in a wiered language a found

PPC-DOC

alkandery75

alkandery75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Please keep it up.. I'm planning to get one, but I read some where else that it has some hangs and issues... So, please advice...

Thanks a lot in advance and Best regards,,,

tjuren

tjuren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Tytn II

Please keep it up.. I'm planning to get one, but I read some where else that it has some hangs and issues... So, please advice...

Hello,

Where did you read about the problems ?

Regards
// T

alkandery75

alkandery75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Hello,

Where did you read about the problems ?

Regards
// T

I read it in Expansys... He return the device and ask for refund as well...

Xenus

Xenus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi ppl, is this device microSDHC (4-32 Gb) capable, or not?

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi dirlan2001!

Did you try record telephone talks by it soft? Does interest - your speech is record only or interlocutor also?

Not yet, sorry .....

iPAQ

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

hi there, i own a Asus p525 since 1,5 years and the device has a great power.
now i am ready for upgrade to a new device and i am lagging between asus p750 and the hp 614c.
i have couple of questions i hope you can answer me about:

1.does it have stereo speakers??
2.does it support micro sdhc??
3.speed of the camera?and video Resolution?

here a small review in a wiered language a found

PPC-DOC

Hi,

This phone has NO stereospeakers. It supports stereo-headset over BT.
Its supports microSDHC. I've a 4 GB inserted now.
Camera is a toy. Shutterlag is HIGH. Quality ? See included pics .....

Attached Files

iPAQ

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi ppl, is this device microSDHC (4-32 Gb) capable, or not?

Yes, 4GB tested and running......

iPAQ

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Very strange indeed... I've this baby for two weeks now, and so far never ever had any problem with it. It's all day in my truck, running TomTom, WiFi and BT headset without problem. The only thing : the camera is SLOW to start, SLOOOOOOw to make a pic, quality is nowhere near a 3MP camera (it uses CMOS instead of CCD) ....

Cheers

Dirk

iPAQ

Xenus

Xenus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dirlan2001, please take a photo of A4 text list with maximum quality and resolution and post it here, i think much of us need camera in pda only for it.

dirlan2001

dirlan2001

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

dirlan2001, please take a photo of A4 text list with maximum quality and resolution and post it here, i think much of us need camera in pda only for it.

Here you go :D

Cheers,

Dirk

Attached Files

iPAQ

Xenus

Xenus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I think it will be better...
This photos are awfull...
Thx much.

christosr

christosr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:D600
Hi all!
I have been searching the net for a few weeks now about this phone.
This will be my first attempt to go into the PDA/SmartPhone world, and I must say I am little bit confused.
Right now, I am seriously considering the HP IPAQ 614c.
I am a "keyboard person" so I wouldn't go with a touch only phone (i.e. iPhone, HTC Touch etc).
The 614c specs look awesome, but the only thing that is not clear to me is the issue with the GPS.
How does this work on the 614c? Does it need some kind of third-party software to give you point-to-point directions, like a GPS navigation device? Does it have a GPS receiver built-in? Like the SIRFStar III ?
Could someone please explain the difference between the GPS and the A-GPS in regard to this specific phone?
In other words, can this phone work as a GPS navigation device out-of-the-box, without relying on being connected on a WiFi network?
Let's say you travel to a country in Europe, you don't have access to WiFi; how GPS will function on 614c?

I would appreciate any help, especially from peope who already have this phone.

Thank you so much.

Christos R.

Edited by christosr, 09 March 2008 - 08:24 AM.

Joost39

Joost39

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Smartphones, PDAs, GPS, Android, iPhone
  • Devices:Acer Liquid E2 Duo
Assisted GPS
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GPS is a satellite based positioning system. Assisted GPS, or A-GPS was introduced to enhance performance. The development of A-GPS was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's E911 mandate requiring the position of a cell phone to be available to emergency call dispatchers. [1]

Conventional GPS then had difficulty providing reliable positions in poor signal conditions. For example when surrounded by tall buildings (as a result of multipath), or when the satellite signals are weakened by being indoors or under trees. Some newer receivers are far better.

In addition, when first turned on in these conditions, some non-A-GPS units may not be able to download the almanac and ephemeris information from the GPS satellites, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to one minute.

An A-GPS receiver can address these problems in several ways, using an Assistance Server:

The Assistance Server can locate the phone roughly by what cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.
The Assistance Server has a good satellite signal, and lots of computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.
It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.
It can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)
Some A-GPS solutions require an active connection to a cell phone (or other data) network to function, in others [2] [3] it simply makes positioning faster and more accurate, but is not required.

As an additional benefit, it can reduce both the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS Phone by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server. (This is not a large amount for a basic GPS - many early GPSs ran on 386/16 or similar hardware).

It doesent work as good as SiRf Star lll, at least not for me.

There comes no navigationsoftware with it but one can use Googlemaps and so on or buy Tomtom, Garmin iGO.

My history of nice "tools": LG Optimus 2X
Samsung i900 Omnia *Nokia E66 *iPhone 3G 8GB *HTC Touch Diamond *HTC P3470 *ASUS P750 *HTC Touch Cruise *HP iPAQ 614C *HTC Touch Dual *Apple iPhone 8GB *MOTO Z8 *HTC TyTN 2 *TomTom Go 720 TMC *HTC TOUCH *Garmin nüvi 660FM *Mio C520T *HTC Advantage X7500 *Garmin Nüvi 670FM *Tomtom ONE II/TT6 EU *MIO P550/Miomap 3.2 *MIOC710/iGO *LOOXN100/MN6 *Transonic6000T/MN5.2 *TTGO910/TT6 *Medion515T/GoPal *SEP990i/NAV4ALL *SEM600i/NAV4ALL *MIOA701/TT5 *TTONE/TT5 *MIO269+/MN5 *MIO168/MIOMAP *Qtek8310/TTM5 *Qteks100/TT5 *Qtek2020i/TT5 *Qtek8020/TTM5 *HP6340/X-road * Qtek8080/TTM4 *SPVC500/TTM4 *SPV200/TTM4 *SPV100/TTM4 *HP2210/TT3 *Ipaq5550/TT3 *Ipaq3970/TT2 *Ipaq3950/TT2*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users