How good is the Kaiser?

Guest Transform

Guest Transform

I have had an interest in Touchscreen smartphones for a while but never got one because of the size as they are way bigger than my C500. But after looking at a few, I can't decide whether or not to get one, specifically the Kaiser. What do you guys that own one think?

Guest hotphil

I was in a similar position before I got my Wizard. I went from 'standard' Nokias to the original SPV, then the MPx200 then the C550. I thought long and hard about the switch from a 'phone' to a 'pda' type device.... I'm very glad I did. I've not looked back. I found it difficult now to use a non-touchscreen device as it's become so intuitive. And with the Kaiser, you retain the benefit of an actual keypad to type messages on (and being full QWERTY it's miles better than a traditional phone).

My advice would be to get yourself one, but make sure you do it with a provider that does a 14-day no quibble money back thing (like T-Mobile?) and see how it goes. You can't lose.

Guest Subliminal Aura

Think the answer to your question resides with you and what you're used to.

If you're comfortable with the keypad you'll definately be frustrated with the touchscreen.

Personally I have been using windows CE/ppc touchscreen PDAs for coming up to 7 years and should be fairly comfortable using these devices ?

Except when I bought the kaiser !

The 2.8" screen transition from a 3.5" has proven to be a little tricky for me as there seems to be hell of a lot that I could do previously with ease that has now become a little more difficult (eg navigating around without the stylus/typing without the stylus etc).

I would seriously recommend you take a look at the htc touch and its touch flo interface. Although the touch is not as well equipped as the kaiser it should prove an easier transition for you. Alternatively get the kaiser and install something like 'touch commander'

SA

Guest jimbouk

Moving from smartphone to ppc is a culture shock. You occasionally read about users going back within two days to smartphones.

BUT if you 1) can handle the size and 2) give it a week to really get used to the new device, then you will never go back (unless you also keep your old smartphone to pop your sim in when you are going out in the evening).

Guest dolbe666
Think the answer to your question resides with you and what you're used to.

If you're comfortable with the keypad you'll definately be frustrated with the touchscreen.

Personally I have been using windows CE/ppc touchscreen PDAs for coming up to 7 years and should be fairly comfortable using these devices ?

Except when I bought the kaiser !

The 2.8" screen transition from a 3.5" has proven to be a little tricky for me as there seems to be hell of a lot that I could do previously with ease that has now become a little more difficult (eg navigating around without the stylus/typing without the stylus etc).

I would seriously recommend you take a look at the htc touch and its touch flo interface. Although the touch is not as well equipped as the kaiser it should prove an easier transition for you. Alternatively get the kaiser and install something like 'touch commander'

SA

I find the screen just right, ive got a qtek 9000 and love it for what it is but its whay to big with its 3.6" screen. as for the kaiser its adaptible depending on what you install you can make it very finger friendly.

Guest Subliminal Aura
as for the kaiser its adaptible depending on what you install you can make it very finger friendly.

Yeh of course but out of the box its not. I'm currently going through the pain of trying 'finger friendly software'... Getting to the task manger in the top right hand corner with your finger is a real pain in the ....

Wheres the list of must have software on this forum :|

Guest Transform

my idea was to have the kaiser for the day and if i ever go out at night for a few drinks... take my c500 with me instead.

thanks for all the comments. i did go into the orange shop the other day to get a feel for the size and weight of the device, however it just does so much which is what draws me to it.

whats it like trying to text on the touchscreen?

is there an available download which allows for finger sized buttons that my finger can touch? can i also text using the full keyboard?

what is it like trying to get used to this after always using a standard phone keypad?

is the stylus needed almost all the time?

my other problem is that i dont really and to get a phone on contract but after looking on ebay, found that it is around £300-£400?!!

Guest nevawlkalone

I have been playing woth phoneless touch screen stuff for a while but this was the first with a phone. It was hard to adjust at first. thinkin OMG what a waste of money but a few weeks on i love it...one handed typing is a bit of an issue but i can live with it, downloaded touchpal which isnt a bad olittle app for an on screen number keypad but i would still prefer some thing a little more. But iu love it and once i get the STINKING GPS SORTED i will be a happy little bunny!

- Built in touchscreen keyboards suk, download touchpal free

- Touchpal lol (IMHO)

- Took me about a week(ish)

- Have hardly ever used the stylus my thumb does the job fine.

Guest jimbouk

As poster above says, there are some on screen keyboard apps that make it "easier" but actually the qwerty is so useful that it is more likely that you can use both hands to send a text/email via the kayboard so much quicker than one handed attempts, that you just adapt your usage.

As you say, the device does everything - so its worth the culture shock for smartphone users.

i went from normal phones to a c500 > imate JAMin > Kaiser

the kaiser is the first one i've had which feels "quick", the JAMin was fine, it just took a little bit longer for things to open.

The kaiser pretty much ticks all the feature boxes i can think of but it comes at a price. The phone is a brick!! it is very heavy, not so bad for me coming from JAmin, but that is what you will notice the most.

Also, the kaiser battery is dire, it only lasts a couple of days, it might get better once i've got past the "new phone" stage where i'm playing with it all the time. ;)

all in all though, i do like the phone for the features and if you make regular use of pda features, tomtom, or other handy stuff then it's fine.

Guest Transform

ok so that battery sucks. what inpact does this have when using say gps to drive a few hours in the car? does it drain it down? i know i can just use a car charger but i just wanted an idea on how the battery performs.

after hearing responses regarding texting etc, it sounds ok and something i could get used to. however, how much did you guys pay for these and where from?

Guest hotphil

If you're going to use it as a satnav, I wouldn't have thought you'd get more than an hour out of it without a car charger.

You can get the Kaiser from expansys and I think they're about the standard retail price there.

I'd agree with Muzza that the phone is heavy, but to me it's actually quite reassuringly so. When you hold it, it feels to me like a solid, quality product. I guess for some people, weight is more important. I'm not that fussed about a few extra grams in my pocket.

Edited by hotphil

Guest jimbouk

I have never tried a long journey without plugging the device in to a charger in the car, but I would guess that it would give you about three hours from a full charge with sat nav on.

Most users get their's from the networks heavily subsidised (ie free).

Guest nevawlkalone

My battery is lasting two to three days at a push now i have passed the new fone stage (as said above lol) this is just using the text messagin and the web...not used much in the way of GPS but charger in me car anyways from C600 that had tom tom so charge on long journeys.

Mine came from T-Mob for 79.99 if i remember correctly. Flext 35 plus web n walk. Love it

Guest Transform

i like the idea of the unlimited internet usage and had a look at the price plans. i dont make too many calls but the cheapest price plan looks ok(ish).

the phone is £170 and the montly price, £22. Getting £34 to spend on calls and texts seems ok. do you think its worth it?

also, does the left over money rollover into the next month?

Guest chonkey

I had a damm good fiddle with mine (ooo-er) last night (I'd left my laptop upstairs and couldn't be bothered to fetch it)

Surprised by the speed of the hpdsa connection, very good at web browsing, shame about the screen resolution.

only complaint I really have so far is its not as comfortable to hold as my m600 due to the connector block on the bottom and the buttons don't feel as solid as they do on the m600.

Waaay faster though.

Guest Transform

ok fair enough. i guess i will have to make sure i spend it. i'm guessing everyone else is on t-mobile 18 month contracts, or is there a better deal out there?

also, on the t-mobile website it said that there is no voice dialing?

is it possible to have a trial period as i am reluctant to just jump straight in the deep end!

You might be able to get a good upgrade deal... I was with Vodafone, threatened to switch to O2 to get the Sony Ericsson P1i (which for some reason they heard as "Apple Iphone", I even got a letter from them explaining how rubbish the Iphone was), and they offered me the Kaiser free on an 18mth extension of my £20pm contract. I hate 18mth obligations so I eventually persuaded them to do it on a 12mth contract for £50 up front. Still quite a bit cheaper than the P1i from O2 would have been (£89 on a £35pm contract).

This was for one of their branded "V1615"'s of course, but mine is now CID unlocked and running unbranded HTC firmware, thanks to the good people of XDA Developers.

Guest jimbouk
ok fair enough. i guess i will have to make sure i spend it. i'm guessing everyone else is on t-mobile 18 month contracts, or is there a better deal out there?

also, on the t-mobile website it said that there is no voice dialing?

is it possible to have a trial period as i am reluctant to just jump straight in the deep end!

If you are a new customer then you will usually have a 7 or 14 day period to get used to the contract and device.

Guest hotphil

T-Mobile I believe do 14 day no questions guarantee thingy.

I would be very surprised if T-Mobile have removed voice-dialling from the Vario III ROM. It's more than likely an error on the website.

Guest Transform
You might be able to get a good upgrade deal... I was with Vodafone, threatened to switch to O2 to get the Sony Ericsson P1i (which for some reason they heard as "Apple Iphone", I even got a letter from them explaining how rubbish the Iphone was), and they offered me the Kaiser free on an 18mth extension of my £20pm contract. I hate 18mth obligations so I eventually persuaded them to do it on a 12mth contract for £50 up front. Still quite a bit cheaper than the P1i from O2 would have been (£89 on a £35pm contract).

This was for one of their branded "V1615"'s of course, but mine is now CID unlocked and running unbranded HTC firmware, thanks to the good people of XDA Developers.

unfortunately im on o2 pay & go and the cheapest i found it on the t-mobile website was:

£540 on flext 25 + web'n'walk 12 month contract

£440 on flext 20 + web'n'walk 18 month contract

(based on month contract + phone cost)

i couldnt find the device on the vodafone website though ;)

Nope.

Let me have a word! If you are the busy body type go for the Kaiser, it is without a doubt the best PPC around.If otherwise you are the stylish type, then take Paris Hilton of mobile i.e The Iphone.It is the most beautiful and vivacious phone in the world.I have the unlocked version and to be frank, from the day i bought it i have packed my Kaiser. It just cannot compare with any phone ;)