Route 66 Mobile 7 & WM6

Guest mstephenson

Guest mstephenson

My mate has scuppered my chances of getting his old TomTom 5 software & gps so i'm now on the look-out for something else. I see some people seem to have had problems running Route 66 Mobile 7 unless they delete most/all of their texts, but I can live with that if it actually works properly considering the (cheap) price. The reason I ask is I noticed another thread where someone had bought Mobile 7 for their S710 and it just did not work at all-he was advised by another member to have a look for a cracked version. So, can anyone confirm or deny a paid for Version of Route 66 will work on my S710 straight out of the box? Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by mstephenson

• 2 months later...
Guest mstephenson
Did you ever get any feedback? (I thought Route66 Mobile 7 was for Symbian phones)

Route 66 is for Symbian & Windows Smartphones (different versions though obviously :))

I went out and bought it in the end. First attempt at an install failed and destroyed my memory card (apparently I was meant to do a manual install although this info is tucked away on p47 of the manual; logic kinda dictates you go for the auto install but apparently not). Got in touch with Route 66, they said there was no way that their software was responsible and advised me to try again.

I stupidly tried out a new 4GB card and the exact same thing happened again, brand new memory card totally useless. Spoke to Route 66 who advised.....try another card. So their technical support stretches as far as just advising you to keep trying new cards (at an ongoing expense to yourself, with no certainty it would ever work at all).

I decided there was no way I was going to risk another £30 (having spent £40 odd on cards, and £45 for the software itself) so I flogged it on e-bay. Currently thinking about getting Copilot which i've been told by people on here is a far superior product. Quite a bit more expensive but it seems you get what you pay for!

Guest Morelli

Thanks for the reply. I'll rule out Route66 then.

I currently have an old version of TomTom Mobile 5.2 and was looking to get something a little more up to date but seem to recall reading somewhere that certain Sat Nav software will not run on the E650 because of the 'slow' processor.

Do you know if CoPilot will run on the E650?

Guest Ralphyee
Thanks for the reply. I'll rule out Route66 then.

I currently have an old version of TomTom Mobile 5.2 and was looking to get something a little more up to date but seem to recall reading somewhere that certain Sat Nav software will not run on the E650 because of the 'slow' processor.

Do you know if CoPilot will run on the E650?

I run Navigate 7 (designed for PPC) from Route 66 on the Orange E650 and it works a treat! I've just downloaded build 3489 from www.66.com but the slide out keyboard no longer seems to function with Route 66. Build 3222 worked fine. (N7_PPC_NC_Update_7.0.3222.exe)

Guest Morelli

I have now tried the 3489 build and whilst it works it is very slow and temperamental (freezes in search mode) which on occasions leaves a reboot the only option to close it. That said I like the menu and graphics above TomTom Mobile. I will check to see how well, or otherwise, it works with the Italian map.

Guest Griff_FFOC

I already had R66 running on my C600, and while it worked ok, it had it's issues now and again.

I bought an E650 and passed the C600 and the satnav to my g/f, and so asked R66 about this running on the E650 before I bought another copy and got this reply:

Dear Sir,

Please note that Route 66 Mobile 7 WMS has not been tested on Windows Mobile 6 yet and it is possible that errors might occur when installing / running the software.

Unfortunately I cannot indicate when the next Mobile WMS version will be released as this information is not available for the moment.

There have been customers who confirmed that Mobile 7 WMS worked with WM6, but there is no guarantee that it will work as well on your HTC S710.

You could try installing the software you already own (without activating it) to see if it works. It should not freeze or quit after launch.

Edited by Griff_FFOC

• 5 months later...
Guest Garfy

I got Route 66 to work on my SPV E650 and I found it very good.

I did have to revert to installinging it onto a memory card from my laptop (Reason being I couldn't get Vista and the software to run)

However using XP I installed the software onto a memory card (Beware it will need to format that Memory Card first!)

Put it in my E650 and first time it didn't work (Not enough memory)

I then deleted all the stored text's! And it worked fine!

I have used tomtom and and route66. And TOMTOM is better. But given the price of Route66 and the free traffic alerts I have been very impressed with it.

I would recommend Route66 to any SPV E650 user.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Morelli

I have both TomTom and Route66 installed. It’s a personal preference but I prefer the layout/options offered by Route66 yet the maps – certainly for Italy if you get off the main thoroughfares – are far more detailed on TomTom. Don’t go truffle hunting in Le March without TomTom ;-). I am off to Portugal and will see which offers the best options - for me anyway.

Guest mstephenson

Just an update on this. I tried Route 66 and had serious problems with it which I mentioned in another thread (the installation insisted on formatting the memory card-when I did this it made the card unreadable). Contacted Route 66 who denied all knowledge of the problem and assured me it was impossible for it to have anything to do with their software.

Interestingly I was just searching for info on Route 66 Mobile 8 and in one of the reviews they mentioned the formatting memory card problem I had on the old version. In the review was a quote from a Route 66 employee who said this problem had been solved in the new version. This being the same problem which when I contacted them about they assured me '110%' it was physcially impossible for their software to damage a memory card. I knew I wouldn't be the only person who had that problem but no, Route 66 assured me they'd never had a single similar issue (this was only about 6 months ago so the software had been out for some time).

Never again am I buying Route 66 software, it's already cost me far too much and I never even got it working! Think i'll just get Copilot Live instead-bit more expensive but I guess you get what you pay for in the end. Thanks for all the replies guys :D