Which OS are you going to run on yours?

Guest PaulOBrien

Just installed again uisng an external keyboard and still get the same.

It comes up with

'The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct,then ype your password again.letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

which they are.

:(

Guest leonxki

Oooooooh. Pick me, pick me!

Right. This is what made me uninstall WinFLP. I also somehow didn't see that this post had been updated recently. I had this problem about three weeks ago.

When you logon, even with and administrator account, whether your password is wrong or not, infact try leaving it blank, sometimes, when you don't need it to, the machine always posts that it will not be able to log you on the domain because its not available or somesuch ridiculousness.

I came across this as I was about to present my work to my C++ group. Right there, all eyes on me, and of course on the crazy lil eeepc. No show. Word round the campfire is that they were not impressed with the eeepc cos it wouldnt logon. So I sat there, retraced my steps as to why this happened.

I then realised that I had logged onto my desktop, plugged my eeepc into the second nic on my desktop and with some network sharing, transfered my files across. I then logged off the eee pc, disconnected the ethernet cable and set off to uni. The authenticated session was somehow still alive, or set to alive on the eeepc. After googling around using the FILTHY lab machines we have, I was shaking my head in denial to what I was seeing.

Apparently this action of unplugging while authenticated causes FLP to be stuck in a domain of some sort. I therefore proceeded to randomly plug my eee pc to a uni terminal and VOILA! I could logon. Of course you can always press F8 and log in as any user under safemode, and then try and kill any domains or network connections. But yea, plug into any ethernet and somehow the NIC recognises that there no such domain and you can logon.

I am sorry I do not know the facts the specifics and what is actually happening inside, but I sorta understood it as a phenomenon rather knowing what files are being written or what networking is being changed. It was strange that it just suddenly worked after deleting any network associations, renaming workgroups and plugging and unplugging my eee pc onto a random network.

Excuse the epic post.

Leon.

*EDIT* The problem seems to disappear with XP Professional. This includes nlited versions.

Edited by leonxki

I voted something else. This something else could be Gentoo Linux or Vista although most likely Vista. I have already purchased and waiting for my Eee PC and prepared the Vista OS install. Which at the moment is a 535mb ISO file. I just wonder how big it will expand to once installed. Just cant be bothered to install and demo try on vmware. :(

I know most of you guys will say, why bother with vista, its all bloated.. etc etc. Well for you it maybe, but i know what i am doing and too be honest i can make it run just like XP. theres only few minor difference that i do hate about vista. One of which is that whenever you try to copy or move files and folders, it always calulates before doing so. Another is the slow boot time. :D But one of the things that i do like about vista is that when you do updates, it downloads and installs most of your device drivers.

Beware the nasty drive-consuming WinSxS directory :(

P

Anyone tried Win2K? Been forced into using a Win2K desktop lately and I have to say it is pretty fab. Runs everything I need to do and is much lighter and more agile than XP.

Beware the nasty drive-consuming WinSxS directory :(

P

I will hopefully have the 8GB Eee PC - soon, so it shouldnt be that bad. But your right, only if there was away to get rid of it for good. Well when i have it ive set it up i will let you guys know how it goes.