50 replies to this topic

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN

I'm going to give this a go since I don't have a USB CD. I'm currently copying a Windows installation CD to a USB stick. Once I've done this and hopefully gone through the installation process, how do I get the device drivers from the ASUS DVD?

Bugger, I get the error code 18 with my USB stick.

There is a slightly easier way to do this. First make the usb key bootable then copy the i386 folder and all its contents from the WindowsXP CD to the usb key. Boot the Eee from the USB key and when you get to the dos prompt type cd i386 so it looks like this E:\I386 replacing E with the drive letter of your usb. Next type winnt.exe hit enter xp should then start to install.

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S, iPad 3
  • Twitter:@philrlee
Thanks for the suggestion but I've gone back to Xandros after installing XP from a USB CD and finding it very slow to strart up (no real surprise there). Now I need to find some way to use my VIII to access the net.

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN

Thanks for the suggestion but I've gone back to Xandros after installing XP from a USB CD and finding it very slow to strart up (no real surprise there). Now I need to find some way to use my VIII to access the net.

Slow to start up? Really? Mine runs like it's on speed!

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
I took the easy option and installed the full version of XP Home SP2 then patched it with the latest updates. I installed the free edition of AVG antivirus and stuck with the Windows firewall. Startup time was around 2 minutes from pressing the power button to having a live wifi connection. With Xandros I can have a live wifi connection in 30 seconds.

I'd be interested to know how you installed XP. Also have you upgraded the EEE at all? If I can get XP booting in less than a minute I might consider going back. Of course if I can connect to the net using my Vario III under Xandros then there is no way I'd install XP.

Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
I've now used nLite to strip down XP a lot. I also slipstreamed in a package of Windows updates and Firefox, Skype and AVG Free Edition. I had some issues with the sound card not being detected. I had to manually update the device drivers in Device Manager. I was also unable to restore my backed up XP activation files so had to activate XP again to use Windows Update. I ran Windows Update and only included the bare essential updates. I missed out IE7 and all versions of .Net for example.

Having done all this I can safely say that XP is a lot faster to start up and is a lot smaller. My Windows folder was 447Mb prior to running Windows Update and is now 540Mb. The system now takes 53 seconds to boot to desktop with a live wifi connection. I'm a happy camper now and will definitely be sticking with XP.

On investigation it appears I've stripped out some of the components used by the Windows firewall. I've just installed PC Tools Firewall Plus which appears to be a lightweight firewall. Startup time is now 63 seconds.

Edited by Phil Lee, 04 December 2007 - 02:49 PM.

leonxki

leonxki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Devices:Atom Life

There is a slightly easier way to do this. First make the usb key bootable then copy the i386 folder and all its contents from the WindowsXP CD to the usb key. Boot the Eee from the USB key and when you get to the dos prompt type cd i386 so it looks like this E:\I386 replacing E with the drive letter of your usb. Next type winnt.exe hit enter xp should then start to install.

That errors too. With a Winnt.exe is a 16 bit application error. I remember cheering when I found this a suggested solution, but my celebrations cut short on error.

The was I installed my xp was rather simple. I plugged in an external HDD, dragged and dropped my nlited iso onto the external USB HDD, loaded up Daemon Tools, pointed to this .iso and started the instal.
Installation files are then copied to the SSD but obviously will be messy if you leave your current Windows folder on SSD. So in nlite, I made sure I renamed the install location to C:\INSTAL so as to simply delete the huge Winndows folder post install. Also redirected my Program 'Flies' :( to my SDHC. This ended up with a superfast slipstreamed nlited win XP. Works a charm.

Leon.

Orange SPV -> Orange e100 ->SPV c500 -> c550 -> c600 -> e650 -> Atom Life

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Anyone managed to run XP from a SD yet?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

emyllis

emyllis

Silly Me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500, Hermes
and how long does the process take?
Hours or minutes or days?!

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Installing XP or copying the CD to a USB stick?

I still exist

emyllis

emyllis

Silly Me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500, Hermes
Now I'm stuck! I can't find how to get the USB detect on boot up... Can someone clarify what I need to do?! Hope it's not a really silly qn!

But what buttons do I press?

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Er i think its press Esc or F2 on the EEE screen...can't remember off the top of my head! Think its in the manual :(

I still exist

J273

J273

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Phones / computers / Cars
  • Devices:WHITE IPHONE 3GS
  • Twitter:@J273
I had soooo much trouble trying to install Xp with a USB stick.....i gave up in the end and bought an external CD-rom drive,so much easier.

Edit: Ive got 2 if anyone wants one..... £18

Sorry i know im not allowed to advertise on here..if its not ok ill remove it.

Posted Image

:( :D :D

Edited by J273, 11 December 2007 - 08:04 PM.

Flickr
Iphone / Asus p750 / Samsung I780

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
I want one!

I'll PM...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

J273

J273

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

I want one!

I'll PM...

P

Replied to your PM paul......not sure you got it though ass i was replying from my phone which crapped out on me.

I have just put it on ebay....but if you want it let me know.

Its only a cd rom drive ...but works perfectly powering from a singe USB port...no external power needed.

Say £16.inc

Cheers

Flickr

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
I'll take it!

Also replying to your PM :(

P

Posted Image

fantom4

fantom4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I think this is due to the fact xp does not do usb like what is needed.
ie yes you can boot from sd card or flash drive as bios treats it like a hd but then the os kicks in and see's a usb device. and can no longer find the install device.

i do like you can reinstall xandros from sd and its fast too. so need for cd rom there if you have pc with dvd drive.

webcomconsulting

webcomconsulting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

I'm going to give this a go since I don't have a USB CD. I'm currently copying a Windows installation CD to a USB stick. Once I've done this and hopefully gone through the installation process, how do I get the device drivers from the ASUS DVD?

Bugger, I get the error code 18 with my USB stick.

Im sorry, but I cant help but smile and ......

PSST GUYS>>>LOOK HERE ON ASUS'S SITE

http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Edited by webcomconsulting, 25 December 2007 - 04:16 AM.

Sparky77

Sparky77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario III

I've nlited a version of xp installs fine on my main pc but when i try and install it via a USB stick on the eee

it starts to boot then comes up with:

'File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 18
Setup cannot continue.Press any key to exit.'

As anyone any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Snap did you get it sorted

J273

J273

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Snap did you get it sorted

No ,ended up buying an external drive in the end.

Flickr

luketmk

luketmk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:XPS200
I tried to use my iPod nano as a USB flash drive for this guide, things didn't really work out. Even after I have set external drive as 1st under Bios setup, the system just booted to the xandros desktop everytime. Did anyone else try using an ipod?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users