Hands on with the Ted Baker Needle

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's not often the postman brings me a lilac coloured Pocket PC ;) It's not often I get excited about the arrival of a lilac coloured Pocket PC either, but in the case of the new HTC / Ted Baker Needle, the excitement was more around the unknown than any hot new features or specs.

So here it is... and it has some surprises in store!

The Ted Baker Needle is a HTC Touch variant - exclusive to Carphone Warehouse in the UK - and is a result of HTC / CPW's partnership with Ted Baker, a UK clothing brand.

Over and above the standard HTC Touch specs (200MHZ TI OMAP, 2 MP camera, TouchFlo etc. etc.), the Needle brings:

• Customised branded startup and home screens
  • A different keypad design (which matches that of the 'O2 XDA Nova' in Germany)
  • An actually-not-too-bad-in-the-flesh lilac colouring
  • Ted Baker external branding
  • 256 MB ROM / 128MB RAM
  • An updated ROM build featuring HTC's new 12 / 20 key software keypads

Yep, you heard right, the Needle specs match the recently announce 'HTC Touch Enhanced' device, and boy, is the difference noticeable. I would have to say the tiny amount of available memory on the original Touch was my biggest complaint, and is of course no longer an issue on the Needle. A great device just got even better.

My better half is going to put the device through it's paces over the next week or so, so watch back for further updates. I'm particularly interested to see how she gets on with the new software keypads!

The Needle is available NOW (as mentioned above, exclusively from CarphoneWarehouse in the UK) FREE on most contracts (cheap on the rest), or for £300 SIM free instore.

I kinda like it (aside from the rather hideous background image), what do you guys and gals think? :(

P

needle1.jpgneedle3.jpg

needle2.jpg

Guest Alsicole

OK I'll be first up with the girly vacuous response.... yes I want one.

I wasn't so interested before you mentioned the bump in memory spec, but now I'm definitely interested, plus purple is my favourite colour. Not sure about the £300 SIM free price tag though. I suppose it's not bad considering the regular specced version is £260 SIM free. It would be nice if they could put the SIM free price on the Carphone website, so I don't have to go instore to get one though.

Alison

Guest nickcornaglia

Lists it as a Tri-Band phone...just like the original Touch is listed.

But the original Touch is indeed quad-band.

Makes me wonder if this phone is as well or if it is REALLY TRI-BAND

Guest Paul (MVP)

Er....

You wouldn't generally pay more if you're getting it on a contract, the prices are pretty decent.

'less hetero color'? Not sure what to respond to that ;)

P

Guest juiceppc
Er....

You wouldn't generally pay more if you're getting it on a contract, the prices are pretty decent.

'less hetero color'? Not sure what to respond to that ;)

P

Does anyone know if the O2 Nova has the double memory? I like the black color of the Nova AND the better phone buttons. BUT it's not rubberized. Is the Ted Baker rubberized? I don't think so.

So I was thinking about getting an O2 Nova and puttin my regular HTC Touch rubberized battery cover on it. At least the back will be rubberized and I'd have double memory AND those much better looking buttons and DPAD. BTW how is that dpad?

Edited by juiceppc

Guest Alsicole

So I went to Carphone Warehouse the other day and having seen the phone in the flesh....

I like the black one better. Now waiting for a SIM free memory-upgraded version with the original 5-way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.