Proposal for new Neo / Shadow Screens / Programs

Guest kwoodall

Guest kwoodall

Here are some designs for Neo I would love to see implemented.

post-199124-1195492060_thumb.png

A home screen alternative with the weather showing above time/date - which are also less cluttered than the current design. This home screen should be also shown as part of the MyFaves screen when the Faves are minimized.

post-199124-1195492053_thumb.png

My ideal incoming/dialing screen with the image filling the area as much as possible. However the current pictures stored with contacts are too small to make this truly desirable - however it would be really cool if this could be done and the pics stored could be stored in a larger resolution.

post-199124-1195492044_thumb.pngpost-199124-1195492034_thumb.png

Alternate dialing/incoming screens that still follow the Neo layout but use graphics either at the max of the current resolution or are simply pixel doubled as Neo does in Notifications and Text messaging screens.

These could also be done as a separate Caller ID program that hooks into these calls in WM6 and simply reuse the same graphics that Neo is using for backgrounds (although the left side icons would probably be ignored since this display wouldn't be accessible from the Neo interface).

post-199124-1195505008_thumb.png

This image shows a Contact Manager done in the style of the Neo interface. It's not actually a plugin for Neo since it's reusing the left side area for contact pictures instead of plugin icons.

post-199124-1195505031_thumb.png

This would be the view contact mode of the above interface. The right soft key would bring up the same menu as in contact manager so you could edit/etc this contact from the standard interface. These two interfaces would be the only ones to develop. Of course it would be super slick to use the same types of animations Neo uses in this as well.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Edited by kwoodall

Guest ExTrEmE
Here are some designs for Neo I would love to see implemented.

post-199124-1195492060_thumb.png

A home screen alternative with the weather showing above time/date - which are also less cluttered than the current design. This home screen should be also shown as part of the MyFaves screen when the Faves are minimized.

post-199124-1195492053_thumb.png

My ideal incoming/dialing screen with the image filling the area as much as possible. However the current pictures stored with contacts are too small to make this truly desirable - however it would be really cool if this could be done and the pics stored could be stored in a larger resolution.

post-199124-1195492044_thumb.pngpost-199124-1195492034_thumb.png

Alternate dialing/incoming screens that still follow the Neo layout but use graphics either at the max of the current resolution or are simply pixel doubled as Neo does in Notifications and Text messaging screens.

This image shows a Contact Manager done in the style of the Neo interface. It's not actually a plugin for Neo since it's reusing the left side area for contact pictures instead of plugin icons.

Also 2 & 3 could be done as a separate Caller ID program that hooks into these calls in WM6 and simply reuse the same graphics that Neo is using for backgrounds (although the left side icons would probably be ignored since this display wouldn't be accessible from the Neo interface).

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Wow if that can implemented it would be great. It makes the UI more user friendly and nicer.

Guest kwoodall
Wow if that can implemented it would be great. It makes the UI more user friendly and nicer.

That's pretty much my goal here. The weather 'plugin' would be the most difficult to develop as I can't see any way to do it without figuring out how to hack into the Neo interface directly. The others can all be little separate programs that reuse the graphics of Neo and the contact database image/information.

Actually I can think of one other way to do weather, but only on a regular Neo-based list of programs like in the Internet browser line. You'd have to have the weather program update the graphic used as it's icon with the current weather graphic/info and running the program would give you a full weather app outside of Neo.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest badbob001
Actually I can think of one other way to do weather, but only on a regular Neo-based list of programs like in the Internet browser line. You'd have to have the weather program update the graphic used as it's icon with the current weather graphic/info and running the program would give you a full weather app outside of Neo.

The home section background can be set to a graphic... perhaps if that graphic was updated externally, but I'm not sure when/if neo will refresh it self to show the change. If you only want the current weather icon, perhaps something like a mortscript can grab a current weather graphic from a weather page. To include text info, then either a local app or a middleman web server script would be needed to embed text over the graphic.

Coming from wm2003, I was excited about the photo capabilities of wm5/6, but was very disappointed that the photo is limited to 72x72 (even in outlook!). Look at that nice big contact photo in the concept picture (http://www.gadgetnutz.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=00410). Sadness.

Guest ExTrEmE
Having weather someone on the homescreen would be amazing.

I finally found a theme im happy with.

Im using the HTC TOUCH theme for smartphones with fizzweather and it looks great but i also like htc neo theme it would be nice if i was good at photoshop to fully customize the icons and color schemes

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kwoodall

I found out that that some of the new 'touch screen' contact programs (iContact, PocketCM) aren't too bad on a regular smartphone and they're starting to offer some decent skinning features. Perhaps once they get more stable, one of these could be used to make a Neo-ish contact screen?

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest kwoodall
So are there no programs or tweaks that would allow you to make the contact photo when you dial/receive calls larger?

So far no joy on finding such a mythical setting. Even worse it appears that the photo is actually stored in the contacts database in that small size.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

Guest badbob001
So far no joy on finding such a mythical setting. Even worse it appears that the photo is actually stored in the contacts database in that small size.

I think the largest you can get the contact photo is 72x96. It's slightly better quality to use an external program to reduce the photos to 72x96 before attaching into outlook, but even then, outlook recompresses the image with a very low jpeg setting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alboblood4life

this is real nice i love all your stuff man u are amazing hey i was wondering how do i get the link to download the cab files for this neo thing u talkin i would love to make my phone like that

Guest detwetter
I finally found a theme im happy with.

Im using the HTC TOUCH theme for smartphones with fizzweather and it looks great but i also like htc neo theme it would be nice if i was good at photoshop to fully customize the icons and color schemes

May I ask where you got the Touch theme for Smartphones?

Thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)

re: weather on homescreens, Fizz Weather Smartphone is the free app friday app today! Get it while it's hot :(

OK, so it doesn't integrate with Neo, but it's great and free too!

P

Guest detwetter
re: weather on homescreens, Fizz Weather Smartphone is the free app friday app today! Get it while it's hot :(

OK, so it doesn't integrate with Neo, but it's great and free too!

P

Nice, thanks Paul!! :D

• 1 month later...

your pretty much wanting the Neo UI changed about 30%

this would take some major coding to get done. perhaps a WM upgrade from Microsoft lol.

its not impossible, it would just take a lot of work.

if anyone is interested in working on it, i will be more then willing to help as well. i can take care of most of the registry edits and provide files, i just cant build a CAB out of it.

Guest Raremind

As far as the caller ID for incoming and out going, there is a proggie call Encallio http://www.nikafx.com/encallio/ it works well with the shadow and you can even download the skin that matches the phone. Works well but it does cost. Check it out, but I would love to see someone come up with a way to do this for free

I believe much of the changes on the neo home shall require writing a proxy for the cmhome plugin. A proxy would enable one to intercept any information going to and from the plugin, and modify it as required. Better, it would give us a handle to the display as well...so writing something on to it should become easier. Just an idea...but that's the direction I intend to take!!!

yeah thats gonna take a s*** load of programming. your changing alot of things.

i will try to get the Home menu of the Neo UI like that but its gonna be a little hard changing the date, time, etc like that.

it would also be really nice if i could add a URL to the image file.

an example of this would be like the iPhone.

its weather application connects to yahoo weather and displays an image depending on the time. it would be really nice to implament this to the home screen under the Home option.

yeah thats gonna take a s*** load of programming. your changing alot of things.

Yes, it will!! The good part...the template of a plugin is already available in MSDN. Getting only the proxy to work is not difficult...you just need to redirect the function calls in the template. The coding part is what you want to accomplish...the extra functionalities.

As far as the caller ID for incoming and out going, there is a proggie call Encallio http://www.nikafx.com/encallio/ it works well with the shadow and you can even download the skin that matches the phone. Works well but it does cost. Check it out, but I would love to see someone come up with a way to do this for free

Haha come on...it costs only 11.95$. You can't even buy a pizza with 11.95$ nowdays