Total Noob to Smatphones - SP E650 Help

Guest Ian W

Hi,

Where going to be getting a couple of smartphones in work early next week and its my job to set them up (IT Admin).

I haven't had any experience with smart phones so im a little confused how im going to integrate with my systems (Exchange 2k3)

Where getting a Blackberry Pearl 8120 and will be using the Internet Service that comes bundled with the phone to push email from the users inbox out to it, not to worried about setting this up, just need to ensure it will pass throught the ISA and hardware firewall.

My main concern is the Orange SPV E650, im planning on using Activ Sync to link this in with Exchange 2003, is this basically as simple as installing Activ Sync Web Interface on the server and entering the users credentials on the phone? Does it need to be Exchange 2003 SP2?

Anyone give me any tips ?

Thanks

Ian

Guest jimbouk

If you have Exchange Server 2003 R2, then server activeysnc is enabled by default.

The best way to set them up is to install Activesync 4.5 (if XP or WMDC 6.1 if Vista) on the users pc's, then conect the devices and set them to sync with the exchange server.

The key things to remember are:

1) USe the fully qualified domain name for the server - such as the owa URL

2) Export the self signed certificate from the server via the users pc (import it from OWA) to the device and click it to install it.

Then set the users to either sync as items arrive (direct push) or not...

I managed to get the 650 working with exchange and it was pretty straightforward.

Its the Blackberry that won't play ball now, was planning on using Internet Email Service only its not listed as an option on the phone :(

• 3 weeks later...