Photo

Installing Vista on the Eee 701 - i've done it and it works!

* - - - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

lpaso

lpaso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:TyTnII
I also tried to install Vista on my EEEpc.

Windows Update doesn't work after the modification, but I think there a problem with the permission... I'll try it later.
My question was about the Vista drivers and especially the ACPI. I used the XP version, and with this version (like my old notebook Asus V6V) I can't use the volume buttons.
With my V6V, I installed an ACPI from another notebook and now it works, but I can't find one that works with the EEEpc.
Anyone has found a way to use this buttons with vista ?

Thanks.

George Stanley

George Stanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Asus EEE, HTC Kaiser
I've made some progress on this issue so I thought I would repost.

I changed two things since my first attempt and now I can sucessfully redirect directories to the SD card. I'm fairly sure I know which change was the positive one, but I will post both just incase.

1) My memory card was originally formatted NTFS, I reformatted it to FAT32. I'm fairly sure this didn't make a difference, but I didn't test.

2) Rather than using NTFS junction points, I used a Vista symbolic link. Just replace "/J" with "/D". The command to link to the SD card then reads:

mklink /D c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs

This is what did the trick for me. The reasoning behind this is that Junction points have quite a few bugs, one of which is being a bit dodgy when stretched across different volumes. However mileage may vary.

The limitation of this method is that Vista Symbolic Links will not work under XP or Linux (I think, not actually sure on that one). Although they work alot like unix symlinks they are actually "fake" and done by the filesystem driver, so they will only work on Vista (or something else that has been explicitly made to follow them).

As for the ACPI issue, I'm getting the same problem. I've just realised its a rather funny bug with the ACPI drivers being designed for XP, and Vista having a per application volume control :) When they go to change the volume, Vista inteprets it as a volume change for the parent application, namely the EEE pc Services Application (you can see this if you open the mixer and then watch the bars for that app specifically). The ASUS ACPI prog needs to be swapped out for one that is designed for Vista rather than XP, which probably won't happen any time soon. Freeware apps exist that can replicate the functionality, such as this one:

http://www.freevista...me-Hotkeys.html

Hope this helps!

cdcellular

cdcellular

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:moto q
ive managed to get the vista iso down to 621mb. After i install i have 1gb free space and winsxs directory is 1gb. If i dont move the winsxs directory what exactly will happen? (besides running out of space) Will Vista crash?

HyperDriveFX

HyperDriveFX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can someone please tell me on how you getting vista down to tiny sizes?

swed

swed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Tried the installation, sucessfully untill the first reboot after scheduling the renaming/moving, but upon reboot windows will not work, not in safe mode or any mode. Reinstalled vista, followed the instructions again, and the same problem arose. In the command prompt it shows the two pending moves without error before reboot. Any advice?

LXSJason

LXSJason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:EEE

Can someone please tell me on how you getting vista down to tiny sizes?

google on: Vlite

smirali

smirali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've made some progress on this issue so I thought I would repost.

I changed two things since my first attempt and now I can sucessfully redirect directories to the SD card. I'm fairly sure I know which change was the positive one, but I will post both just incase.

1) My memory card was originally formatted NTFS, I reformatted it to FAT32. I'm fairly sure this didn't make a difference, but I didn't test.

2) Rather than using NTFS junction points, I used a Vista symbolic link. Just replace "/J" with "/D". The command to link to the SD card then reads:

mklink /D c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs

This is what did the trick for me. The reasoning behind this is that Junction points have quite a few bugs, one of which is being a bit dodgy when stretched across different volumes. However mileage may vary.

The limitation of this method is that Vista Symbolic Links will not work under XP or Linux (I think, not actually sure on that one). Although they work alot like unix symlinks they are actually "fake" and done by the filesystem driver, so they will only work on Vista (or something else that has been explicitly made to follow them).

can you specify the correct steps for moving this cursed winsxs folder? Did you just replace /D with /J and really worked?
Thanks...

P.S: I have allready destroy one Vista installation!

tetrahedron

tetrahedron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i followed the instructions exactly 3 times and it didnt work, kept getting BSODs

so I decided to use a fully functional, non vLited disc of Vista, booted from it, went into the repair console and did:

'xcopy c:\windows\winsxs.moved\*.* d:\windows\winsxs.moved\'

so far it is copying everything, long process as we know, hopefully this will work and I can then rename d:\windows\winsxs.moved to d:\windows\winsxs followed:

Go to a command prompt (again!) and type 'rmdir c:\windows\winsxs'. Then, type 'mklink /J c:\windows\winsxs d:\windows\winsxs'.
- To be sure everything is happy, in explorer browse to c:\windows\winsxs. You should see a ton of files. They're really on your SD card :D
- Reboot

After reboot, you should be able to delete c:\windows\winsxs.moved and FINALLY liberate all that disk space.

per directions

lets see almost done will report back

EDIT: Didnt work :D gonna have to try something else now, I will get it to work grrr

EDIT EDIT:

I think this might be very helpful for those who are getting BSODs or having trouble. I investigated some searches on ownership in Vista and found this article

http://www.mydigital...ories-in-vista/

It explains ownership in Vista and provides a batch file and how to use it midway through the article. I used the batch file called TakeControlOf.cmd after copying the 'Movefile' and 'Pendmoves' into the windows\system32 folder as such

run cmd with elevated priviledges aka as adminstrator

go the folder where takecontrolof.com is located, in my case a USB drive mounted as E:
ran E:\takecontrolof\TakeControlOf.cmd C:\Windows

waiting about 15 mins for the batch script to process, rebooted followed the directions by Paul (MVP) as directed :)

Edited by tetrahedron, 11 February 2008 - 05:43 AM.

smirali

smirali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

i followed the instructions exactly 3 times and it didnt work, kept getting BSODs

so I decided to use a fully functional, non vLited disc of Vista, booted from it, went into the repair console and did:

'xcopy c:\windows\winsxs.moved\*.* d:\windows\winsxs.moved\'

so far it is copying everything, long process as we know, hopefully this will work and I can then rename d:\windows\winsxs.moved to d:\windows\winsxs followed:

per directions

lets see almost done will report back

EDIT: Didnt work :D gonna have to try something else now, I will get it to work grrr

EDIT EDIT:

I think this might be very helpful for those who are getting BSODs or having trouble. I investigated some searches on ownership in Vista and found this article

http://www.mydigital...ories-in-vista/

It explains ownership in Vista and provides a batch file and how to use it midway through the article. I used the batch file called TakeControlOf.cmd after copying the 'Movefile' and 'Pendmoves' into the windows\system32 folder as such

run cmd with elevated priviledges aka as adminstrator

go the folder where takecontrolof.com is located, in my case a USB drive mounted as E:
ran E:\takecontrolof\TakeControlOf.cmd C:\Windows

waiting about 15 mins for the batch script to process, rebooted followed the directions by Paul (MVP) as directed :)

so the problem was the ownership part of the method?
after that takecontrol thing you followed the instructiond made by MVP and really worked?

tetrahedron

tetrahedron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

so the problem was the ownership part of the method?
after that takecontrol thing you followed the instructiond made by MVP and really worked?

well i followed MVP's ownership method, and while it does work, I found that using the batch script file I posted a link to previously was more effective in changing and maintaining the proper ownership of files not to get a BSOD, that was my experience

barfoo

barfoo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

well i followed MVP's ownership method, and while it does work, I found that using the batch script file I posted a link to previously was more effective in changing and maintaining the proper ownership of files not to get a BSOD, that was my experience

how do you get vista so small, i got vlite but can onlyu get it to 2.0 g

cochko

cochko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have xp for now and it works very good I am hoping that I will be able to follow you instruction and upgrade it to Vista. I also found a great tech support site and I used it to solve my troubleshooting problems. Here is the page for EEE PC problems

Good luck

CO

curious425

curious425

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:eee pc
Am I missing something?

What is the difference/benefit of moving the SxS folder to the SD card.
Why don't you just leave it there and install your apllication and user data to the SD card?

Brian.

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
As the SxS folder takes up a LOT of space, and can avoid any issues that may arise from limited write cycles available on SSD's...

I still exist

omnikohh

omnikohh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
ehi paul i have a problem with windows update. same errors of other guys(i can't update or install microsoft products).there's fix for this?what can i do?how to move software distribution folder in sdhc?please help.tnx

Edited by omnikohh, 07 April 2008 - 08:24 AM.

moses101

moses101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Asus R2H, Eee 4 GB, TX1250
Hi, I try to install in my new Eee Vista Ultimate following Paul instructions, but I find two problems initially. It is impossible fomat FS = 32 in my Vista. Then, when I introduce the USB Stick with ISO install, I get a message: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt. "

The computer has just left the box where he was received today and I have not tampered with the hardware. (Perhaps the tactile screen built?) Can i help me? Thanks.

konamininja

konamininja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:EEE PC, Acer Aspire 5101
i just bought a pearl white 4G eee, i was wondering will i be able to install windows vista home premium on a 500GB external hard disk and run it smoothly? thanks :D

Daichi

Daichi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:EEE
Nice post,

But I have a problem :D.
I couldn't install vista on my Eee.
This error came: "missing operating system".
Please help.

Tnx,

Daichi

Johnston411

Johnston411

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Devices:Sensation XL, Sensation
  • Twitter:@johnston411
Hi Paul,

would it be possible to create the flash drive vlite stick then put an 8gb sd into the eeepc and install vista to that?

I've got xp sp3 working well but want to try out vista on the eeepc. If i can do that while leaving the xp alone i'd be dead chuffed.

So i've discovered vista doesn't support installing to usb drives or to sd cards.

I've installed a vlited version and have 925mb left of the 4gb ssd. It flies with 2gb ram installed but i'm sure this will slow when i add anti virus etc...

Edited by Johnston411, 18 June 2008 - 01:15 AM.

BiztronicsIT

BiztronicsIT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi My Name is Adam from Biztronics in Australia. Thank for your Post it has been very usefull in helping me install Vista on one of my Customers EeePC.

I do however still have a few issues that you maybe able to help me with.

I have got down to the stage where where i am about to copy the c:\windows\winsxs.moved to the D: Drive.

I have a the EeePC Model that is 20GB from Factory, that is the 4GB Standard and the 16GB as D: Drive, so i am not using the SD Card just the internal Flash.

When i start to copy the winsxs.moved to the other partition i get a 0x8007048f error and i have to keep pushing retry and then eventually the machine dies and has a fit and reboots.

Can you help, it a appears thatwhen i am copying the Transfer timesout then copying and when i push retry it continues the copying og the files.

Anyway hop you can help

Regards and Thanks Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users