Photo

Installing Vista on the Eee 701 - i've done it and it works!

* - - - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

phelipe

phelipe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 3G
Hi there, This is my second atend to install Vista (Home premium), I did it a 840MB ISO and Instaled, everything OK, but as we all know (Thanks to Paul) there some necessary fixes. By my first atenpt to move WINSXS I did the 1 step at the comand prompt and REBOOT, after that only Black Screen and BOOT, no acess to Windows even on Recovery mode. Since this topic it's old (but very usefull) I would like to ask if there is any new method to get Vista working with no worries (My last OS was UBUNTU 8.04). Any idea? Thanks in advance

this is the video with my Asus eee 901 with Vista :D

bugmenot111

bugmenot111

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Devices:i900 OMNIA
What's the trick to getting the setup to ignore the fact that the 701 only has a 4 GB HD?

Wily Python

Wily Python

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:EeePC901
Hi all from another EeePC newbie

I get to pendmoves with no problem, but when I reboot, my 901 goes into perpetual BOSD-reboot-BOSD-reboot . . . etc.
so I never get to move winsxs - any ideas please.

Nekosan78

Nekosan78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Eee Pc 901
Thanks, this is Amazing!

So far its working fine for me, just moving it to the flash card now.

EDIT 2 Missed some bits! Il try again.

Thanks for your help ;)

Edited by Nekosan78, 09 October 2008 - 08:51 PM.

Emilio Mansur

Emilio Mansur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you tried these tips in Windows Server 2008?
I spent my weekend creating ISO files and installing W2008 on my EeePC, but I got BSDs when I use movefile and I could not move SoftwareDistribution folder and have the services working well :lol:

[]'s,
Mansur

Slev1n

Slev1n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Eee PC 1000H, Vista SP1

Edited by Slev1n, 16 December 2010 - 02:38 AM.

Andreesie

Andreesie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
First try yesterday night, I couldn't get more permission for the folder winsxs, but I didn't want to stop directly so I just did the rest of the list.
At the movefile part it went wrong. When I typed 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs c:\windows\winsxs.moved' it displayed an Error:5. Not knowing what it mean, I was going to 'movefile c:\windows\winsxs.link c:\windows\winsxs'. That went fine without any hesitation.
Rebooted, and typed 'dir c:\windows\winsxs*' and I didn't see the winsxs.moved directory, only the winsxs, although the winsxs.link was fine. Did above steps 3 times more and it didn't work.

This morning I wanted to try it again, but not without those permissions, thinking this was my problem. So I tried the TakeOwnOf.cmd, didn't help. A regkey I downloaded also didn't do anything. I looked at the code of TakeOwnOf.cmd, and I saw:

takeown /f %1 /r /d y
icacls %1 /grant administrators:F /t

typed the first line manually and I got directly a error, acces denied -.-'
typed:
takeown /?
then I saw the options,
typed:
takeown /F c:\windows\winsxs
and that was the trick!

Got through the whole process again, and all is working now. 'Just' 3 hours from now till al files are copied to SD.

Thanks already!
Andreas

PS: I got a EeePC 701 4G, don't know if that makes any difference, don't think so actually

Edit: ok, everything worked untill now. the copying went well, but then I did 'rmdir c:\windows\winsxs' and it said the directory didn't exist. I reread the whole tutorial, but I couldn't find out where it all went wrong. Does someone know this problem?

edit2: tried to just remove winsxs.removed, can't, no rights...
well, there are 300 MB of, but not the 1,5 GB I had...

Edited by Andreesie, 02 December 2008 - 07:53 PM.

azz2811

azz2811

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:eee pc 8g several ipods
hey paul,

i have an eee pc with an 8gb built in ssd do you think that i should get an external sd card for the sxs folders or just leave them on the built in sd card.

also i have a 16gb external sd card and i was wanting to some how link my "my documents" on to it could you please help thanks

alex

azz2811

azz2811

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hello does any one want to respond

peggyjay

peggyjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:eee900
Hey i followed the tutorial and ended up having a link between c:\windows\winsxs.link <===> c:\users\*username*\winsxs.moved :rolleyes:

not aware this i continued to move the files with "movefiles". on boot i got a BSoD

just for fun i tried the repair feature on the vista DVD, didn't do anything, but once it had finished doing nothing i got a CMD window up :)

manged to move the folder to "D:\windows\winsxs", recreate the link, and then reboot. it WORKED
still cant mange to remove "c:\windows\winsxs.moved" i'll keep trying, i'll post if i get any progress

EDIT:used the CMD in Vista Repair and deleted the folder with "rmdir C:\windows\winsxs.moved /S" Now i have 1.2GB free :(

Thanks Paul for a great guide.

Edited by peggyjay, 19 December 2008 - 02:46 AM.

peggyjay

peggyjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i have a 16gb external sd card and i was wanting to some how link my "my documents" on to it

(Replace [username] with your actual username eg. C:\Users\tom)

I moved the Whole "C:\Users\[username]" folder, heres how you do it

open a run window (winkey+R) type "CMD" then press enter
then write "movefile C:\Users\[username] C:\Users\[username].moved" then restart (Trust me)
when you computers back up, you should be logged in as a temp user.
now move "C:\Users\[username].moved" to you SD card then rename eg."D:\Users\*username*"
go back to CMD and type "mklink /J c:\Users\[username] D:\Users\[username]"
reboot.

now your user folder should be on your SD card, saving you about +300mb on your C drive

azz2811

azz2811

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

(Replace [username] with your actual username eg. C:\Users\tom)

I moved the Whole "C:\Users\[username]" folder, heres how you do it

open a run window (winkey+R) type "CMD" then press enter
then write "movefile C:\Users\[username] C:\Users\[username].moved" then restart (Trust me)
when you computers back up, you should be logged in as a temp user.
now move "C:\Users\[username].moved" to you SD card then rename eg."D:\Users\*username*"
go back to CMD and type "mklink /J c:\Users\[username] D:\Users\[username]"
reboot.

now your user folder should be on your SD card, saving you about +300mb on your C drive

thanks tons that helps a lot

peggyjay

peggyjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

thanks tons that helps a lot

no problem.

but you may have some compatibility issues if you dont recreate the XP compatibility links (since it doesnt copy them)

heres the links you need *replace user where necessary

Application Data <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming]
Cookies <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Cookies]
Local Settings <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local]
My Documents <===> [C:\Users\Default\Documents]
NetHood <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts]
PrintHood <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts]
Recent <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent]
SendTo <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo]
Start Menu <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
Templates <===> [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]

and you make then like so(via CMD)

mklink /J "D:\Users\Default\Application Data" D:\Users\Default\appdata\Roaming
etc...

doing this restores compatibility to non-vista programs

fbloise

fbloise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Twitter:@fbloise
Excellent!!

I will try on my 4G 701!

natedawg1013

natedawg1013

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910, Omnia2 i920
Hello! I am planning on getting a SSD for my computer and I want the speed improvement of having windows on it without reinstalling. Is a junction in vista strong enough to serve as the entire "Windows" folder and link to the copy on the SSD? I already asked on yahoo answers, but no one there seems to know what a junction is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users