what to choose? :s

Guest fusi

yo

i originally bought a an unbranded kaiser back at the end of September ish (iirc) and it was great - i loved the cleanliness of not having operator crap strewn all over it - unfortunately that unit was duff and managed to get my money back (literally a few days ago - bloody long wait) - so anyway, the vario iii is out now and its on the network i wanna go on (for webnwalk) and its like 200+ quid cheaper on contract...

HOWEVER!

the vario iii is obviously customised by the operator - i was wondering how extensive is this customisation and how easily can every little bit of it be reversed/restored/uncorrupted? the actual casing of the vario iii is this nasty looking (from what videos ive seen) silver shite that im really not keen on (if i could get replacement casing i would!) but i feel it might be worth 200+ quid to just put up with it (im sure itll grow on me)

so whaddaya reckon? expensive nice clean unbranded htc goodness or cheap fiddled-with customised nonsense?

cheers

fusi

Guest Transform

i have a vario 3 and i must say i like the silver casing much more. if you arent happy with the phone customisation you can always flash it to the htc version but again, i am happy with the t-mobile rom. and from what i have read, it seems that there is only really msn messenger missing which is downloadable.

Guest whatmeworry

I have the VIII too and am very happy with it - the software branding is unobtrusive (and easy to remove) and having web and walk (plus in my case) really brings the device to life.

As the others here have already said, the Vario III ROM is very subtly customised, visit the debrander thread pinned to the top of this Forum to remove the pink icons. the only extra app installed is F-Secure anti-virus, which can be removed in 'Remove Programs'

The only apps missing are Messenger and WorldCard Mobile I think, easily found on the web if you need them.

Outwardly the T-Mobile badges on the casing are easily removed, I used a copper coin on mine >LINK<, the only thing remaining will be the W'n'W logo on the internet button.

Overall I am very happy with my Vario III, and have never wished I had bought The TyTn II instead :(

cheers for your input doods! yea i wanna get flext20 + webnwalk plus - cant see an option on the webshite for it though :s i called them up and they said just get the flext20 and bolt on webnwalk afterwards - whacks up the price of the handset by about 60 quid iirc but hmmm - 60 quid or an extra 5-6 quid a month for the flext25 :s

anyway looks like im gonna go for the vario iii and maybe buy an eeeeeeeeeeeepc with the leftovers! ;D

edit: copper coin! ouch! sounds precariously and potentially hazardous! i am however now reading your link with diligence!

another edit: oooh that looks nice good job i shall be doing that me thinks - will it void warranty? :(

Edited by fusi

Oh yeah! always stick web n walk on afterwards, and not when you sign up. If you include it in your sign up contract you're tied into it for the length of the contract (I think), put it on afterwards and you can take it off anytime :(

Edited by mandt

Guest andrewkeith5

so if i go and buy a vario 3 from a store you're saying I should just get the normal flext 20 and then phone customer services to activate web 'n' walk?

Yeah it's what I did, I'm positive you're tied into W n W for the contract length if you put it on as part of the initial sign-up.

The only problem with that is that it's around £200 for the handset on Flext 20 :(

i called em up and they told me exactly the same as what you said mandt - that its better to 'bolt-on' w`n`w as that wy your not tied into it over the whole contract period - quite nice tbh - though the girl i was speaking to was rather nice

edit: 200 quid is a lot cheaper than 450 quid!!!

another edit: just placed my order :(

Edited by fusi

Guest andrewkeith5

i won't be buying anything till february at least, so i'm hoping the price will have fallen a bit by then and i'll be able to talk the nice guy in the t-mobile shop down, but thanks for the advice! i'll definately go with that

woooh my vario 3 came today! (well yesterday, but it was at the post depot) and im very happy with it! the silver finish looks a lot better in real life than it does in pictures, and i also quite like the look and feel of the front buttons too - better than the stock ones imo - flatter and easier to press - ihave yet to test the wifi and bluetooth together - this is the reason my first kaiser went back as i couldnt get the two to work at the same time at all! D: all in all though very pleased - t-mobile dont seem to have screwed around with the rom too much (although allthe icons are pink!) which is nice - still in the process of teting everything to make sure it all works but yea! happy chappy!

edit: also im very impressed by the customer service of t-mobile - top notch!

Edited by fusi

Guest dperren

As for the pink icons, they can easily be removed: http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-Kaiser-K...-de-Brand-0-3-/

I'm going to be acquiring a T-Mobile tytnii soon, so it's good to hear that they haven't cocked about with it too much. One thing I was wonder though: The contract I'll be getting it on very probably won't have a data allowance - and I'm very unlikely to want to be able to get on the internet except through wifi. Is there any way to turn off all the data functionality to prevent accidentally running up charges (and presumably saving battery life as well?).

Thanks,

Edited by dperren

cool cheers dperren

as for the bluetooth and wifi i _still_ cant get them to co-exist! argh!!!?!1111 is this a rom issue, hardware issue or is it just a generally bad idea to use both at the same time :(

edit: btw one thing that does peev me is that tmobile have replaced the battery icon with their own - i cant remember what the stock one locked like but i remember it having beter functionality - though i might be thinking of batti - icant remember!

Edited by fusi

• 1 month later...
Guest RapsKaiser

Is it possible to change the T-Mobile SIM icon for a standard one? (The one that appears in the 'Programs' group every time you soft-reset)

Edited by RapsKaiser