Connecting to a wireless LAN

Guest elDeeJay

Guest elDeeJay

My Phone keeps prompting me for the WPA-PSk TKIP encryption key. I enter this on the device, and i know its correct, but it tries to connect for a minute or so then pops up telling me it was unable to connect.

All other devices (e.g. Laptops) are working fine, so its definitely not a network issue.

Any ideas how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Guest johnyysmith

PDA noob here and I have the same problem. My ATT does not hold connection to a netgear DG834Gv3 router. The router is being used as a hub on home network. Other pc's connect ok Any advice welcome. I have tried using all the different security settings. At the moment it is set to wpa2-psk and failing to connect with unavailable or connecting showing continually. Only time it remains connected for any time is if I use the less secure WEP setting. It says available until I try to connect and then it shows as unavailable

Could it be because the device as a US model but the router is setup for European?

Any advice please?

Edited by johnyysmith

Guest hotphil

I've had trouble with this in the past. I just locked the router down to accept only approved MAC addresses and ignored encryption. Both can be too easily broken anyway so I decided not to worry.

Guest elDeeJay

Hmm...not really an option to me, not least becuase I want the security set as high as possible, but also I will connect to another network or two where i dont have control over the encryyption etc.

Guest Lidberg

Have you tried WPA-PSK? My Tilt works fine when connecting to both my Linksys WRT54G (with DD-WRT firmware) and Cisco 871W. I think I remember seeing somewhere that some WM6 devices had troubles with WPA2.

@hotphil - MAC filtering is, by far, the weakest way to secure your wireless network. You might as well leave it wide open. Yes, WEP is easily crackable, but WPA and WPA2 are not. I use a combination of MAC filtering and WPA-PSK with no troubles at all.

Guest hotphil

Cool. I may revisit it. I wasn't too fussed about my wireless security tbh

I think it was my PSP that refused to connect with encryption and as I've never since connected it up I should revise it all :-) Now if only I can remember my WAP password....

Guest blackrat62
My Phone keeps prompting me for the WPA-PSk TKIP encryption key. I enter this on the device, and i know its correct, but it tries to connect for a minute or so then pops up telling me it was unable to connect.

All other devices (e.g. Laptops) are working fine, so its definitely not a network issue.

Any ideas how to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

My phone (kaiser) has developed a problem with wifi after working well for the previous 2 weeks - it still connects to my wireless network perfectly - I can watch it say 'connecting' then 'connected' and it gives a good signal BUT it won't go to any web address, saying it can't be found. All the computers in the house connect perfectly and download etc - any thoughts please?

Guest johnyysmith

Was connected well yesterday via open/wep. Then I got the sim unlock code at last. Today when I turned it on it went to internet explorer it connected - but via the phone on 3 network. When I went to com manager/configure network authentication, the settings for my wlan had changed to having a tick in the box saying 'The key is automatically provided'. I'm on pay as you go and I cant afford to have it dialling the network, when it could use my home net.

I really need to get control of this and dont know how

Guest johnyysmith

Still working this problem. If I assign the router as a dhcp server I can connect to the router but not the internet. If I turn off the dhcp server I cant connect.

I imagine I need to assign a static ip on the mobile. But can anyone tell me which of the adapters need to have the ip assigned on. I tried it on one of them and got connected, but not to the internet

Guest elDeeJay
Still working this problem. If I assign the router as a dhcp server I can connect to the router but not the internet. If I turn off the dhcp server I cant connect.

I imagine I need to assign a static ip on the mobile. But can anyone tell me which of the adapters need to have the ip assigned on. I tried it on one of them and got connected, but not to the internet

I would have thought it would be the IEEE 802.11b/g Wifi adapter, but it seems this may not be the obvious process it should be.

Having set up dozens of networks (wired and wireless), this is more complicated than it needs to be! /sighs

Guest jimbouk

You dont need any fixed IP's. You just need to tell the device that the wifi card connects to the "internet".

In your wifi settings, click on the adapters tab and select the wifi card and make sure connects to "the internet" is selected.

Make sure you dont have any proxies set up that you dont need.

Guest johnyysmith

I do need to set a fixed ip because I am using my Netgear router as an access point, but not as a modem. It is used as a hub only for my home network and has the dhcp server setting turned off. My main pc is 192.168.0.1 and the router is 192.168.0.10. Second or additional pc's have to have a static ip in the 192.168.0. * range. But there are so many adaptors on the Tytn II its difficult to know which to play with

Guest jimbouk

That sounds overly complicated. Is your router the wrong sort to use as an actual router (ie are you on cable and have an adsl router or vice versa).

If you are sharing your internet connection from your pc to your router (with it working as an access point) then you are missing out on the single best defence against hacking etc... namely the physical hardware firewall that your router could provide.

Second major problem is when you are out and about, you need to change all your wifi card's settings to connect to any public or private wifi networks.

Guest elDeeJay

Managed to get it connected by:

a) setting an IP manually

:( broadcasting my SSID

but i dont want either of these really, certainly not the latter. At least i have MAC filtering working, if only i could hide the SSID i'd be happy enough :D

Guest jimbouk
Managed to get it connected by:

a) setting an IP manually

:( broadcasting my SSID

but i dont want either of these really, certainly not the latter. At least i have MAC filtering working, if only i could hide the SSID i'd be happy enough :D

Did you tick the "this is an invisible network" option?

Guest johnyysmith

Yes I am on cable. The router is between my pc's and used only as a hub for ICS/File sharing and as a wireless access point.

I'm very new to mobiles and wm6. Bit of a shame about having to reconfigure for other wifi connections. Is there a better way to do it that you can think of?

Guest jimbouk
Yes I am on cable. The router is between my pc's and used only as a hub for ICS/File sharing and as a wireless access point.

I'm very new to mobiles and wm6. Bit of a shame about having to reconfigure for other wifi connections. Is there a better way to do it that you can think of?

If it is a cable router, rather than an adsl router, then reset the router back to factory settings, then simply plug the cable modem straight into the WAN port on the router via a cat5 lead. You wont normally need to set any user details on the router.

Turn on the cable modem, then turn on the router and it will act as a dhcp server for both wired and wireless clients. Good idea to change the SSID to one of your own choosing and then add wep/wpa encryption etc.

(and remember to change your wifi settings on your device).

Guest johnyysmith

I should have been clearer. I have a seperate cable modem to the first pc. The router between the pc's is a Netgear DG834G v3 (ADSL modem) which is why I am only using it between the pc's. I know it would be nice to use a router with hardware firewall, but I'm relying on a pretty good software firewall - Comodo Professional. I repair pc's so have the Netgear for troubleshooting installations, as most people have dsl broadband. But it is very usefull for sorting out laptop/networkin repairs also

So is there any way to set up the firewall to both work with my system, and also other wifi without having to reconfigure? And I have to be honest, I thought WLAN and WiFi were seperate things and so there would be no conflict as I have only reconfigured the adaptor for IEE 802 adapter

Guest jimbouk
I should have been clearer. I have a seperate cable modem to the first pc. The router between the pc's is a Netgear DG834G v3 (ADSL modem) which is why I am only using it between the pc's. I know it would be nice to use a router with hardware firewall, but I'm relying on a pretty good software firewall - Comodo Professional. I repair pc's so have the Netgear for troubleshooting installations, as most people have dsl broadband. But it is very usefull for sorting out laptop/networkin repairs also

So is there any way to set up the firewall to both work with my system, and also other wifi without having to reconfigure? And I have to be honest, I thought WLAN and WiFi were seperate things and so there would be no conflict as I have only reconfigured the adaptor for IEE 802 adapter

Well that explains the issue then.

If it was me, I would buy a cable router. Plug that in to the cable modem and use it as per my previous post. Would cost you as little as £20 from ebuyer - or £100 if you want a Belkin N1 - which would give you amazing range and media throughput (if your wifi clients are "N" equipped). It would simplify your network and allow you to connect client's pc's you are repairing without having to set them with fixed IP's too.

Guest elDeeJay
Did you tick the "this is an invisible network" option?

Yep as soon as i stop broadcasting the ssid it just says the network is unavailable, whether the box is ticked.

Guest jimbouk
Yep as soon as i stop broadcasting the ssid it just says the network is unavailable, whether the box is ticked.

Try clicking and holding on the SSID and then select connect. I seem to recall that I had to do that the first time with one router that didnt broadcast.