S730 now in stock at Expansys (Mobile Planet)

Guest paholman

Guest paholman

Reviews are out there on the Pre-Production units, but if anyone has received their Production unit already, can they please spare a few minutes to provide the answer that all S710/E650 owners are dying to know:-

- GPS - Does it work? Is it enabled?

- Speed: How quick is it? Screen rotation, boot up time, Applications etc

- Size/Weight: Does it feel heavy (perhaps a comparison to the S710)

- Sliding mechanism/movement

- Call/Sound quality

- Overall 1st impressions

Many thanks in advance

Edited by paholman

Guest hotlips69

I can only comment on the speed at the moment, but can confirm that it is an extremely FAST phone with regards to starting/using apps..no discernable lag so far. :(

From pressing the power button to when the HTC home screen appears takes approx 40 seconds which I suppose is about what I expected. :D

The phone feels very solid and has the feel of a quality handset and I really like the sliding qwerty feel...it is very definite.

The picture changes almost instantly to landscape and then back to normal when the keyboard is closed.

Guest dearsina

GPS does not work, or at least, nobody has gotten it to work, there have been a few threads floating around about how there is no internal antenna to find GPS sat's.

Guest paholman
GPS does not work, or at least, nobody has gotten it to work, there have been a few threads floating around about how there is no internal antenna to find GPS sat's.

Some have claimed to connect to only 2 satellites.

Just a shot in the dark, and I am clutching at straws here, but my N95 needs to have the keypad slid out in order to have the best GPS reception due to the location of the GPS chip.

I'm just wondering if the S730 GPS works if you slide the keyboard out. Is anyone willing to test this?

Edited by paholman

Guest spacemonkey

My guess is that it's got the chipsets but in the end due to space requirements in the phone they decided to not include an aeriel, so it's gonna be a no go. Luckily I have an external bluetooth GPS so I'll just keep using that when I get one.

Some have claimed to connect to only 2 satellites.

Just a shot in the dark, and I am clutching at straws here, but my N95 needs to have the keypad slid out in order to have the best GPS reception due to the location of the GPS chip.

I'm just wondering if the S730 GPS works if you slide the keyboard out. Is anyone willing to test this?

Guest conan_troutman
Has anyone got a production unit and tried the GPS to give us all a definitive answer? :(

From what I have been told the s730 will not have the GPS enabled due to a contractual agreement with tomtom

as tomtom and HTC are now in partnership, and tomtom not supporting non touchscreen devices any more they have ensured that competitors to tomtoms sat nav program will not be readily available for use on HTC phones...at least the kaiser comes with built in GPS and tomtom sat nav.

Got mine today, not impressed with the feel of the phone, it's quite plasticy, hasn't got the rubbery feel that the S710/E650 had.

Otherwise very fast, keyboard is more tactile than the 710, it's a fraction bigger all round.

Not sure about the satnav, don't care really as I've got a Kaiser, N95 and built in satnav in my pick up.

Guest wasstoned

So I tried the GPS test software and managed to pick up a number of satellites unfortunately not all at the same time.....shame

I like the phone but I feel like the software(s) still needs some tweaking to get it spot on.

The keyboard is quick to turn the screen (my first slider) I also find it 100x better/easier for texting as I can type rather than predictive text ruling (expletives are not a problem).

I am a bit confused by the WiFi connection method. I have sent an email to HTC about it. Basically when I have no SIM in the phone I can surf over WiFi and it is quite fast and smooth. When I put the SIM in the phone the WiFi connects but the phone seems to ignore it as a connection means.

I don't like the way the phone is only half mentioned on the HTC site, in some places it doesn't even exist as a model.

I think the camera is good but like all camera phones suffers from low light stutter.

I will use it some more and let any oddities and niceties be known as I am a fan of these phones and would like to see them succeed

Guest Paul (MVP)
From what I have been told the s730 will not have the GPS enabled due to a contractual agreement with tomtom

as tomtom and HTC are now in partnership, and tomtom not supporting non touchscreen devices any more they have ensured that competitors to tomtoms sat nav program will not be readily available for use on HTC phones...at least the kaiser comes with built in GPS and tomtom sat nav.

That's rubbish! :(

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

There's no official HTC answer per se of course, but they clearly haven't managed to get it working well enough either in the software or (more likely) the antenna design.

P

Guest S710demon

This seems to me as a phone that came out too early. They just wanted to please the crowd that got the 710 but would like more speed from their phone.

Maybe if they just thought it out a bit more gps would have been enabled and would have gotten more customers to this phone I think.

Guest wasstoned

2 seems to be the limit with my phone, until i break it open to stuff an antennae in it! To be honest I'm tempted to send it back to Expansys and wait for the Asus to appear as a major reason for purchase was the GPS.....should've waited

I wonder if QuickGPS would make things better? Does anyone know where I can download it from?

Edited by wasstoned

Guest Paul (MVP)

Why do you say that? The fact you can see 2 satellites proves everything is pretty much in there.

I'm holding out a hope that it could be fixed in a future software update but, well, I suppose it's pretty unlikely :(

P