Anyone have problems running games on the Q9H?

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank

I've got a Q9H for software testing and it appears that the video memory is mapped in a very odd way. When I run various game applications the display is distorted and basically divides into 4 distinctive bands.

Does anyone else have this device and see the same issue? I have a workaround that I'm coding into games I'm responsible for (e.g. Namco's arcade titles + SmartGear).

Would anyone with a Q9H be willing to test a new build of these games to see if I've corrected the problem?

Thanks,

Larry B.

Guest deanhatescoffee

I'll test new games for ya. I tried to run PocketNester and I was able to get it to work, but the distortion (elongation) of the game screen was terrible. What's funny (or sad) is that, when I went into the PocketNester menu while playing a game, I could see that the game (behind the menu) looked normal.

Guest c2matrix

yes, I know the problem and corrected it.

the cxStride is 4096, that means each line of the display memory is now 4096 bytes(not 320*2 bytes!)

I have tested it on Moto Q9h (thanks to moto for give me this gift for testing:) )

you can down my game to see the effect :( :

http://c2matrix.com

Guest jfreiman

Isn't there a fix that Motorola can make?

I love my Dig Dug game and it too won't work.

It seems crazy that each vendor has to update/"fix" their games to support what seems to be a bug in the Q9h?

-John

I've got a Q9H for software testing and it appears that the video memory is mapped in a very odd way. When I run various game applications the display is distorted and basically divides into 4 distinctive bands.

Does anyone else have this device and see the same issue? I have a workaround that I'm coding into games I'm responsible for (e.g. Namco's arcade titles + SmartGear).

Would anyone with a Q9H be willing to test a new build of these games to see if I've corrected the problem?

Thanks,

Larry B.

I've had problems along the lines of what you describe when trying to run PocketNesterPlus and PocketSNES. Quite a bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest chocobo123

i have the same problem too with my q9h when i run pocketsnes. is there a fix out there that can correct this problem? does all q9h do that or is it just certain ones? i wanna play snes games on my q9h ;X. if anyone can help, it will be much appreciated. thank you!

• 1 month later...
Guest 88Saleen351

Just curious...I'm running a Q9M and don't have this problem.Could it be an issue with the pxa27x lcd driver? perhaps something was coded differently for use in AT&T phones.I thought the Q9M and Q9H were basically the same phone (internally as for the main chipset and board).I've found several settings in registry pertaining to display driver and video memory....just a thought since I'm constantly tweaking and hacking this thing.

Guest bitbank
Just curious...I'm running a Q9M and don't have this problem.Could it be an issue with the pxa27x lcd driver? perhaps something was coded differently for use in AT&T phones.I thought the Q9M and Q9H were basically the same phone (internally as for the main chipset and board).I've found several settings in registry pertaining to display driver and video memory....just a thought since I'm constantly tweaking and hacking this thing.

Apparently the Q9M and Q9H are not the same guts. The pxa270 doesn't have this problem, only the new TI OMAP CPU.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Isn't there a fix that Motorola can make?

I love my Dig Dug game and it too won't work.

It seems crazy that each vendor has to update/"fix" their games to support what seems to be a bug in the Q9h?

-John

Hi John,

If you're referring to the arcade emulator version of DigDug that I wrote, I'm working on a new release which fixes this problem. I'm not sure when Namco will release it, but it will be labeled something like "WM6 update".

L.B.

• 3 months later...
Guest Joe T.
I also have an ATT Moto Q 9h. I will test whatever you need. I am desperately seeking a way to run an SNES emu without the 1/4 of the screen wrap around.

John

[email protected]

Did anyone find a working version for the Q9h? Twistedfate, I am in your shoes buddy

if anyone happens to come across it, I can also be reached by email at [email protected]

I will be looking though until I find one!

Guest onedog31

I have a Q9h and I can play all nes games on PocketNesterPlus with the tgetfile.dll. It works great. (played Did Dug the other day btw)

I am still trying to find a SNES emulator that works without splitting the screen up though.

Guest n0nexistence0

I also have this problem with the SNES emulators, not the NES emulator though.

I tried the same files on a co-workers Q9c and it worked fine. No screen split. If it is a driver problem, the hardware manufacture would have to come up with a fix. If it is the hardware that is failing to display the video correctly. I submitted a support ticket with Texus Instrument Gaming support about this. I'll post any resolution if there is any.

Guest bitbank
Did anyone find a working version for the Q9h? Twistedfate, I am in your shoes buddy

if anyone happens to come across it, I can also be reached by email at [email protected]

I will be looking though until I find one!

This has nothing to do with drivers and TI will not fix it, it has to do with the fact the the video memory is laid out strangely on the new TI OMAP 24xx processor and if your game writes directly to video memory, it needs to accommodate this. I added support for this to SmartGear quite a while ago and I fixed all of the Namco + Konami games, so they should be released soon.

It's unfortunate that problems like this exist, but you can blame Microsoft for not providing a consistent and fast way to copy images to the display. Starting with WM5, they added DirectDraw, but it turns out that on some devices, that is slower than directly writing to the video memory, so we're still stuck with the problem since the video memory is so slow we use any method we can to update the display at a reasonable speed.

L.B.

• 2 months later...
Guest krazy1z

hello, i have the moto q 9h global from att and im trying everything ive seen to get nes games to work on my pho9ne and everything ive tried does not work. the tget files always say app wont work properly cause made for older version. does anyone knowhow i can get this to work please. you can also e mail me at [email protected]