Is the Ameo for me?

Guest Dr Who

It is upgrade time with TMob. I have two handsets, both currently Vario II's. Don't see too much value in going to the Vario III so I am looking about for other devices. What I really need is a sub-notebook. I have my 'portable' laptop, but I find that a pain to carry when I have to spend the whole day schlepping around London town. I often need internet and document access when I am with clients but the Vario II, whilst great when I am travelling, isn't so great when I am sat in an office for two or three hours. I was considering getting something like the Asus Eee PC, just to give me a superlight when I need to pop out for a few hours but I am wondering whether the Ameo could fulfill the same role? Would also mean I could pop the SIM out of my Vario II (or Touch, or whatever other phone I end up with) and just take one device with me. Is the screen big enough to spend a few hours on? Is the keyboard usable for that much time? Or would I be better getting something a wee bit bigger?

Guest Neil5459

I've just changed from a P3600 to an Ameo (2nd hand) and am very impressed by its overall capability. I do only use it like a mini laptop though- ie I don't use it at all for voice calls.

With decent software (like Softmaker's Planmaker and Textmaker) to ensure full Microsoft Office capability it could well be a valid solution for you. The screen size in not much of a problem- it's clarity even when zoomed into documents remains excellent. The keyboard however may be a bit of a trial for extended typing.

If you buy the extended expansion port, with USB and VGA connectors, it is a breeze to simply hook it up to an external monitor and USB keyboard, making it every bit as useful as a laptop of desktop PC. The ability to then stick it into your pocket is fantastic! Battery life with 3G turned off is excellent- up to 2-3 days with light use.

I've just changed from a P3600 to an Ameo (2nd hand) and am very impressed by its overall capability. I do only use it like a mini laptop though- ie I don't use it at all for voice calls.

With decent software (like Softmaker's Planmaker and Textmaker) to ensure full Microsoft Office capability it could well be a valid solution for you. The screen size in not much of a problem- it's clarity even when zoomed into documents remains excellent. The keyboard however may be a bit of a trial for extended typing.

If you buy the extended expansion port, with USB and VGA connectors, it is a breeze to simply hook it up to an external monitor and USB keyboard, making it every bit as useful as a laptop of desktop PC. The ability to then stick it into your pocket is fantastic! Battery life with 3G turned off is excellent- up to 2-3 days with light use.

Cheers Neil. Can you use the USB port on the device itself for keyboard and flash drives? Portable hard drive? Can you connect a bluetooth desktop to the Ameo? It is an interesting proposition thats for sure.

Guest Neil5459

I believe you need the 4 in 1 expansion cable to connect external USB devices, but I'm not sure.

You can certainly attach an external hard drive (again, via the 4 in 1 cable), as long as it's self powered, but I don't know about a BT Desktop, as I suspect some of the drivers for those may be PC only.

My colleague on 4WinMobile did a comprehensive review which you may find useful!

I believe you need the 4 in 1 expansion cable to connect external USB devices, but I'm not sure.

You can certainly attach an external hard drive (again, via the 4 in 1 cable), as long as it's self powered, but I don't know about a BT Desktop, as I suspect some of the drivers for those may be PC only.

My colleague on 4WinMobile did a comprehensive review which you may find useful!

Thanks Neil good link. Decisions, decision............

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squilla

If your looking for a keyboard for the Ameo try this ... http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?partner=modaco&i=113674

To use your Ameo as a phone try this... http://www.wirelessgalaxy.com/bluetooth/HBM-700.asp (Ignore the price as they are TONS heaper on ebay).

The above is my Christmas and birthday pressies from the kids :-) I have used the BT pen style headset/phone already and it works brilliantly, good sound, links up to BT well, it dials out fine and has a good BT range, I just cant wait until the big day when the kids let me have it!

I cant comment on the keyboard as I have to wait until my birthday to try that one <_<

Guest squilla

Thats a great reveiw! Just spent ages going through it and found out a few things I didnt realise I could do! I always wondered what that Vueflow thingy was all about! :( Im going to attempt the stereo headphone registry hack too, and I have just bought the 4 in 1 cable! :D

Thanks for that!

Guest Neil5459

I keep finding new things i didn't know!

The 4 in 1 cable is great, and means you can have the Ameo playing via a monitor, or even a large screen TV using the mouse as a navigator.

One warning- early ROM's did not include a mouse driver, but the WM6 ROM's are OK.

Good luck with the new Xmas stuff!

Guest squilla
I keep finding new things i didn't know!

The 4 in 1 cable is great, and means you can have the Ameo playing via a monitor, or even a large screen TV using the mouse as a navigator.

One warning- early ROM's did not include a mouse driver, but the WM6 ROM's are OK.

Good luck with the new Xmas stuff!

I have just recieved my cable, the thing is I cant get it to work with the monitor, TV and I have also tried to plug a memory stick in to the USB, I know it is recognising it as it picked up my camcorder (although there was a driver issue).

Is there some kind of setting to make the monitor work? I have tried the TV Out program supplied on the Ameo with no luck.

Is it possible that memory sticks could work via the USB socket?

Guest Neil5459

I've just tried mine with my 19" Monitor and it works fine- you need to go to Settings/TV Out and switch it on, then select VGA. Now turn the Ameo off, and back on again and the display should show on the monitor.

I've tried a couple of memory card readers in the USB port and they both work. My portable HDD doesn't as it needs power from the USB port, and not enough is supplied by the Ameo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squilla

Got it all working now, you were right about the reboot, although my setting dont make any difference. I got memory sticks working too, now the possibilities are endless!

Thanks for this great post! :-)