HTC S730 Memory Problems

Guest hbeader

Guest hbeader

I have had my S730 for a few days now and have noticed a pretty significant memory issue. It seems that when the device is turned on there is only about 15mb available and with minimal usage there becomes only about 5mb available and then you start to get memory errors when opening new applications.

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks..

I have the same problem, although to be honest I'm not getting the out of memory messages, but I do often use the task manager to keep things running sweet.

There's obviously something hogging the resources, I would hope HTC are already working on a fix.

Don't you have any contacts at HTC Paul?

Guest BeeryGaz

Same issue with my S730 too. Sometime it won't even sync with my Exchange server as it runs out of resources.

I hard ro reset my S710 after every use of "Remote SIM" mode, now it seems I have to reset my S730 every few hours to free up memory.

After a hard reset I have about 11Mb free and that goes very quickly. It's like HTC left a bunch of debug code in place or something. Here's hoping for a firmware upgrade sooner rather than later!

Guest BeeryGaz
Do HTC do firmware updates???

There's a ROM dump here:

ftp://xda:[email protected]%20rom/

mentioned in a post here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=1735087

I'm no expert at ROM updates so I don't know if this is aROM we all have or if it's an improvement of any kind. I guess this is the problem with being an early adopter .

Guest hbeader

I have not yet heard back from HTC, it seems that they were surprised by this problem and are just not looking at what the issue is. I am hoping that pressures from all of us will push this to get resolved within days, otherwise I can tell you I am already looking at other devices as this is not a "workable" situation. The countdown for me now is already now, it gets fixed ASAP or this device gets returned shortly...

Guest hbeader

Still no real response from HTC, other than they are looking into it. It seemed even the one they checked in the UK upon start-up only had 17mb free of memory..

This is really a surprise and too bad... I am starting to look at other devices now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 17-APG
Still no real response from HTC, other than they are looking into it. It seemed even the one they checked in the UK upon start-up only had 17mb free of memory..

This is really a surprise and too bad... I am starting to look at other devices now.

I am having the same problems on my S730. I have only approx 6 meg of memory and get approx 12 after a soft reset. I wanted to use the camera the other day and it would not even open the application. It stated out of system resources and to close programmes to free memory. Not good!!

I've installed Oxios Memory to suppress this problem, it works very nice.

Thanks for the heads up on that one but we should not have to go and do this on a £300.00 brand new device. HTC should have ensured that there was sufficient memory to run programmmes;a pretty fundamental task I would have thought. This is a real problem and I still have only 5 meg to play around with generally. My i-mate SP5 had around 22 meg available after a task manager deployment, a hand set manufactured by HTC.

There are programmes on the 730 that I would like to get rid of like th eaudio manager. Who needs it anyway when WMP is available within windows? HTC really do need to look into this and give us a new ROM update soon. :(

It seems there are a few reports of this, but i've not seen any discussion of fixes etc. as yet!

Bad show HTC!

P

Hi Paul,

Has HTC got back to you on this one yet?? The lack of memory is a real problem for me and I am sure for many others as well. HAve we any trusted way of being able to delete unwanted junk that HTC throws into the ROM??

Thanks for the heads up on that one but we should not have to go and do this on a £300.00 brand new device. HTC should have ensured that there was sufficient memory to run programmmes;a pretty fundamental task I would have thought. This is a real problem and I still have only 5 meg to play around with generally. My i-mate SP5 had around 22 meg available after a task manager deployment, a hand set manufactured by HTC.

There are programmes on the 730 that I would like to get rid of like th eaudio manager. Who needs it anyway when WMP is available within windows? HTC really do need to look into this and give us a new ROM update soon. :(

I'm okay with you, but until HTC doesn't release a new ROM update this tool can help users to clean unused memory

Hello all,

I bought a HTC S730 (european) and also have the memory problem. So contacted HTC support several times and send emails. They came back explaining that the phone has ram and rom and how the birds and the bee's work. After several emails explaining the ram problem, memory going down after using the phone, they finally came back with the answer: Please backup your phone-data and hard reset the phone!!!

Well, after this 'great advise' I thought I'd better call the support line. After an interrogation and asking my imei number from the phone they finally wanted to answer my question about the memory.

Then they said that I installed too many programms on the phone and that was giving the problems, when I responded I had nothing installed they told me it was because of the too many big emails that were in my inbox. I assured them that there were only a few and this couldn't be the problem, then they asked me to wait........

After 5 minutes holding they said they had a lot of S710's lying around and they all work fine and told me that is basically the same phone.

I managed explain them why it was not and to please check on a s730, then they told me that they did not have one. So they asked me to hold again......

When she came back on the line after another 5 minutes they told me that there were no firmwares in the works as this was not a known problem to HTC and she couldn't make a note of it because this problem was not acknowledged by HTC. I asked her to at least make a note of my complaint, but she answered she could not leave support-tickets open...

She also added not to worry, because a technical person in her team told her that even if the memory in the task manager shows 9mb free, the missing mb's are actually there, only the task manager doesn't refresh it properly.

Now my hope is, maybe somebody on this forum has a contact in HTC higher up that actually has some Idea if this problem will be addressed or officially will be real in the near future.

Hoping for some positive news,

RJB

Hello all,

I bought a HTC S730 (european) and also have the memory problem. So contacted HTC support several times and send emails. They came back explaining that the phone has ram and rom and how the birds and the bee's work. After several emails explaining the ram problem, memory going down after using the phone, they finally came back with the answer: Please backup your phone-data and hard reset the phone!!!

Well, after this 'great advise' I thought I'd better call the support line. After an interrogation and asking my imei number from the phone they finally wanted to answer my question about the memory.

Then they said that I installed too many programms on the phone and that was giving the problems, when I responded I had nothing installed they told me it was because of the too many big emails that were in my inbox. I assured them that there were only a few and this couldn't be the problem, then they asked me to wait........

After 5 minutes holding they said they had a lot of S710's lying around and they all work fine and told me that is basically the same phone.

I managed explain them why it was not and to please check on a s730, then they told me that they did not have one. So they asked me to hold again......

When she came back on the line after another 5 minutes they told me that there were no firmwares in the works as this was not a known problem to HTC and she couldn't make a note of it because this problem was not acknowledged by HTC. I asked her to at least make a note of my complaint, but she answered she could not leave support-tickets open...

She also added not to worry, because a technical person in her team told her that even if the memory in the task manager shows 9mb free, the missing mb's are actually there, only the task manager doesn't refresh it properly.

Now my hope is, maybe somebody on this forum has a contact in HTC higher up that actually has some Idea if this problem will be addressed or officially will be real in the near future.

Hoping for some positive news,

RJB

Great to see your tenacity on this. HTC are just messing us around. How can they say the memory is available even though it does not show it in task manager?? Do they think we are stupid??? The fact remains that there is not enough free memory in this phone when running several programmes at once. This was one of the reasons that I bought it in the first place. The memory on the 730 is like the SO-DIMM modules in a PC; memory is needed to run the programmes. I look on it as a desk, the bigger the desk the more files you can take out of the filing cabinet and open on it. Every day I get error messages stating out of memory.....I will contact HTC again today. This phone could be going back...

Guest hbeader

I have had the exact same issue here, HTC has even called me back a few times to suggest that I "return" the phone and they would even help me return it....

It seems they are trying to keep "noisy" people quiet. I have now spoken directly with 3 different support managers in the UK, each time... I get the standard memory fix responses and each time its as if its the first they have heard of it. I also have exchanged emails with at least 3 other different email support people, who also just provide canned responses. If they want people to return these devices, maybe that is exactly what everyone should do...

We should return them and post all over the web, DO NOT BUY this device notices.. Until this is fixed.

I can tell you that until this past month, I though HTC was a pretty good company, no... I would most definitely go with NOKIA or SAMSUNG, or any other device company that actually has some REAL customer support.

The HTC S730 is a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!!!!

Edited by hbeader

Guest Alcaline

Just to add myself to the list, the same problems apply for me..

I have not gotten a respond from HTC at all!

But why does not everyone with this unit get the same issue?

Some of them work fine... Are there different versions?

I am getting so sick of this, that I am going to return the unit, and if they dont want it back,

i will make them eat it.. Because this is terrible. And I hope no other people buy HTC products

before they improve there customer service, and takes their customers seriously.

Guest moneytoo

Everyone who needs more than one application running at time has problems with free RAM. :)

I guess the reasons are:

1) New system services / libraries / modules - 3G (stack), cameras

2) Physical RAM is smaller than on Vox. Vox has cca 57 MB but only 50 MB on Wings (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1816180&postcount=25)

3) Often applications arent closed properly and they stuck somewhere in the memory (when I close program manualy or is closed by system, Its still running in the memory as a process)

Guys it is not just a lack of memory, it is a memory leak.

After a restart, with no applications running, the phone reports 13,416Kb available but through use this diminishes to less than 3Mb over time even after using task manager to close running applications.

I am going to try running it without the HTC homescreen to see if this is the problem.

Guest hbeader

I have finally heard back from HTC on this as of yesterday, below is there response, verbatim. I am hopeful that we get a fix soon, but am still not sure they completely get it.

"Thank you for contacting HTC Europe regarding a query about the memory error.

This is now a known issue on which we are working to find a solution.

At the moment I could suggest you to perform a hard reset and keep aware of what could be causing the problem."

Has anyone else heard of anything of found a way to really fix the problem, not just run close apps all the time?

Guest ProbablyX

Hello everyone!

I just posted a memory leak problem too. I haven't suffered from it yet as my phone is only 24h old and I havent got my memory card yet.

However I have noticed memory vanishing, so I made a support request over mail. So that HTC will see theres a wide-spread error. I mean, only a true idiot would tell someone that has a brand-new phone, without a memory card or installed programs to do a reinstall!

Edited by ProbablyX